You are not logged in.

#1 12-03-09 18:23:00

Wurble
Verified Member

Hazard Perception Test

I hate this test.

I had to take the HPT test for my driving licence 5 years ago and at the time I worked for a company on behalf of the DSA. The company I worked for designed the test and I know it has its flaws - I used to deal with complaints about it every day of my working life, especially from PDI's who require a higher mark.

I am training with BSM and they have some HPT clips to practice on their instructor academy website. I can't seem to do better than 46 which is the same score i got to pass the test 5 years ago. Now, the problem is, after a few goes on the BSM site the clips repeat themselves so I know them quite well. Why on earth am i only scoring 46 when i'm clicking as early as possible once the hazard is starting to develop?

Does anyone know something I don't about this test? Obviously people are passing because I don't see loads of complaints about it on here.

I consider my ability to spot developing hazards as pretty good and as I said, I know a lot of the clips on there so know what is coming and click as soon as they start to develop so I really don't understand why my score is so low!

This is irritating me. There was talk where I used to work about there being a window of opportunity in which you need to click and that that window may not necessarily start as soon as you see the hazard developing. If this is the case then it is entirely possible to click to soon.

Has anybody else had this problem? Or is it just me?

12-03-09 18:23:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Hazard Perception Test

#2 12-03-09 18:48:39

Rockin
Verified Member

It is possible to click too soon, especially if you are an experienced driver. I always tell my students to click twice once as soon as they see the hazard then wait a second or two then click again. This works if you click too soon. It won't count as clicking too much and the system claiming you are cheating because you only click twice.
Treat it as a computer game, and play the game, as to be honest thats just about what it is.

Rockin

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 12-03-09 18:49:40

VandADI
Administrator

Hi Wurble,
It does sound as though you are clicking too early, before the scoring window opens, and then when you do click again, it is too late.
Check out this link, it is in the learners section, but it does apply to PDIs also, and I'm positive it will help you to work out the correct method to use.
http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … 878.0.html

#4 12-03-09 19:46:10

Wurble
Verified Member

Thanks for the responses and cheers for the link Vand. That looks like a good technique! I'll give it a try now and see how i do.

#5 12-03-09 20:08:37

Wurble
Verified Member

Just done another mock and scored 59! That link is excellent considering I haven't been able to get above 46 until reading that post.

Thanks again!

#6 12-03-09 20:24:31

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

Go and buy 'Driving Test Success' Hazard Perception from Focus software. Pick it up at Amazon for only £6 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Test-Su … 689&sr=8-7

It has over 400 clips and is really helpful.

Cheers

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#7 12-03-09 22:13:14

VandADI
Administrator

The Focus software (and others) can only give you a rough indication of when the scoring window opens and closes. For a more accurate idea, you need to look at the DSAs Roadsense Hazard Perception DVD.

#8 14-03-09 19:03:34

johnp
Verified Member

"Why on earth am i only scoring 46 when i'm clicking as early as possible once the hazard is starting to develop?"

To me that is the problem. It is not a Hazard Perception test but a Hazard Prediction Test. You have to guess when the hazard is going to appear and click. Then click again. It does not matter how many times as long as it is not rhythmical. If the first click is too early you will get it with the second.

Glad your score is improving. It is a game. You need to know the rules.
It has nothing to do with driving.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

Board footer