You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 01-12-06 22:30:04

wullieclark
Verified Member

biker

being a biker i think i take more care on the road, especially when emerging [frightening government ad on tv]. I think it would be a good idea to experience time on a bike /moped before progressing onto driving a car. After all you would not expect someone to jump into a 40foot articulated lorry without first being able to drive a car, would you?

01-12-06 22:30:04

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: biker

#2 01-12-06 22:38:35

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
I can see where you are coming from (particularly if you are wearing bright leathers and have your headlights on), but balancing on 2 wheels is not necessary for driving a car and there are a lot of people who can't do that.

I wonder also if it might not have the effect of reducing still further the available number of pupils wanting to learn to drive cars, some because they might stay with the bikes but rather more because attrition (KSIs)

#3 01-12-06 22:53:40

skip qualify
Verified Member

like you dimmy i rode peds and a 125, so it horrifies me to see that some lads round my way wear camouflage jackets when riding !!!!! yikes yikes yikes

#4 01-12-06 23:04:33

wullieclark
Verified Member

reply for PEGASUS 
I for one would rather have safer roads than more pupils wanting to drive cars
I took my car test when i was 24 [cant carry much luggage/friends on the back of a bike]
I feel the cold on my bones a lot more in the winter now than when i was younger and fitter

#5 01-12-06 23:06:29

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Recently took the bike test on direct access and passed purely to experience what bikers were doing to help me teach my pupils, was terrified of bikes but now love it!!!!!!!  What an experience, can't wait for the spring/summer to get a few more miles under my safety gear!

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#6 02-12-06 08:06:30

kestrelkevin44
Verified Member
Website

I totally agree on this one, I have always said that everyone should spend a month on a moped before they learn to drive. I really makes you aware of the other side of the coin and my learners that do have experience on 2 wheels have far better all round awareness.

#7 02-12-06 10:02:28

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Have a friend who is deaf, with limited balance, so moped would be a real problem, in a car, these things can be overcome, but having to ride a bike would probably put her off even trying to get to the car stage.

Being actively aware of cars as a pedestrian and a passenger can give you a lot of experience.

#8 03-01-09 11:05:43

RJHGT
Verified Member
Website

We talk about this every day at our training centre! Not a day goes by that we as Bike Instructors, or our  bike pupils say Did you see that vehicle.......

I can understand this thought   I think it would be a good idea to experience time on a bike /moped before progressing onto driving a car.               

I know from my experience, with the English weather as it is (very mixed) you would not get people agreeing to it sad

Go into Europe, there are more Male/Female couples riding together on seperate bikes, much more accepted!

Apart from this, many other areas for discussion.

Driver & Rider Training Centre www.rjhgroup.co.uk ADI Approved Driving Instructor Grade 5 (Car) DAS Direct Access Scheme Instructor (Motorcycle) DSA Driving Standards Agency- ATB Authorised Training Body (Motorcycle) RPMT Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainer

#9 03-01-09 20:47:08

kjs
Verified Member
Website

I have mixed views on this subject, mainly because most of the riders of the twist and go peds think they are indestructible. If they were to get any closer to my rear bumper, even at 30 mph, they'd be sat in the back seat. God help them if I had to do an emergency stop. They weave through traffic, cross lanes at the last minute irrespective of weather or not there is anything in that lane. They are a menace and its time they were stopped from riding them at 16.

I ride a bike , occasionally, when I can find the time, and to be honest a have very strong views about the use of any kind of motorbike. With respect to all of you that also ride them, I get a bit fed up when I'm repeatedly told to watch out for bikers. Yes, I agree we should be careful when emerging etc, because they are hard to see, but should not the bikers them selves not be more vigilant. The amount that pass me an break neck speed, on blind corners, on approach to junctions, r/abouts , roadworks etc,weave across all 3 lanes on motorways, squeeze through between cars when there are only 2 lanes trying to make another one, they too should be held responsible for there own attitude towards other road users.

I know these idiots are only a small minority, but its time to stop blaming the drivers of other vehicles all the time.[ yes, I know, there are a lot of idiots in those areas to ].

Sorry for the rant.

kevin

#10 27-03-09 10:34:17

freddieb

Hi all  big_smile
Reading the above comments with interest and can agree with what your all saying... Being a M/cycle instructor I am forever telling pupils that the throttle works both ways..  However, what I cant get my head round is.. parents!.. the amount of kids that turn up to ride these twist and go peds with no information from the parents at all.  :? :?  You would at least thought they would show interest in the kids safety, but sadly, no.. not even as far as reading the highway code.  So it's not surprising that when they get out on the roads they act like they do.  :evil: 

Dont cry because its over, smile because it happened...

#11 27-03-09 10:37:21

RJHGT
Verified Member
Website

Where do you teach freddieb ?

Driver & Rider Training Centre www.rjhgroup.co.uk ADI Approved Driving Instructor Grade 5 (Car) DAS Direct Access Scheme Instructor (Motorcycle) DSA Driving Standards Agency- ATB Authorised Training Body (Motorcycle) RPMT Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainer

#12 27-03-09 10:42:45

freddieb

Hi rjhgt,
I teach in Trowbridge wilts..  big_smile

#13 27-03-09 10:53:47

RJHGT
Verified Member
Website

So will you be using the Swindon MPTC?

Are you ready for the new test?

#14 27-03-09 11:04:02

freddieb

I think the majority of the testing will be at Bristol with occasional visits to Swindon.  I work for a guy that does all the admin so dont get to involved in that side of life..  Ready for the new test ok, I'm sure there's going to be a few teething troubles to start  neutral but hopefully not to much.. lol lol

Board footer