You are not logged in.

#1 01-03-09 15:48:23

giggles184
Verified Member

Advice

Well this is a bit of a straightforward sort of question, im probably entirely stupuid for asking it but its going to do my head in lol.

Im looking into my part 1 right now, im feeling a little overwhelmed. Ive got 101 books and of course theyve all got the relevant information. Thing is im stuck on where to start properly. Ive been reading but i feel as though theres some order of things i should be following? Am i right or should i just keep reading and things will click into place the further along i go?

:?
Thankies lol

ADI part 1 - passed 1st attempt 11/5/09 97/63
ADI part 2 - passed 1st attempt 03/09/09 - 1 minor big_smile
ADI part 3........... start training 27/9/09 then we shall see!

01-03-09 15:48:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Advice

#2 01-03-09 16:03:52

VandADI
Administrator

The main books you need to be focusing on are :
The Official DSA Guide to Driving - the essential skills book
The Highway Code
Know your Traffic Signs
The Driving Instructors Handbook by John Miller and Margaret Stacy.

Read these from cover to cover and inside out, you can't go far wrong. wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 01-03-09 16:15:52

evanadi

Agree with all the books Vanda has mentioned above and what to do with them. If you want to see how things are conducted in the car, it would be worth you looking at the video lessons Carl has put together on 2pass. They are not just useful for learners but also people who are training to be ADI's...........Hope you don't mind me mentioning that Vanda. www.2pass.co.uk

Ev

#4 01-03-09 16:17:05

VandADI
Administrator

Not at all Ev  wink

#5 02-03-09 09:32:41

KevB
Verified Member
Website

I found the official question bank very helpful in helping me focus on what books and a systematic way of studying.

I don't mean using the question bank merely to get to the right answers (learning answers by rote) but to encourage me to then go to the reference books and look at the details as to why that question is being asked, what the question really means and then to know why the correct answer was correct.
Just as importantly, it also helped me understand why the incorrect answers were indeed incorrect.

It is just as important to understand WHY something is wrong as well as WHYsomething is right.

#6 02-03-09 16:06:26

jonnmedds
Verified Member

I qualified before DSA decided to sell the question bank so had to buy the books and I too found it hard to know where to start.

I bought myself a set of workbooks from the late Margeret Stacey(she wrote the instructors handbook) and found them very useful, I found they gave me some sort of structure to follow and I passed 1st time. big_smile

Jon

#7 04-03-09 17:14:14

giggles184
Verified Member

Thanks for all the replies. Im glad im not the only one who has sort of thought it all a little overwhelming to begin! lol.

Snax, ive been to a couple of local schools and one company offers a part 1 course which is in classroom for 10 hrs. Ive just got back from a sample lesson with another adi who disagrees with that method entirely. So now im confused. Is classroom learning PURELY for the part 1 going to be of any benefit. If it will help me structure things then its something that swings me more in favour of that school tbh.

Any thoughts on that would be appreciated aswell! big_smile

#8 04-03-09 17:50:31

VandADI
Administrator

You could also try John Farlam's Online Part 1 course at   http://www.smartdriving.co.uk/membershi … _Area.html
You get a free trial access to all materials, I can guarantee, you will not be disappointed! If you like the free trial the membership is £14.50 a year and well worth every penny, there is an abundance of free downloads including driver training materials which I use all the time.

#9 04-03-09 19:01:30

Makem Drive
Verified Member

I would agree with Snax that classroom training towards part 1 could be beneficial provided it is not just practice on the multi-choice question banks. In fact I would personally advise you to do no more than 2 theory practice tests and that would be just to familiarise yourself with the style of them.

You will be better reading the HC, AD14 & D.TES at home. Your class work need not be as long as Snax suggests. My personal opinion is 10 hrs. is usually ample provided you have done the homework first. You should already know the majority of the part 1 info. It's just a step up from the L-test but you do need to have a better understanding than a basic learner. Your class work should be based more on checking your knowledge that teaching you the info.

Remember in the part 1 test the answer is there in front of you, rule out the 2 silly answers and you are halfway to the correct one.
When you are teaching a pupil you need to fully understand the answer so you can word it correctly for you pupil to understand.

Don't think of your class work as part 1, part 2 & part 3 training. Think of it ALL as one lot of training towards being an instructor because even if you pass part 1 & 2 before getting any training you will still cover everything you need to in your part 3, it just may be delivered in a different style.

