You are not logged in.

#1 20-03-09 23:58:31

FAZ

REAL WORLD TRAINING ON PINK

hi all,i am finding that in training pupils its not same as the psts,is this the way?the pups will listen to the pst which is fine but then when on the move they forget many things,also coasting i am finding that the left turns has alot of coasting,which i am spotting quickly,which i am correcting them on next left turn,if they in 2nd then just before the turn i slow them down and tell them to put in 1st. am i doing right?

now on crossroads lessons,i usually ask them all about mspsl(left & right turns) but then i just add on the extra road observations,priority,position and no signal is this right?

on my part 3 will i have to do emerging right and left together?coz in real world i am teaching them to emerge left and left turns in 1 lesson,i am more confused about the briefing on this 1,

sorry every1 but another 1 more 4u,i am getting foreign drivers ,who are nearly there,and when they booking their tests online they asking me for my adi number which i dont mind giving but is it in my benefit to give them ,if not how can i get away without giving them,

thanking you in advance.faz

20-03-09 23:58:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: REAL WORLD TRAINING ON PINK

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 21-03-09 08:04:56

adi
Verified Member
Website

They are asking for your adi number so that they don't book a test which overlaps another test you may already have booked.
It might be beneficial to book the tests on behalf of your pupils. That way you are in control of your diary.

You are correct in your observations that PSTS are not quite like the real world. You will need to adapt your lessons to suit your pupils needs and the environment in which you work (A rural based ADI teaching in villages will introduce various topics in a different order to an ADI based in Greater London!).

The problems you are facing are one of the reasons why it's sometimes best to not go 'Pink', but to buddy up instead with other trainees and stay in PST world to prepare for the Part 3 exam.

#3 21-03-09 09:03:53

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

How are your core comps? and level of instruction?

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 21-03-09 14:31:31

ExAdiNigel

hi all,i am finding that in training pupils its not same as the psts,is this the way?the pups will listen to the pst which is fine but then when on the move they forget many things,also coasting i am finding that the left turns has alot of coasting,which i am spotting quickly,which i am correcting them on next left turn,if they in 2nd then just before the turn i slow them down and tell them to put in 1st. am i doing right?

Do you take all left turns in 1st?

now on crossroads lessons,i usually ask them all about mspsl(left & right turns) but then i just add on the extra road observations,priority,position and no signal is this right?

Sounds like a good start - take them from the known to the unknown.

on my part 3 will i have to do emerging right and left together?coz in real world i am teaching them to emerge left and left turns in 1 lesson,i am more confused about the briefing on this 1,

You are probably best talking to your trainer face to face, that way you can go through youe briefing and receive instant feedback before trying again.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#5 22-03-09 19:35:12

FAZ

HI ALL THANKS TO YOU ALL,yes i do left turns and left emerge first always,2nd answer to the 2nd question is my cor competence is getting alot better,with new drivers they are not cutting right corners and i am very properly looking if they are coasting round left corners,which if i see they are then at the next turn i pre empt them and dats it that problem is sorted,i am happy to be honest on pink,wow its experience am learning ,with my trainer i used to miss alot but now am in control of lesson i have no choice but to lookout for this faults,

1 more question for you guys,i am going through briefing alot faster covering all the points,is that normal with a fast learner.thanks again

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 24-03-09 16:27:07

Wurble
Verified Member

HI ALL THANKS TO YOU ALL,yes i do left turns and left emerge first always

Even when turning left from a major to a minor road? I've only just started my part one training but thought it was standard practice to be in 2nd gear in these situations? I believe 1st gear is only for setting off?

Not making a criticsm here, just checking...

#7 24-03-09 17:30:27

VandADI
Administrator

FAZ wrote:

HI ALL THANKS TO YOU ALL,yes i do left turns and left emerge first always

Even when turning left from a major to a minor road? I've only just started my part one training but thought it was standard practice to be in 2nd gear in these situations? I believe 1st gear is only for setting off?

Not making a criticsm here, just checking...

I think you have misunderstood what Faz is saying, he means he starts off with left emerge and approach first (as in first instance not as in first gear)  wink
Also, I would not say it is standard practice to be in 2nd gear turning left, from a major road to a minor road.  1st gear is not just for setting off.  If the junction you are turning into is very narrow then that would mean you would need to approach much slower, going into a rolling first gear, remember your MSPSL routine, L = Look and act on what you see. Don't just go into second gear as a matter of course because that is what you have been told to do.

#8 24-03-09 18:02:39

Wurble
Verified Member

VandADI... Thank you for the explanation and sorry for the misunderstanding...

Although, in Faz's first post he did say he always asks pupils to drop to 1st gear for left turns? AdiNigel then asked if he took all left turns in 1st so i thought that Faz was responding to that comment with the bit i quoted smile

#9 24-03-09 18:12:50

VandADI
Administrator

Wurble - maybe I have misunderstood Faz, as I have re-read original post and it does sound as though all approaches to left junctions are done in first gear, it does not take much to confuse me  lol

#10 25-03-09 18:20:47

FAZ

HI all,just to get confusions out the way,yes i tell them to drop in 1st gear if it too tight and if its a new starter then i see them negotiating the turn much easier in 1st gear but i could be wrong remember i am still a pup in instructor world lol.

#11 27-03-09 06:18:13

ExAdiNigel

HI all,just to get confusions out the way,yes i tell them to drop in 1st gear if it too tight and if its a new starter then i see them negotiating the turn much easier in 1st gear but i could be wrong remember i am still a pup in instructor world lol.

So, do you always take a left turn in first gear?  As a very general guide I would suggest 2nd is more appropriate that 1st for major to minor with 1st being more appropriate for an emerge.  There will be many occasions when a different gear may be more appropriate depending on the situation at the time.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Board footer