You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 17-01-09 18:53:00

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Re: Check Test Hell

Well the SE said at the end they didn't know what the pupil had learnt because I did all the talking

So what were you trying to teach him? That's the important bit. The lesson must have a purpose - a brief at the beginning to explain what you want to achieve. What was it?

17-01-09 18:53:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 17-01-09 23:00:43

hector
Verified Member
Website

The guidelines are very clear. Examiners do generally follow the guidelines

They should also be told that a letter explaining the weakness will follow and that they will be seen again in approximately two months (grade 2) or three months (grade 3). Grade E should be seen before first 12month period is up

If an ADI has been on the Register for 12 months without an educational visit it is reasonable to assume that they will have gained experience during this time and in these circumstances they should be assessed according to the stated criteria and given the appropriate grade. Ie not educational.

However the guidelines also state the first check test should take place within 2-3 months, and a sensible examiner will use common sense to determine in reality this is not happening. Also again sensible examiners can quickly determine some ADI s may only instruct part time others full time, others not at all, making the 12 months irrelevant.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#28 13-02-09 18:43:05

bluenote
Verified Member

Just had my first check test after nearly two years instructing. I feel that I have a good pass rate and excellant pupil retention.So my plan was to go into it blind without any preparation other than normal and do it for myself to see how I stand.I planned to do nothing different to how my normal lessons go.The pupil was the normal one that I taught on that day at that time.I warned her in advance and she was happy to be my guinea pig.       It started to go wrong after I picked her up   she said that she felt nervous,Itried to reassurre her and she said to give it a go. Good drive down to the test center so I thought it would be ok,  BUT,   leaving the car park her nerves kicked in and she went to pieces,things she had got the hang of she couldnt do ,start stop,turn etc.it was possibly the worst lesson that I have ever done mainly because i tried to plough on with what i had briefed her on and every time something went wrong I started to worry as well.When I do my next ct in 2 months time I intend to go for the roll play option,even though I am uncomfortable with it I feel that I may have more control over the situation. I dont feel that my words do justice to how much this lady went to pieces and wondered if anyone else has had the same scenario cos no matter how much I tried I couldnt get it over to her that it was me being watched and not her.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#29 13-02-09 22:24:27

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

mainly because i tried to plough on with what i had briefed her on

This seems to be a recurring theme with why people do badly on c/t. If pupil suddenly has a problem with starting and stopping, find out why she's having a problem and cure it. That's the whole point isn't it???

#30 13-02-09 22:29:15

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

It's not the pupil being tested it's you. Pupils go to pieces on lessons all the time, just work on the faults.

Doesn't matter if they go to pieces. So she decided she couldn't start, stop or turn. Just dump the plan and work on that same as you would if it happened on a lesson.

The worst possible thing you can do on a C/T is ignore the faults and try to plough on with the lesson plan. Core competencies, see the fault, do something about it. Don't just ignore it.

It's perfectly possible to not cover a single element of the planned lesson and still get a 6.

When you take a pupil on C/T, the idea is the SE wants to observe you conduct a real lesson. On a real lesson if the pupil was making elementary mistakes you'd sort those mistakes out before moving on wouldn't you? Do the same on C/T.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#31 04-03-09 22:30:28

steved

bluenote wrote:

mainly because i tried to plough on with what i had briefed her on

This seems to be a recurring theme with why people do badly on c/t. If pupil suddenly has a problem with starting and stopping, find out why she's having a problem and cure it. That's the whole point isn't it???

This happened to me on my check test,pupil kept stalling.
So pulled her up talked about extra weight in car, tried a few move off and stops , all ok.
Back to  my original plan, pupil then tried to pull out in front of another car at rbt.
Once again, used the core comps, went round a few more times sorted problem.
Back to original plan of mirrors & e.stop.
SE complimented me on not being afraid to move away from the original plan.
Isn't that what ADI's are suppossed to do anyway she said, and said well done for keeping control.

#32 05-03-09 08:14:53

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

There is a lot of scaremongering in relation to check tests. Its worth a lot to the " ADI training" companies. Is there anyone out there with the DSA stats on the number of people removed from the register as a result of check tests ?

