You are not logged in.

#1 15-04-09 00:37:12

wonder wheels

Yet another failed attempt

Well, here goes for my rant about the DSA!!!

I took the part 3 test again today, 2nd attempt and gave it my all.... take a deep breath....

Arrived nice and early to soak up the atmosphere of the Test Centre. The sky was grey and the wind chill was a bit too low for m,y liking, so was this a sign? There was no-one else in the waiting room, apart from a close friend who is also a PDI and is due to sit her test next week. I wanted her along so that she could sit in ad share the excitement going through the test, because as usual, TIC doesn't really give you a flavour of what it is like to sit the test.

My time arrived, met the SE and once confirmed my ID, walked out to the car. I didn't feel too nervous as I noticed that the PST was No3 - Ph1 Turn in the road & Ph2 Approaching junctions to turn either left or right. This I thought was going to be my lucky day as, as weird as it sounds, I actually enjoy the turn in the road and find teaching junctions easy. BUT as we know, I wouldn't be teaching an ordinary learner.

We set off and I managed to find & correct any faults on the way to site. I was really chuffed with my briefing and felt confident that I could show this guy I can do the job.
Well, he decided to drive away at warp factor 6, even although we had agreed on a snails-pace etc style movement. His turning of the wheel was granny-shifting which I tried t sort, but didn't really get the hang of as no matter how often I demonstrated it with my "fake" wheel, he didn't do it. resulting in the procedure taking him 6 turns. Everything else seemed to be good.

Moving onto Ph2, I felt confident in fixing all his faults & thought I'd done a not too bad job, giving it my all. I didn't rally have much to moan about here, so we ended up going back to the test centre. I gave him some good feedback, as well as some things he needed to work on, but ended on a high. He departed the car and thats when me & my assistant who'd been sitting in the back quietly started to dissect the test.

I thought about a speech to him, using the sob stories the X Factor contestants use: "This means everything to me" or "My journey has been long", or the trusty one: "My ill relatives dying wish is to see me pass...." type of thing.

Feedback form the auld-yin in the back was good. I know a few places where I could have done better, but overall, i felt confident. She had saw him write down a "4" on the form, but wasn't sure which part. Previously Ph2 was my weaker side so I have been really practicing to improve. She was convinced that I would pass and she was starting to doubt whether she would pass next week... then the man came back with the result.

Fail.

He gave me a 2 for Ph1. I was , how could he do this when I was so confident? Apparently I didn't notice him only looking in the mirror when reversing back & my remedial action to fix the clutch fault when doing the turn wasn't good enough. The rest of the phase was good and he commented on my briefing being 100%, so on the form he marked me down as unsatisfactory on coordination of controls, observation & accuracy. I couldn't believe it. How could he mark me down for accuracy when he didn't hit the kerb and overall did not a bad job?

The 4 came in Ph2 - which I was happy about - TBH I couldn't really care about other feedback at this point as, as far as I was concerned it was a pass.

He gave me good feedback overall and stated the usual, making him feel welcome, at ease etc.     To late mate!!

So to continue my rant about the DSA and the marking -
1. How can he mark me down from a 6 to a 2 with only 2 faults as detailed above?
2. Would another SE have marked me differently?
3. Can I appeal, considering I have a witness who sat in the car?

I am convinced there is a plan by the DSA to put people off, take loads of their money and generally make people sweat about an hours worth of work, which really isn't like any lesson in the 1st place!!!! I could go on, but it is getting late and i can't be bothered typing anymore.

Any comments appreciated - good or bad.

Thanks
j

PS. 1st attempt saw me get a 2/3

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food" W.C. Fields

"I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw that my bath toys were a toaster and a radio" Joan Rivers

15-04-09 00:37:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Yet another failed attempt

#2 15-04-09 06:25:24

hector
Verified Member
Website

Wonder wheels consider taking proper training and not appealing against the DSA.
Surely your 2 test results should give you a hint your not ready for the test? Your training to prepare you is simply inadequate, harsh but true unfortunately.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 15-04-09 07:22:51

la.monikita
Verified Member

I have to agree with Hector, get a decent trainer and practice hell of a lot! Even genius is 1% the rest is hard work! First step to success is to stop blaming others for our failures and learn from OUR mistakes.
The pressure has intensified now, as you only have one more go. DO IT RIGHT THIS TIME! This is your first post on this forum, but you can find all the answers here. Good Luck...you make your own luck, invest in yourself!!!

