You are not logged in.

#51 03-02-05 16:46:15

luchell

Re: Failed twice, for pure lies.

its sad really but like all jobs i suppose there are good ones and bad examiners, i remember when i took my learner test, it was common knowledge to hope not to get a certain bloke, his boy was killed the day he passed by driving to fast, we all thought he was more likely to fail and with my brother he didnt get one minor fault, i watched him pull into the test centre, he got fingers waved at him and told off, it took 45 mins, we thought he musta failed but now we think the bloke was lecturing him as he couldnt find fault with his driving. it is possible there are cons out there

03-02-05 16:46:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#52 03-03-05 00:47:21

terri

Right ok i am going to vent now.
God god talk about hitting a minor hurdle and throwing your toys outta the pram. Dont get your own way so instantly EVERYONE is corrupt.
I think the main reason the pass rate for learners is so low is that half the time they push too soon for the test and they are just not ready to do the test. And then when they do fail on something they are convinced they did right they have a tantrum. Believe me i think that an examiner may be just a little more experienced and qualified than you in driving matters. Something you may not have even picked up on they may have, You are still learning and so you will not know everything yet. God i am training for my ADI part two and even i am learning new things that i didnt learn before.
Have you even stopped to consider the possibility that you may have done it wrong and they are just doing their job????
The examiners are not there to deliberatly fail you, they do want to help you.
But then most learners being what 17/18 are age old and experienced in the ways of the world!
Sorry to moan but it really winds me up when people rant and $$//@ like this.
I think you should read your test booking letter again because you DO have to supply a mirror, I already have mine for my part 2.
My advice is go out with a different adi and get a new perspective on your drive and dont sulk when you hear things you dont want to hear, just look at it as a learning curve and take critisism constructivly.
Just think although you have spent hundreds learning it will be worth it in the long run when you pass, and trust me your hundreds is nothing compared to the thousands i have commited to being an instructor.
I just pray to god that i dont have 'i know everything and everything i do is perfect pupils' Because you just cant reason with them and they will never admit any faults now will they???
Sorry if this offends but the first post was quite offensive to start with
Terri
xxx

But then if you know everything you do the job of the examiner and pass everyone no matter how bad they are!!!!

This parrot is dead
Has ceased to exist
Gone to the cage in the sky

ha ha ha still alive and squawking!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#53 03-03-05 12:13:32

sweezely

Hmm.  I was going to let this "constructive criticism" go, but I've decided I'm going to vent too.

terri wrote:

Right ok i am going to vent now.
God god talk about hitting a minor hurdle and throwing your toys outta the pram.

"Minor" hurdle? It's not like I tried once and failed.  I've done three tests, and the fact is that the third was the best I have ever driven, barring a couple of faults down to nerves which the guy DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE.  I'm cheesed off that I've spent time and money learning to drive only to get people who deliberately get my name wrong or can't even demonstrate a basic level of competence.  The third examiner didn't think the highway code had anything about seatbelts in it.  Seriously, do you think that is acceptable?

Dont get your own way so instantly EVERYONE is corrupt.

This sentence doesn't make sense.

I think the main reason the pass rate for learners is so low is that half the time they push too soon for the test and they are just not ready to do the test. And then when they do fail on something they are convinced they did right they have a tantrum.

Some do. However, the reason that the guy gave didn't make sense.  He failed me for not taking any action to a vehicle that wasn't anywhere near me.  It passed me AFTER I had finished the manouver and put the handbrake on.  AFTER!  Tell me, does this sound right to you?

Believe me i think that an examiner may be just a little more experienced and qualified than you in driving matters.

I'll believe that you think that they're more experienced and qualified, but I don't think it makes that much difference.  You can't test someone on experience, and I don't think that the qualifications they have are any reflection of their aptitude to do anything.  If they were intelligent or skilled they'd be doing a higher paid job.  Few people would consider being a driving examiner a calling.

Something you may not have even picked up on they may have, You are still learning and so you will not know everything yet.

I know that I always will be learning and never will know everything.  I hope you realise the same thing can be said about everyone, and it's unfair to think that anyone knows everything about driving.  Your use of the word "yet" implies that you think some people do know everything about driving, and I certainly hope you weren't implying that YOU know everything about driving, because that's how it comes across.

Also, it's not good to put capital letters in the middle of a sentence like that.

God i am training for my ADI part two and even i am learning new things that i didnt learn before.

I believe you meant "God, I am training for my ADI part two and even I am learning new things that I didn't know before."

Have you even stopped to consider the possibility that you may have done it wrong and they are just doing their job????

Yes, and yes.  Then I dismissed those notions because I know that what they accused me of doing wrong didn't happen and didn't make any sense.

