You are not logged in.

#1 11-04-09 12:49:45

mazmw

Driving Instructors

Hi, I have just found out my "instructor" wasn't legal, I've paid alot of money to him and feel so stupid to have been taken in. I am determined not to let that happen again so want to know i am with a good instructor next time and wondered if you can take lessons from different instructors around the same time? Until i find one i want to settle with then i would stay with that one. Any advice please.
Maz

11-04-09 12:49:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Driving Instructors

#2 11-04-09 13:27:03

ExAdiNigel

You can have lessons with as many instructors as you like.  If you have found the 'instructor' you were with wasn't legal, please, please, please report him to teh Police and the Trading Standards Office in your area.

Next time, make sure the instructor that turns up is displaying a green badge with an octagon or a pink badge with a triangle.  If they are not then walk away before you pay any money.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 11-04-09 13:35:45

mazmw

Thank you for your advice, He did have a badge displayed but because until recently i didn't know what i was looking for I didn't realise it was dodgy. I won't be took for a fool again that's for sure. I wish i had gone with my gut instinct in the beginning but i was that desperate to drive i ignored it - big mistake, that is why i want to be really sure my next instructor is the right one for me.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 11-04-09 13:42:37

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Sorry to read a post like this...unfortunately in every walk of life/business there are those who try and rip innocent and trusting people like urself off   roll
Ask friends for reccomendations..while ur out and about make a note of instructors in your area...hind sight is a wonderful thing, but no help when uve paid out ur hard earnt cash!!!
Do a search for your area on here, or ask on a post for ADI's in ur area...its ur money, youre the customer and now u kno the questions to ask...Good Luck  big_smile alot of us out there are hard working honest instructors who take pride in our jobs!

#5 11-04-09 14:15:50

ExAdiNigel

Although he had a badge, if you suspect he was illegal it is still worth reporting to Trading Standards or the Police - then that is one less person who can fool future pupils.

Good luck in your next choice.  Binty has given some good advice there.

Nigel

#6 11-04-09 15:06:50

driver69

Hi mazmw, just curios what happened to make you suspect or find out your instructor was illegal?

Anyone know if it is possible or worth it in a case like this taking the "instructor" to court to get money back as he was paid for a service he was not legally allowed to provide?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 11-04-09 15:27:47

mazmw

Hi mazmw, just curios what happened to make you suspect or find out your instructor was illegal?

Anyone know if it is possible or worth it in a case like this taking the "instructor" to court to get money back as he was paid for a service he was not legally allowed to provide?

I started reading online about lessons and what should be learned in them as i just knew something was not right and started to question him but i had my driving test and failed, the kind examiner said no instructor should have put me in for my test as i was a nervous wreck and i am not up to test standard so on the way home i told my instructor that i wish he hadn't have talked me in to going for my test (i wanted to put it off a few weeks as i didn't feel i was a good enough driver myself to be taking it) and he asked me not to report him, so on asking what he means he decided to tell me that actually he does not legally own his green badge, he only has a pink badge and he failed his 3rd part of his instructor training and didn't retake it in time, he gave a sob story on how he is just trying to provide for his family but that man has made alot of money out of me, and others. now i have even more money to find for more lessons and another test. Sorry for ranting but i am so annoyed, not only at him for ripping me off but at myself for being so dumb in the first place and not checking before taking lessons in the first place. Maybe its cos i am blonde lol but cos he ad the L thing on top of the car and he did display a badge i never questioned him until it was too late. I will be much more careful this time.

#8 11-04-09 15:47:22

ExAdiNigel

Hi Maz,

He needs reporting.  He is taking money under false pretences.  You've been conned and so will others be.

Where are you based?  If you don't feel able to report him then I will help you. 

pm me if you want my phone number for a chat.

Nigel

#9 11-04-09 16:49:30

FRANKS
Verified Member

MAZMW,

You can report him to the police or even trading standards. But the people you really need to go to is the 'DSA fraud and integrity team'

Phone 02920581155 (office hours)
02920581290 (out of hours)
or email integrity.team@dsa.gsi.gov.uk

Surprised Nigel didn't know this.

MAZMW, you could take this illegal instructor to court to get all your money back. Talk to the integrity team and I'm sure they will help you.

FRANKS

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#10 11-04-09 16:59:26

ExAdiNigel

Why do you assume I didn't know about teh DSA integrity team Franks?

What's wrong with reporting it to Trading Standards?  They're local and Maz may find it more convenient to pop in there and talk to someone face to face.

Nigel

#11 11-04-09 17:01:14

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Sorry about your experience and i agree with previous posts.
Talk to your mates who have had good experiences;they will give you the best advice.
Take an assessment lesson;the ADI assesses you whilst you assess the ADI.
Hope you find a good'un;most are.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#12 11-04-09 17:20:00

VandADI
Administrator

Hi Maz,
I am sorry to hear about your bad experience and can assure you we are not all like that.
If you are interested in finding a new instructor you could try asking on this forum, alternatively, go to the top of this forum and to an instructor search using this forums' instructor directory.
Good luck.

