You are not logged in.

#1 05-03-09 16:17:29

wellmadbabe

Help Wanted-Sat nav for test routes

Hi Guys
Am new here so go easy.
Have just booked my part 2 and want to practise the test routes. Can anyone recommend a satnav with a facility to input these routes.I dont have a Satnav at the mo so excuse any ignorance but i believe this is not a standard feature?

xx

05-03-09 16:17:29

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Help Wanted-Sat nav for test routes

#2 05-03-09 16:21:06

george
Verified Member
Website

Hi matey,

Forget the Sat nav. Get a friend, or better still a training buddy to got on the routes with you. They take a little working out as they don't say much. Esp when a manouver is done. You'll figure it out with an A 2 Z and an extra pair of eyes looking for the street signs.

Paul Shackleton DSA ADI.-----DSA Fleet, Diamond Advanced, NVQ L3 In driver Training & Assessment, A1 & Ordit

#3 05-03-09 18:20:13

mcculde
Verified Member

Agree with the points made by George.
Concentrate on the training areas identified by your trainer and worry about test routes just b4 the part 2 test.
If your driving is of the correct standard you should be able to drive anywhere whether you know the road or not.

#4 05-03-09 18:25:25

scannermanh
Verified Member

When I was training for PT2, downloaded the test routes and practiced
like crazy, Knew where all the signs were, speed and lane changes, analyzed
anywhere it could go wrong, thought I had this well and truly buttoned up.
As soon as the examiner sensed I knew where I was going, and I tried not
to give the game away, he was off somewhere he fancied going, nowhere
near any of the perscribed routes, so beware you have been warned :evil:

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#5 05-03-09 18:53:19

wellmadbabe

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate your comment's and for taking the time to reply.My trainer suggested  practising the routes-maybe I need all the help I can get! Basically I want to know when I take Part 2 that whatever the result I have absolutely done my best and prepared all I can . I don't have a training buddy at this stage and have to squeeze practise in when I can in between working and running the three kids around so Satnav seemed a good option.

#6 05-03-09 19:54:17

Makem Drive
Verified Member

I personally would strongly advise against practicing the test routes for the very reason Scannermanh give. By all means practice in the area but don't follow the route.

I failed my 1st part 2, the second attempt I passed but the SE took me on the same route. I found that I was anticipating every command to the point of checking mirrors for a right turn before she said ' I would like..............on the right'. She did keep me 'on route' but I believe that she did this as she had only recently become an SE & was 'being watched' from the back seat.

It shouldn't matter whether you know the area  you take the part 2 or not, if your driving is up to standard you will pass but knowing any of the 'tricky bits' is an advantage.

#7 05-03-09 20:26:57

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Hi

I didnt practice any test routes for my Part 2, if you can drive you should be able to be directed safely and react to his commands with no worries.

I took my test in Worcester and i dont really know it very well, i only know where i need to go. On one approach to a roundabout, you approach in the right hand lane to go straight over, as its marked this way. I was worried that if i got this particular roadabout i would stuff it up. I did end up going to this particular roundabout and on approach his commands were '' Cat i would like you to go straight ahead at the next roundabout, 2nd exit, for this particular roundabout you will need to approach in the right hand lane'' So he had commanded me correctly and even told me which lane to get in, which gave me loads of time to msm. In  my opinion the examiner will give you plenty of warning of where to go and explain how to approach if anything is out of the norm, so dont worry, just go for it and do your best. :afro:

Cat

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#8 05-03-09 21:05:37

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

As well as advice already given, be aware that many published test routes are actually out of date and incorrect.
Both of the ADI test routes for my area are out of date and do not include motorways, but the two routes actually used do include motorways.
Also, the examiner can vary a route as he sees fit.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 05-03-09 21:26:07

Cat8t3
Verified Member

As well as advice already given, be aware that many published test routes are actually out of date and incorrect.

When i told my trainer where i had been on my part 2, he had said that the route i went on, was possible being introduced as an adi test route, and was not yet officially a test route.  :? If i had of learned the test routes half by heart, i would have been thrown by the change of route. As it was i didnt know the routes, so in was none the wiser and just  carried on as i did.

As said before just do your best, prove you can drive, and you'll pass. :afro: :afro:

Best of luck. smile

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

#10 06-03-09 00:55:06

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

Agree with everything said - I passed Part 2 the other day with a fair degree of knowledge of the test area but never felt the need to try and learn the routes by rote.

http://chriseddydrivertuition.yolasite.com/

DSA ADI operating in Gateshead, Tyne & Wear and surrounding areas.

#11 06-03-09 10:28:25

wellmadbabe

Thanks for all your advise.Wasn't planning to learn the test routes just to familiarise myself with them. I'm probably not capable of memorising them anyway! Thought it would give me the much needed confidence which always seems to evaporate when faced with an exam situation. Any tips on dealing with exam nerves? 

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 06-03-09 21:27:18

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for all your advise.Wasn't planning to learn the test routes just to familiarise myself with them. I'm probably not capable of memorising them anyway! Thought it would give me the much needed confidence which always seems to evaporate when faced with an exam situation. Any tips on dealing with exam nerves?

Arrive in good time (within reason, I got to Test Centre about 15 mins before the test commenced). Stay focused, positive and try to relax. On the test, plan and anticipate well ahead, you need to be able to access the current road and traffic situations at any given point, you will not only feel more relaxed during the drive, but also have more time to react to hazards (believe me, there will be occasions during the drive which will require you to make decisions, employing defensive driving techniques will afford you more time to react safely). Drive in a brisk fashion, make progress wherever possible, MSPSL, OBs every 4-5 seconds, coordination of controls, accuracy and effective OBs on maneuveres.

Employ a positive mental attitude and be your biggest critic during your training, and remember PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!

#13 07-03-09 11:20:22

Aspyre

ooo i'm not sure you should do obs "every 4-5 secs".. You do them as and when necessary and sufficent to be aware what is happening round you.. If that turns out to be evry 4-5 secs fine but actualy going for a time frame is dangerous.. Its driving by numbers instead of by ability.,

#14 07-03-09 22:15:22

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

ooo i'm not sure you should do obs "every 4-5 secs".. You do them as and when necessary and sufficent to be aware what is happening round you.. If that turns out to be evry 4-5 secs fine but actualy going for a time frame is dangerous.. Its driving by numbers instead of by ability.,

Hi Aspyre,

Thats a valid point, I should have elaborated on my other post, I do agree with you, prevailing road and traffic conditions help determine as and when these mirror checks become necessary.

Board footer