#10 08-03-09 21:15:49

giggles184
Verified Member

Thanks for everyones replies it has helped the decisions ive made that bit easier big_smile

I have made a choice to go with an adi, where there is 100% in car tuition i.e no classroom course for part 1. I was to be honest always doubtful personally as to whether that was necessary anyway. I am now getting my head into MANY theory books as i can. Im trying the approach of just picking bits at random and reading them for now, hopefully to prolong any monoatony that might arrive lol! Im finding its working well for the moment my brains taking 99% of it in and 3/4 days later i can still remember it all which wasnt happening before so thats good!

If it keeps going this way part 1 will be being booked up fairly soon! big_smile If not ol well ill just be here a little while longer with it lol.

#11 08-03-09 21:55:30

Aspyre

Snaxmuppet the pass rate at Part 3 is around 25%.. When you say 4%... I think it is around 6% but not to quibble... dont you mean the overall pass rate of all three parts??

#12 08-03-09 22:02:15

Makem Drive
Verified Member

While I agree in principal with what Snax is saying I feel that as an experienced driver (especially if you took the HP part of the test)you should already have almost all of the knowledge & understanding required to pass part 1. The only bits you may struggle with (and fail because of) is the questions that are aimed directly at instructors (there are only a few but enough to cause a fail).

Any 'part 1' training you miss by taking the test before you train WILL be covered as you pass through part 2 & on to part 3 as without it you won't pass part 3.

It's one of those 'horses for courses' things where both side are right and 'agreeing to differ' could be the order of the day.

#13 08-03-09 22:51:44

scannermanh
Verified Member

Snax
Pt1 can be done yourself, without any classroom or in-car time,
the Knowledge is in the DSA books, read the books, learn the subjects
and the test is a doddle, the HP does take practice, buy the CD, practice.
You're right You need the Knowledge you gain doing Pt1 to start PT2 ie you
need to know the laws to drive at a PT2 standard and you need to know how
to drive at a PT2 standard to teach Pt3, but they are different skills with their
own hurdles to cross.
Don't underestimate Pt3, its not about your knowledge of the first 2 parts but
your ability to pass that knowledge on

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#14 09-03-09 09:49:20

KevB
Verified Member
Website

The trick is not to stop the theory study after you have passed part 1.

you need a good grasp of the therory to pass part 2, although that is the practical test, you still have to know the theory to be able to apply it appropriately for part 2.

Likewise, you should continue your theory AND your practical study/application whilst preparing for part 3, even though you have passed both part 1 and part 2.

I agree with Snax, it is 1 qualification, split into 3 modules.

I see no harm in preparing for all 3 at the same time, but neither do I see any harm in preparing for each seperately, PROVIDED studying continues for each module even after that particular test is passed.

To think one knows all the theory, even if one gets 100% in part 1 that will be required for part2, or that one knows all about skillful car control even if one gets 0 DF's on part 2, might be setting oneself up for a fall for part 3.

The pass mark for part 1 is high, and the number of passes is approx 75% which is a big improvement over previous years, possibly down to the release of the question bank.
But this may not be such a bad thing as it helps the candidates to target their studying.
However, learning the answers by rote will only assist in passing part 1, it will not be of great value for parts 2 and especially for part 3.

Continuation of studying the theory, and the improvement of driving skill after part 2 is just as important for part 3 as the instructional training taken for part 3.

#15 09-03-09 19:06:56

giggles184
Verified Member

Snax... I am by NO MEANS approaching any of my "tests" as seperated. I understand that they follow in one anothers footsteps. I fully intend to continue with my part 1 whilst i am working on my part 2. I simply dont see the need for a 10 hr classroom course however. Had there been an offer of sitting down for an hr or 2 to organise my head with an adi then i would have leaped at the chance, but as you say i am capable of self study and i KNOW that this will push me harder towards achieving the end result.
What i have already read for instance is simply a continuation and or confirmation of what i was aware of to begin with. Now its a case of remembering and applying it in many contexts.

I am going to look at the question bank, but not until ive read the vast majority of the reading list i dont wish to learn the anwsers by rote as this is something i can remember doing as a learner and it did me no good watsoever in the longer term lol!.

#16 09-03-09 20:07:26

scannermanh
Verified Member

Snax
Whatever you're perseptions about how the qualification process is going to
go for you, I'm sure you will get there.
Having come out of the other end, it amazed me how different the process was
compared to how I thought it would be, so Snax loosen up a bit, be a bit flexible and
take it as it comes, if your too dogmatic and get it wrong it may not be as easy as it
could be, especially pt3.
When you have qualified, let us know how it went and good luck.

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

Board footer