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#4 15-04-09 08:15:39

Aspyre

i know the dreaded TIC was mentioned but i see no direct evidence that the trainer was at fault.

what i do see is one big attitude problem hinting that it was every one (any one) elses fault.

seems unfair to blame the trainer automaticaly for that.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 15-04-09 08:42:56

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

so on the form he marked me down as unsatisfactory on coordination of controls, observation & accuracy.

The 2 was a result of him only looking in the mirror when reversing, this is a big no no (on driving test as well) You missed it beacause you weren't looking at the pupil (the most common reason people fail part 3)

Tips for future reference. On TIR before begining manouvre get them to creep forward and backward in straight line to establish required speed, this usually stops S/E from going too fast (doesn't necessarily work with real pupils  big_smile)

Always watch "pupil" like a hawk, you cannot correct faults you don't see.

Read the marking sheet carefully, on the left hand side is a list of faults S/E is going it try and put in. You then know what he is going to do.

If you trainer hasn't already told you all this, get a new one.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#6 15-04-09 10:13:21

supps
Verified Member

i agree with all that has been said so far. Remember that you have never seen this " pupil " before - in your briefing you may have used words such as " old man's walking pace " for the speed for the TIR - but is your idea of that the same as the pupil ? So before attempting the TIR, its worth checking that in practice. At the same time you can see what their clutch control is like.

Have they ever reversed before ? Even if they say they have, its worth checking - if you had done so ( and looked at them ) you would have noticed that they looked in the mirror not out the back window.

If you give the EX an inch they will take a mile. Your briefing may have been very good but the practical side is more important, espeecially in the artificial role play environment when time is short for you to demonstrate your ability to teach them something new.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 15-04-09 11:11:49

evanadi

Wonder wheels consider taking proper training and not appealing against the DSA.
Surely your 2 test results should give you a hint your not ready for the test? Your training to prepare you is simply inadequate, harsh but true unfortunately.

Good Advice

I have to agree with Hector, get a decent trainer and practice hell of a lot! Even genius is 1% the rest is hard work! First step to success is to stop blaming others for our failures and learn from OUR mistakes.
The pressure has intensified now, as you only have one more go. DO IT RIGHT THIS TIME! This is your first post on this forum, but you can find all the answers here. Good Luck...you make your own luck, invest in yourself!!!

Good Advice

so on the form he marked me down as unsatisfactory on coordination of controls, observation & accuracy.

The 2 was a result of him only looking in the mirror when reversing, this is a big no no (on driving test as well) You missed it beacause you weren't looking at the pupil (the most common reason people fail part 3)

Tips for future reference. On TIR before begining manouvre get them to creep forward and backward in straight line to establish required speed, this usually stops S/E from going too fast (doesn't necessarily work with real pupils  big_smile)

Always watch "pupil" like a hawk, you cannot correct faults you don't see.

Read the marking sheet carefully, on the left hand side is a list of faults S/E is going it try and put in. You then know what he is going to do.

If you trainer hasn't already told you all this, get a new one.

Good Advice

Rest is up to you. Ev

#8 15-04-09 13:13:27

Aspyre

yes thank you.. your roundabout point is taken about my comment evan  roll

Still no evidence that TIC is the problem and candidate seems to think it was examiners fault he/she failed.

Make up your own mind  roll

#9 15-04-09 15:41:45

steved

Wonder I would not even consider appealing against the result, you were told by the SE
exactly why you failed.
If this were a pupil they would have failed a driving test with serious and possibly dangerous faults
on the turn in the road.
Take it on the chin, and while I don't wish to criticise your trainer, if they were sat in the back
and didn't see anything wrong with phase one, well do i need to say more.
Good luck on your final attempt!!!!!

#10 15-04-09 15:52:22

evanadi

Still no evidence that TIC is the problem and candidate seems to think it was examiners fault he/she failed.