Also, those four question marks make you look confused.  One is sufficient, the other three are superfluous.

The examiners are not there to deliberatly fail you, they do want to help you.

Then maybe if they would give better explanations then I would believe that.  Saying "that's your opinion and you are perfectly entitled to it" doesn't really tell me what I did wrong, does it?

But then most learners being what 17/18 are age old and experienced in the ways of the world!

Again, this sentence doesn't make sense.

Sorry to moan but it really winds me up when people rant and $$//@ like this.

You're going to be a driving instructor and THIS winds you up? I don't fancy being one of your first pupils.

I think you should read your test booking letter again because you DO have to supply a mirror, I already have mine for my part 2.

I was only aware that I would need a mirror the night before the test.  It said NOTHING on the booking letter about mirrors.  Now, I have one.

My advice is go out with a different adi and get a new perspective on your drive and dont sulk when you hear things you dont want to hear, just look at it as a learning curve and take critisism constructivly.

I have never once had an examiner say anything constructive, or offer any advice on how to pass.  The first one actually seemed PLEASED that I had failed.

Just think although you have spent hundreds learning it will be worth it in the long run when you pass, and trust me your hundreds is nothing compared to the thousands i have commited to being an instructor.
I just pray to god that i dont have 'i know everything and everything i do is perfect pupils' Because you just cant reason with them and they will never admit any faults now will they???

Again with the capital letters in the middle of sentences and the superfluous question marks.  However, I digress.

I seriously hope that you don't take this attitude with your pupils.  You WILL get pupils who fail, you WILL get pupils who are upset when they fail, and judging by what you have written you WILL be getting very angry and stressed in your new career.  I have no experience of being an ADI, of course, but it's called "COMMON SENSE" dear, and you seem to be lacking in it.

Sorry if this offends but the first post was quite offensive to start with

I don't get riled up by things people post on messageboards.  However, I dare say that you once again will be offended.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#54 03-03-05 13:12:09

Gizmotime
Administrator

sweezely wrote:

You're going to be a driving instructor and THIS winds you up? I don't fancy being one of your first pupils.
I don't get riled up by things people post on messageboards.  However, I dare say that you once again will be offended.

sweezely there really is no reason for you to start insulting members,which you have done here,by saying that "you wouldn't fancy being one of your first pupils"

Sorry but you DO get riled up by what members say to you on messageborads. Instead of venting all this anger you have about Examiners,why don't you just put it behind you and get on with learning.

#55 03-03-05 18:13:32

Alibran

I have to say I agree with most of what Terri said, even though I do understand your frustrations, Sweezely, as I'm sure I've said before.  It's very easy to get worked up about the difficulties you've had, but it doesn't really achieve anything.

What I dislike about your last post is that you find it necessary to criticise another person's grammer and punctuation on a message board that is about driving, not the finer details of the English language.  Terri's post was quite understandable, even though her punctuation isn't quite as good as yours.  Personally, I think you owe her an apology, although that's just my opinion.

#56 03-03-05 19:25:49

terri

Golly.
Ok here goes puctuated a little better for all those 'wanna be' English teachers out there!
Yes a driving test I feel is a minor hurdle that you have to get over in life. I am sure as time passes, you will come to understand this.
Trust me, I do not get wound up very easily but feel that you are being perhaps a bit excessive.
  Yes I know I will get pupils who will fail and subsequently will be upset, I am not the type to get stressed at things like this. I am one of the most patient people I know.
I am a sales person not an English teacher, and to be honest I feel you are just 'nit picking' now, because you know I am right ad so have to find something else that is wrong to make yourself look superior.
Because you are now arn't you?
  I really do think that you should take your test in a different area if you have failed so many times in your area. It may be that you are so used to the routes that you may not concentrate leading to silly mistakes you may not otherwise make. Therfore if you are in a different area you will not know the roads as well and will concentrate more and be looking ahead and anticipating more.
   And i really did mean I am learning things I didnt learn before, please dont pesume that because I am a girl and blonde that I do not know what I am talking about.
That was a bit of sarcasm when I said most 17/18 year olds are age old and experienced in the ways of the world. Surly a smart guy like you would have picked up on that, no?
  Common Sense is something I am not lacking in, I resent the fact that because I have an opinion that is different to yours you automaticly know me and instantly decide that I am lacking in common sense.
    I do think however, that you are lacking in any sort of common decency and manners. And you say you dont get annoyed by what people write on the boards, when all you have done is insult people because things dont go your way.
How old are you by the way?
Yes I do think you owe an apology, so get over here, Put the gimp suit on and be my slave all day and we will call it even
:twisted:
Terri
xxxx

N.B.
not just an apology to me but everyone here you have insulted. Now I must really go the parrot is terrorising the cat!