It is understandable that newbies , having paid 2-3 thousand for ADI training are terrified of their pt 3 , all that money and the job down the tubes, but as far as I know almost no ADIs are removed from the register after check testing. After working as an ADI for a couple of years , you should know the job. Scraping a 4 in the ct will give you another 2 years to learn and improve your instruction.

Passing the driving test doesn't make you a better driver, it merely gives you 35 mins of extra experience. Passing the ADI pt3 doesn't make you a better instructor. It takes time. This forum is full of panicking "qualified" instructors , who are supposed to be able to help calm their pupils for their driving tests. Its really a case of physician heal thyself.

I waited 11 years for my last check test,standard DSA efficiency,  then my pupil let me down by telling me the day before that they were ill. I turned up for the ct and did roleplay. No problem. An ADI has to be confident in their own ability or maybe you are in the wrong job.

Best advice is Nike........just do it !

#33 05-03-09 08:49:17

evanadi

There is a lot of scaremongering in relation to check tests. Its worth a lot to the " ADI training" companies. Is there anyone out there with the DSA stats on the number of people removed from the register as a result of check tests ?

It is understandable that newbies , having paid 2-3 thousand for ADI training are terrified of their pt 3 , all that money and the job down the tubes, but as far as I know almost no ADIs are removed from the register after check testing. After working as an ADI for a couple of years , you should know the job. Scraping a 4 in the ct will give you another 2 years to learn and improve your instruction.

Passing the driving test doesn't make you a better driver, it merely gives you 35 mins of extra experience. Passing the ADI pt3 doesn't make you a better instructor. It takes time. This forum is full of panicking "qualified" instructors , who are supposed to be able to help calm their pupils for their driving tests. Its really a case of physician heal thyself.

I waited 11 years for my last check test,standard DSA efficiency,  then my pupil let me down by telling me the day before that they were ill. I turned up for the ct and did roleplay. No problem. An ADI has to be confident in their own ability or maybe you are in the wrong job.

Best advice is Nike........just do it !

Brilliant post jon, one of the best I have ever read on this forum. Ev

#34 05-03-09 09:03:54

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

thanks. I hope some-one comes up with the figures for people losing their license due to a poor ct. I can honestly state that I never heard of it happening. Here comes the deluge of those that do ADI training with their horror stories I expect.

#35 05-03-09 09:44:16

hector
Verified Member
Website

I have the figures ill post them up tonight if someone hasnt already done it.

I have just spoken to some ignorant Geordy and finally got a CT by request after 7 years of waiting for a new invite. Why are some ADI's so frightened of having an examiner observe there performance? And receiving excellent advice from someone well qualified to deliver it?

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#36 05-03-09 09:54:04

hector
Verified Member
Website

I have figures as follows, unfortunately I only have

resigned OR removed and im pretty sure thats all thats available.

02/03 - 1457
04/04 - 2708
04/05 - 2089

But I bet thats alot more than anyone thought?

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#37 05-03-09 10:23:48

KevB
Verified Member
Website

I can add to Hectors stat's.

05/06 2,475
06/07 2,987
07/08 2,593

The DSA claim to not keep stat's for removals alone, which I find extremely unlikely seeing as they would carry legal implications and the Registrar would need to have detailed records as to the reasons why an enforced removal was performed, in case of an ADI seeking redress through a higher court.

#38 05-03-09 10:56:23

hector
Verified Member
Website

Very good for the doom and gloom merchants worried about the infulx of new instructors, look how many are leaving or being pushed.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#39 05-03-09 11:05:26

KevB
Verified Member
Website

If anyone wants to go into various stats regarding changes in the number of instructors on the register, I posted a collation of official DSA stat's covering about 7 years that can be found  at:

http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … #msg236870

#40 05-03-09 18:38:51

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

Those figures look to me like natural wastage, ie retirements. There are also lots that qualify and then find that the real world of instructing is not for them. The stats Kevin put up show that in spite of these retirements the total number of ADIs has risen by a third since 2005. Anyone know the demographic table of 17 year olds for the same period. I seriously doubt it has risen by a third, so same size cake split up by  30% more instructors.

Time to close the register ?

#41 05-03-09 20:23:41

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Immigration is up by 300% in same period.

What the lord taketh with one hand he giveth with the other.

Board footer