Sorry Aspyre my mistake I did that post in between lessons and rushed it a bit, your point is valid and true. To be honest I deleted the post once because I ended up quoting all four answers in one quote, then re-did it and omitted your comment. Apologies for that. Ev. wink

#11 15-04-09 16:26:44

Aspyre

No probs evan... me being over sensitive smile

#12 15-04-09 16:36:30

starpassdrivingschool

Try and take the positives out of todays check test you passed phase 2 and your breifing was 100% which is a very good basis for next test i failed my second part two an felt exactly the same it really dented my confidence i failed on e.s use of mirrors ultimately because i was under prepared because i was not looking at pupil i was looking at road ahead for dangers and problems ahead i had been on a pink with bsm doing loads of hours and i always thought that i should look at the road to prevent problems occuring. i switched trainer after this and he did alot of exercises with me to make sure i was looking in the right place and right time this really helped me with part three and i passed 3rd time with my least favourite subject ped crossing i got a 4/4 as i said it is gutting but you will appreciate it more when you do pass having failed good luck with next test.

#13 15-04-09 18:02:08

hector
Verified Member
Website

Unfortunately Aspyre I bet the trainer is the one blaming the examiners, heard it time and time again from TIC trainees (The examiners fault). One guy I had didnt look for control faults on TIR, because his 'trainer' said not to expect them. Another trainee had been told her 'trainer' was grade 6 and all of them were, till she dragged it out of him he hadnt yet had a check test and had been qualified less than a year.

Time and time again TIC trainees are told they are ready, when they have zero chance of passing. Its not the trainees fault its the trainers 90% of the time. While TIC use their traditional method of letting the trainees train themselves on pink licences nothing will change. Again all harsh but all true. (Most of the time, before the good ones come out of the woodwork  smile There are some good TIC trainers just never met one yet. Come on where are you?

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#14 15-04-09 18:11:44

Aspyre

hector i think quite a few people on here and other places have said at one time or another they trained with TIC and had a good trainer.. quite a few independant trainers were once tic trainers and no one has a problem with them..... do they suddenly become good over night when they leave??

i feel it is just people who hate tic hearing what they want to hear and saying what they want to be true a lot of the time.. TIC is far from perfect but it certainly isnt as bad as some would have every one beleive.. and that goes for other schools.. in fact most large schools tourting for business are no better and no worse than tic.. tic is just the one people love to hate.

just as an adi is only good or bad as an individual..... NOT the school they are franchised to..... so a trainer is not automatically bad because of the school they train for.

there are so many nay-sayers that in just the same way as people franchised to certain schools keep there heads below the firing line... I dont for a second think any TIC trainer would be foolish enough to poke THERE heads up when all the guns are aimed at them as they appear to be here.

#15 15-04-09 18:38:32

starpassdrivingschool

I cannot see why tic would want to emply trainers that are sub standard surely this would damage tic`s reputation as an instructor training college. Is it just cheap labour for them then.

#16 15-04-09 21:46:25

Luchell
Verified Member

Whilst more talk about TIC is most exciting and interesting perhaps we could get back to the original posters post rather than just the people they have trained with...........

Some great constructive advice has been offered to the op so far.

smile

#17 15-04-09 21:57:39

hector
Verified Member
Website

If just 1 PDI reads this thread and thinks twice about chucking away three and a half grand, being trained by trainers who have only just qualified themselves, then my work is done.

Anybody in the know, knows how bad they are based on knowledge and experience.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#18 15-04-09 22:35:48

evanadi

Coming back to the original post, which I think has been written in the heat of the moment, with a large amount of emotion, frustration and annoyance in its content.

The facts as I see them are this:

For a candidate to take a part 3 test they need to be trained assessed and ready to take the test, that assessment is in the hands of the trainer, they are the qualified individual, the trainee should listen to their advice.

On two occasions this candidate has ended up with almost identical results. Meaning that nothing has changed really in the standard of instruction. So effectively two attempts have been taken for the same result.

I am not going to get into the argument about TIC etc, not really interested in that side of things.

I do however agree with what hector and monica have mentioned in earlier posts about training and this being the last chance, wonderwheels you need to do a lot more training before you risk your next attempt.