This parrot is dead
Has ceased to exist

#57 04-03-05 01:37:15

luchell

sweezly, did you move the car at all whilst another car was coming up the road during a manouvre? maybe that was it. if not why not ask the examiner what exactly did they mean by what they had told you as you didnt understand.good luck with you next test. the last poast to terri was a total disgrace though to be honest it came across as very childish. people are only trying to help.

#58 06-03-05 20:29:31

terri

hmmm
whats the matter sweez? realised everyone is right and you are being childish, we normally have a 'nice' polite reply from you within a day.
Maybe after all we are right and you are just sulking like the child that you are. wink

This parrot is dead
Has ceased to exist

#59 12-03-05 09:59:37

Anonymous

You see Terri, he's won.  He's brought you down to his level.  Exactly what your signature warns against.   :cry:

Wessex

#60 12-03-05 12:19:32

firehydrant

Anyone else find it deeply disturbing that learners should be focusing on taking their test at a centre with a high pass rate as a major priority?

#61 12-03-05 14:37:16

Gizmotime
Administrator

firehydrant wrote:

Anyone else find it deeply disturbing that learners should be focusing on taking their test at a centre with a high pass rate as a major priority?

Yes I do, I'm going to get slated for this now but who cares lol  If they spent more time concentrating on Learning by there mistakes and rectifying them than on trying to find the test centre's with the highest pass rate, they would stand a better chance.

Why do the majority always blame the examiner's,it's not the examiners that are driving the car.

#62 12-03-05 17:59:03

firehydrant

Quite. There's a big difference between being confident and being cocky.

They don't seem to realise that those pass figures are a complex product of:

- imagined or real examiner manipulation
- quality of ADIs in the area
- AND QUALITY OF STUDENTS in the area

Plus many other factors, I don't doubt.

As an aside, I have this image of an examiner getting into a test candidate's own car - bright yellow, half the windscreen shaded, audio manufacturer's name across the rear window, spoiler, alloy wheels, afterburner, 4" exhaust, bug-zapper neons underneath, etc.

That's an immediate fail in my book smile

#63 12-03-05 18:31:08

Anonymous

firehydrant wrote:

As an aside, I have this image of an examiner getting into a test candidate's own car - bright yellow, half the windscreen shaded, audio manufacturer's name across the rear window, spoiler, alloy wheels, afterburner, 4" exhaust, bug-zapper neons underneath, etc.

That's an immediate fail in my book smile

Why?

Just like turning up in a base ball cap turned the wrong way round?  Jeans arond his thighs?  Huge dirty trainers, (well yes OK even I would frown at that footwear), earings, eyebrow piercing, tattoos, teeth missing, black eye?  The list goes on.

You cannot judge a book by it's cover.  If the lad wants to personalise his car and he can afford it then that's his business.  The examiners business is to judge his driving nothing else.

I admire some of the individuallity you see in their cars.  I wish I had the money at their age to be able to buy those things.  Come to think of it the best available was a Motorola Radio.  No FM, Cassette, CD or MP3 player in those days.  Radio 1 had only just taken over from Radio Caroline when I started to drive.  No high output amps, bass tubes or the like.

Born too !!!!!!!! early, that's my trouble.

Wessex.

#64 12-03-05 19:00:28

firehydrant

Did you not spot the smiley? wink

The point was about being cocky or being confident. Or naively playing the game thinking you stand a better chance of passing if you go to a test centre with a higher pass rate.

Incidentally, on the aside, I wonder how many examiners could stay totally uninfluenced if a style of driving started to dovetail with the style of car/car mods as the exam progressed? It's a possibility, isn't it?

#65 12-03-05 19:40:15

arib
Verified Member
Website

Wessex,

I know what you mean when you say you've missed your chance to show a bit of individuality. I also see by your avatar that you car is 03. So maybe when you change, why not treat yourself. A full body kit, stainless steel 4" exhaust, spoiler, alloys, low profiles and go faster stripes.
I do agree and confess to being a little jealous by this individuality. But then we only earn instructors wages.  lol

Bye the way I also notice your Reg. No (FH) is an East Midlands registration. Any reason for that.

arib

#66 12-03-05 23:50:25

Anonymous

Hi Arib.

Yes, well spotted.  I was looking at two SXis that were six months old, 12k miles and £9995 in Bournemouth & Christchurch in October 2003.  Supposed to be demonstrators!  They wouldn't budge on the price and wouldn't give me manufacturers warranty if I used it as a driving school car.