#13 11-04-09 19:36:30

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Id just like to point out...nothing is ever guarenteed...whether it be a big named school or an individual ADI...not having a dig at u star..just making a vaild point  smile

Maz...being blonde has nothing to do with it...be blonde and proud of it  tongue

Do your homework, find someone who suits ur needs...and enjoy learning to drive!  big_smile

#14 11-04-09 19:54:20

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Star;you do have a knack of winding people up or talking nonsense:
re: big schools
I have just taken on a pupil who was not happy after 12 lessons with one of the big 2[no pdis].
She has never driven from home,never driven back home,been to the same rundown estate for 6x2hrs,spent 1.5 hrs at the side of the road'practising' steering and changing gears,never done a r/about or traffic lights.
Her confidence was through the floor.
I have taken her for 2x2hours;on the 1st lesson after eventually getting her over 5mph and getting her to actually have to use the brake to stop the car and getting her into 3rd and 4th for the 1st time,went brilliantly and todays was even better.She has alot of ability but hasn't been allowed to show it.
re:blondes
I took Nigels offer as i am sure it was intentioned;trying to help someone who has been badly let down.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#15 11-04-09 20:01:01

digit
Verified Member
Website

Surely though it isn't the size of the school, national or indie, but the instructors in the cars .....
there will always be good, bad or indifferent irrespective of what it says on the livery!

Donnie ADI.

#16 11-04-09 20:05:45

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi digit
Agree entirely;thats why word of mouth from pals with good experiences is a pretty good guide.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#17 11-04-09 20:09:58

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

....hope u find a new instructor maybe you could try a bigger firm like bsm or ldc you will be guaranteed a good instructor then.

No disrespect to BSM or LDC instructors, but "a bigger firm" doesn't necessarily "guarantee" anything of the sort.

Are you seriously suggesting that ALL BSM and LDC instructors are "good" simply by the fact that they are franchisees of BSM or LDC?

What grounds do you have for what seems to me to be an extremely broad generalisation.

Have you overlooked the fact that both BSM and LDC use trainee instructors, many of whom will NEVER qualify as ADI's? That fact alone, contradicts your comment that Maz will be "guaranteed" a "good instructor"...

@ Maz, ask people you know if any of them have learned to drive recently or know someone that has for recommendations. If you get the name of a recommended instructor that works for a bigger driving school ask SPECIFICALLY for that particular instructor. Do not assume that EVERY instructor that works for a particular firm is good just because one has been recommended.

If you don't get any recommendations, ring around a few schools and have a chat. Go for one that seems open and easy to get on with. Ask for an assessment/introductory lesson so that you can get to know whoever you choose before you commit to more than one lesson.

Don't assume that a cheap lesson price offered necessarily means a bargain, nor that expensive necessarily equates to top quality.

Here's a link to a website that offers some advice about what to look for when choosing a driving instructor - How To Find A Good Driving Instructor

Good luck - and as others have said, please report this person or else he'll just do to others what he did to you...

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#18 11-04-09 20:10:40

digit
Verified Member
Website

It's the best ad and the biggest compliment that any ADI can get Peter.  big_smile

Donnie ADI.

#19 11-04-09 20:14:19

starpassdrivingschool

Loopy lou i think you need to use some common sense why would bsm or ldc risk there reputations by employing sub standard instructors all there instructors are guaranteed to be legal to teach people to drive whether they are trainees or not and at least trainees are up to date with modern teaching methods.

#20 11-04-09 20:24:36

Aspyre

peter you come over like you are sugesting that the school in question is at fault especially judging from the detail you have gone into.. that's just as bad as what starpassdrivingschool is trying to claim and which wound you up.. i'm sure you didnt mean it but that is exactly what it sounds like.

as digit said it is the invidual adi who is responsible whether he is indey or with a school (and whether it is a "big" school - even the one starpassdrivingschool deliberately and obviously omitted from his "big two" because he hates them so much - or a small one).

starpassdrivingschool BSM employs PDIs and 90% or more will never become adis so dont talk such utter rubbish about not employing substandard trainers.. for all you know the bogus adi being referred to here could have been a failed BSM pdi.. i suppose he or any other failure was great while he or they was with them eh??

#21 11-04-09 20:27:41

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

Loopy lou i think you need to use some common sense why would bsm or ldc risk there reputations by employing sub standard instructors all there instructors are guaranteed to be legal to teach people to drive whether they are trainees or not and at least trainees are up to date with modern teaching methods.

They may be "guaranteed" to be legal but they are not "guaranteed" to be "good".

A trainee who eventually fails to qualify as an ADI cannot possibly be described as a "good" driving instructor.

YOU need to apply common sense when giving advice and not make generalisations.

Why not advise Maz to try the AA? ALL their driving instructors are fully qualified...

Why not advise Maz to try other driving schools or independent ADI's...or by your classification, can none of these people be considered "good"?

As others have said, it's the quality of the individual instructor that counts, not the name on the roofbox...

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#22 11-04-09 20:36:01

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
I agree with you Aspyre,and may not have written my post clearly.I have NO complaints about the big driving schools;only that being part of a big driving school is NO guarantee that the instructor is good.Nor did i mean that pdis are no good either;like every other business;some are good and some are not.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#23 11-04-09 21:39:33

ExAdiNigel

Didn't you spend some time with BSM & the AA Star?

Nigel

#24 11-04-09 21:43:09

starpassdrivingschool

Yes i worked for them both why??

#25 11-04-09 21:49:58

mazmw

Thank you all for your advice xx

Board footer