Lastly it really is no good saying the DSA SE is wrong in their assessment of the test, or appeals or anything else, that is just anger. The bottom line is (like it or not), every candidate has to pass the part 3 test, the rules are the same for all of us.

Lets look at it another way, how often do pupils come back from a driving test and fail, claiming that they were cheated, if they do its normally the ones that were not ready. The fully prepared pupils even if they fail, take it on the nose and continue with lessons.

The only thing wonderwheels can do now, is shut up, listen, and get stuck into training, blaming everyone and everything may get rid of the anger, but it won't resolve the problem. Ev

#19 15-04-09 22:49:10

Luchell
Verified Member

I have attempted to clean this thread up and get it back on track. Please avoid personal diggs, this is not aimed at anyone in particular, more a reminder. Thankyou.

#20 15-04-09 23:40:30

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Any comments appreciated - good or bad.

As to credibility

Nigel Dawson Ba (Hons) Driver Education

Grade 6, Dia Dip, DSA Ordit 1,2 and 3 grade 6, DSA fleet registered, DSA Fleet accredited course,Diamond advanced instructor and examiner,7303 City & Guilds,Safed trainer,Cardington grade A, Rospa gold, Iams.

Seems very credible to me.

The champions of the right to hold an opinion ought to remember that others have the same right. Those that dislike how that opinion is expressed can always complain to the moderators.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#21 16-04-09 00:15:37

Aspyre

Quite right, SnaxMuppet.. Being a Grade 6 doesnt make people automatically right.... especially when they are expressing opinions.. It some times seems to make them think that they are though.

#22 16-04-09 21:29:42

wonder wheels

Many thanks for the replies.

I have taken on board the opinions and probably did post in the heat of the moment. The frustrating part is that I don't have a "trainer"as such. I completed my hours at the college in January and as far as I was led to believe that was me finished there. I have used 2 Ordit trained instructors in my area for training. The 1st guy ripped into me because I am undercutting him in the prices (not wanting to say who I have my franchise with after reading other posts lol), and basically spent most of the time moaning that I would be taking his customers away and that I was also the most hated man in my area. At that point I wanted to punch his head through the window.

I was subsequently advised to try another guy who was great, but I only managed to get a further 4 hours training with him. I am not in the position to pay for the training which I think I need as I have forked out in the region of £5k already. I have considered using the last of what I have to get help from Blaine, as mentioned in another post, but talking about finances etc would probably depress you all - lol.

After a lot of thought, I aim to spend at least 1 day per week training and will consider getting help from Blaine (subscribing to his forum now). I spoke to an SE in my local test centre today who gave me some good advice (he was the 1 that failed me initially). What I am taking out of this is that I have worked harder to pull up my score on PH2, but need to re-focus and get better at PH1, whilst doing both phases better together to get a decent result on my last shot. (hope that make sense).

I am determined to do better and will ensure that I give every day 100% to achieve being an ADI.

Thanks

"I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw that my bath toys were a toaster and a radio" Joan Rivers

#23 16-04-09 21:38:33

la.monikita
Verified Member

What area are you in?

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#24 16-04-09 21:45:06

wonder wheels

pm sent

#25 20-04-09 00:01:21

dcbedford
Verified Member

Hi Wonder Wheels,

I trained with TIC and passed part 3 at the third attempt.

Have you talked to the TIC college you are using, unless you are on a different agreement than the one I was on you can request additional training from them AT NO COST before your final attempt at part 3. I managed to arrange my extra training with a different trainer to the one that had done most of my training for the first two attempts. I also topped up this training by having extra sessions with an in-house trainer from the Driving School I'd taken out a franchise with.

Dave

Part 1 - Second attempt - Passed 7/9/06 98/61
Part 2 - First attempt 1/12/06- Failed 8 minors
Part 2 - Second attempt 5/12/06 - Failed different 8 minors
Part 2 - Third attempt 11/1/07 - Passed 4 minors
Part 3 - First Attempt - 7/8/07 - PST 1 5/3
Part 3 - Second Attempt - 11/9/07 - PST 7 2/3
Part 3 - Third Attempt - 25/3/08 - PST 3 5/4 Passed at Last
First Check Test - 2/9/09 - Grade 4

Board footer