Went on the internet and looked at Pentagon website.  They had one Corsa Diesel 1.7 DTi exactly what I was looking for at Derby.  Four months old 3k miles and a snip at £8,500 plus manufacturers warranty even though it was going to be used as a driving school car.  Rang and secured for £100.  Ready 3 weeks later.

Rang a few days later and asked if they could fit duals.  Told they wouldn,t be cheap as we fit He-Mans.  They rang back and apologetically quoted £345.  "Fit'em" I said.  He-Man wanted £365!  I would have lost at least half days earnings going over to Southampton to have them fitted (£75+).

Wessex

#67 12-03-05 23:59:04

Anonymous

Firehydrant.

Sorry, didn't mean to be harsh.  I grew up in the '60s when my parents hated my long hair and dress style so I suppose I'm sympathetic when someone makes a statement through their dress sense.  No offence meant.

Arib.

My greatest fear of winning the Lottery big time is what do I do with my pups?  I couldn't drop them so would spend the next six months getting them through the test before spending my millions.  I would love to turn up in a Ferrari though for test.  Can you imagine the look on some examiners faces when they said, "Show me to you car" !!!

A mixture of Horror & Joy I would expect.

Wessex.

#68 21-03-05 23:27:01

Troll

Just where do you put the teddy during a driving test  & does it get thrown out during or after the examiner gets out of the car?

Teddy's, Prams & driving tests really do not make for a good mix.

There is only one person that can fail you & that's yourself.

someone once said to me if a pupil rings up having failed a driving test & asks for an assessment the answer would be 'you've just had one & you failed it'.

Take it on the chin, get some extra training become a better driver & you will pass your test.

It is only when you accept something that you can work on changing it.  If you're not willing to accept you weren't good enough, you're more likely to fail another attempt.

#69 26-03-05 22:31:09

tiger

sweezely I really feel for you as I'm sure most of what you're saying could actually be really true!
only you know exactly what's happened on all 3 of your tests and you're just giving what you feel is an honest and descriptive account of the goings on.
Yes you appeared quite agressive at times, but I'm pretty sure I would have the same attitude and frustration if I were in your position.

I really hope you get things sorted out once and for all and successfully pass your test soon.

I've been out on lessons for 13 months now and I'm taking my mock test next week! I'm insured under my hubbys insurance policy as a learner driver which helps me with practice smile

LD

#70 27-03-05 10:16:29

Django

Where have I been? I've missed all this somehow.

I must say I'm with Terri on this one. I can understand the frustration of falling the test three times. If I had failed my pt three three times then I wouldn't be doing the job that I love so Sweezely, I know where you are coming from. The point is what Terri was making is what is done is done. You can't change anything so get on with it. You need to control yourself not fly off the handle no matter how 'cheated' you feel. Someone is paid to make decissions about your driving. They have just 40 minutes to assess you and say that in their opinion you are safe to be let out on the road by yourself. At the end of the day you can't choose your examiner. You are dealt and hand and you have only that to play with. If you don't agree with his/her decission there's jack s**t you can do about it so keep cool and try again. Why stress as for some of your comments Terri put to you, you said they didn't make sense. Go back and re-read it you will find it makes perfect sense.

Do as she suggested and have a couple of lessons with another ADI. They may well find faults in your driving your current ADI hasn't this is common. This is why I work with another ADI to mock test each others pupils. At the end of the day no matter how angry you feel no one on this forum has decided to fail you. We would all love to see you pass. This includes Terri I'm sure.

#71 19-04-05 12:58:44

Django

sweezely wrote:

And I would like to apologise to Terri if you were offended by my last post.  I wish you the best of luck with becoming an ADI and I hope you don't act like the cold hearted b**** that I think you are.

How can you justify this statement when you don't know Terri? I don't know her but from reading her posts you can tell your last quip is bang out of order even with the added smiley. She is very forth coming with help and ideas etc check out the boards then come back with your tail between your legs and apologise again.

That said well done on passing and hope you have many years safe driving ahead of you.

#72 19-04-05 13:10:30

Graham

Moderating team.

I object strongly to this last post and the comments made in the penulitimate paragrah.

I hope the post from this lunatic is removed asap.

#73 19-04-05 13:12:09

Graham

Sorry, Django. I didn't mean your post.

I'm referring to the one from sweezely.

#74 19-04-05 13:14:30

sweezely

Actually it was meant to be taken very tongue in cheek and not at all seriously.

#75 19-04-05 13:26:32

Django

sweezely wrote:

Actually it was meant to be taken very tongue in cheek and not at all seriously.

I gathered that due to the smiley but it still comes over very harsh. Just wanted you to make amends before Terri reads it.

Board footer