You are not logged in.

#1 11-04-04 18:32:16

AliceM

Taking on a trainee

Hi
I have been instructing for 18 months now and would like to take on a trainee (or a trained ADI come to that) to build up my school.  Does anyone have any advice of how to be a good supervisor / franchisor?  I never took out a pink badge and went straight out on my own whenI qualified so have no experience to guide me.

Thanks for your help
smile

11-04-04 18:32:16

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Taking on a trainee

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 13-04-04 17:56:16

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Not having any experience of taking on a PDI but, Or a 'pink' for what it's worth, here's my thoughts.

Before you take the PDI on, give them an assessment of his/her instructional skills.

Just because he/she ain't qualified doesn't mean a poor instructor. If he/she is a good instructor,then great. big_smile   what matters in my book is that the pupil is getting value for money and if you feel that this PDI will be able to offer that then The colour of the badge doesn't make a lot of difference.

Personally, I would prefer to be taught by someone who is keen and enthusiastic about the job than by someone who doesn't give a *%$ and just wants money, regardless of the colour of the badge.

Are you thinking of letting them use your car or must they get one of there own ?
How much are you going to charge them ?
Are you going to advertise for them ?
Do you think they will leave when part 3 is done ?

I feel this could have a lot of pitfalls, Like i say i haven't gone down this path but maybe others on the forum may be able to help you.

Good luck with it all and let us know how you get on smile

#3 13-04-04 18:30:45

AliceM

Thanks for your comments.  Yes I am worrying about all those questions you pose concerning a school car (more possible takers) or their own car (much easier for me), how much to charge to cover costs (I'm taking out a larger Yellow Pages advert but will this be enough?).  You hear about trainees being ripped off and I wouldn't want to have someone saying that about me - on the other hand I don't want to lose money...

To be honest I don't see how I could assess their instructional skills when they've probably only just passed their In car training - I was thinking I'd assess their attitude by an interview....

Are you on your own?  Have you thought about taking someone else on?    If not why not?  How would you go about finding a trainee?

Cheers

#4 13-04-04 20:04:16

Badger

First of all  - have you got enough work to justify taking on a trainee/ADI.

Can you keep them busy?

Why didnt you go to another school instead of going on your own ?  Why should other people come and work for/with you ? What have you got to offer them?

You have to be prepared for trainees to qualify with you and then want to do what you are doing.

I wouldnt buy wads of useless Yellow Pages space.  Wait and see what you get as trainees first, if any.  Then you may have to sacrifice some of your own customers to keep the newcomers happy.

Otherwise you may end up with stacks of enquiries from the yellow pages and no-one to take them on.

I would venture to suggest that 18 months is barely long enough to be established sufficiently to expand.  You are going to have to do some pretty aggressive marketing to get a big enough customer field built up to take on other instructors.

You could spend a lot of cash on advertising to keep the punters coming in.

Badger

#5 13-04-04 20:34:51

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Ive not took a long time to think about it or look into it but maybe what i would do is;

Find a PDI who would use my car on the 2 days that i am off, Add him/her on my insurance And on one of those days go out with him/her as required.
Use some of my new pupils for such PDI, Maybe i would set a date for PDI to start and then that would give me time to sort out new pupils

Charge a fee for use of car/insurance etc. And after that they get to keep what the earn on the 2 days they work, it wouldn't be much but maybe 16 hours a week.

Something like 9-10am / 10.15 - 12.15 / 12.15 - 1.15 lunch / 1.30 - 3.30 / 4pm - 5 / 5.30 - 7.30pm ????

It would give them training without over doing it, They may even be working in another job ?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 13-04-04 21:13:01

churchy

Approved Instructor wrote:

Ive not took a long time to think about it or look into it but maybe what i would do is;

Find a PDI who would use my car on the 2 days that i am off, Add him/her on my insurance And on one of those days go out with him/her as required.
Use some of my new pupils for such PDI, Maybe i would set a date for PDI to start and then that would give me time to sort out new pupils

Charge a fee for use of car/insurance etc. And after that they get to keep what the earn on the 2 days they work, it wouldn't be much but maybe 16 hours a week.

Something like 9-10am / 10.15 - 12.15 / 12.15 - 1.15 lunch / 1.30 - 3.30 / 4pm - 5 / 5.30 - 7.30pm ????

It would give them training without over doing it, They may even be working in another job ?

Its a shame you don't live down south, thats exactly what i'd be looking for when i finally get my Pt2, but the way the DSA is going at the moment it could be forever before i do.   :twisted:

#7 13-04-04 21:35:14

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

And Yes, I think i would do that, But im not going to go out looking ' if you know what i mean'

good luck with part 2, I had to wait months.

#8 13-04-04 21:45:00

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Alice,

We're all glad to hear that things seem to be going well with your business.

Taking on extra instructors is always a big step and occasionally can be far more hassle than it's worth. 

I have made mistakes and taken on a complete 'dud' 2 or 3 times now, They are time wasting, greedy and selfish and just want more and more without contributing anything to what should be a mutually cooperative business.

However, I've done it many times now and currently have a great team of 9 ADI's and 3 PDI's. I've also got 6 others at part one stage.

The biggest problem occurs when one leaves, either through failing part 3 exams (it does happen!) or because they perceive a better deal is to be had elsewhere.

This always causes problems with what to do with the pupils and the cars.

If an instructor leaves you will be the one who has to pick up the pieces and perhaps give lessons outside of your normal area, some pupils I've been unable to help and have felt like I am abandoning them!

I used to lease cars, but when an instructor leaves you might have another 4 months left to run on the contract; I buy mine now, it's more expensive, but you can offload them (I've got one for sale right now)

Your reputation will slide quite quickly if you take on the wrong person, take your time, don't make promises before you're convinced they really are the best person to do the job.

Finally if you have any specific questions about franchising or building up your school then please PM me or call.

Good Luck.

Regards,

#9 14-04-04 17:55:04

AliceM

Thanks everyone for your advice.  If anyone else has more comments please pass them on.  I am sure there must be others out there who are considering taking this big step - or who have just done it.

I am currently getting about two or three enquiries a week I cannot help - either wrong area or wrong days of the week for me - and this is before I do any extra advertising.  We shall see...

smile

#10 16-04-04 22:43:24

Ozzie

Hi,

15 months ago I was a one-man band, now I have 5 adis and a pdi joining next month, things are going well.

All of my instructors finance their own car, lease or purchase its up to them. That way they can choose the car and finance that suits them. It also becomes cheaper for them and me too. So far none of my instructors have left, and as none are under contract either I feel that something must be right.

I did increase my advertising budget quite significantly to give the new instructors additional work, but stick to the budget, don't go crazy with it. When I was a one man band I spent £1000 a year on ads, although I didn't really need to as most work was recommendations. Then I raised it to £2000 to keep three instructors busy, now I have raised it to £2500 to keep 6 insdtructors busy.

I used to be in only Thomsons, I'm now in YP too and I have already done 2 6 week runs in local papers to get a boost in pupils for new instructors.

I'm not saying this is the only way, or the correct way, its just what I have done, and so far so good.

Ozzie

Board footer