You are not logged in.

#1 01-03-09 20:41:09

mattlilley
Verified Member
Website

Part 3, any advice required

Hi Guys

Have applied for Part 3 18th March.

Have had just under 40hrs training, and feeling quite confident with the up and coming test. Have read lots of posts where people have failed saying "i'd wish I knew that beforehand"

Does anybody have any advice or hints they can share with me however small for the part 3.

Cheers

Matt

Part 1. Passed 16/4/08
Part 2. Passed 16/5/08
Part 3. Failed 1st attempt 17/3/09
Part 3. 2nd attempt Passed 01/05/09
1st Check Test Grade 6 31/3/10

01-03-09 20:41:09

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3, any advice required

#2 01-03-09 21:01:32

evanadi

Hi Mattlilley is that 40 hours 1 - 1 or 40 hours 2 in a car?. Ev

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 01-03-09 21:16:46

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

It is important to give a good comprehensive briefing, for example on my second attempt PST4 phase1. I missed out the width to pull up from kerb, so SE pulls up touching kerb.

Perhaps the most important thing are the 3 core comps.

Fault ID [see the fault]

Fault Analysis [ask/tell why it was a fault/ possible consequences] preferably done pulled up.

Remedial Action [ask/tell/prompt SE just before they repeat fault] can be done on the move.

Good luck.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#4 01-03-09 21:26:40

steved

1. Treat the examiner like a real pupil.
2. Keep control at all times.
3. Don't be afraid to pull up by the side of the road, to regain control.
4. Listen out for lifelines from the examiner, they really want to help you.
5. With any faults: See it,Say it,Sort it.
6. Keep control
7. Did I metion keeping control !!!!!

#5 01-03-09 21:33:05

mattlilley
Verified Member
Website

Ev

Its 1 to 1 in car

Part 1. Passed 16/4/08
Part 2. Passed 16/5/08

#6 02-03-09 13:12:32

learnwithrichard
Verified Member

The advice so far is good. I'd reiterate the need to be in control because the examiner can run rings round you. If it starts to go bent, stop and get on top of it because you won't pass if you're playing catch up.

A positive mental attitude is important. I took 3 attempts at part 3. I sat in the passenger seat, alone,  before my last attempt and said to myself "this is my office, I'm in charge" and I didn't let myself get intimidated by the examiner. You have to consider them a pupil because if you imagine them to be superior in any way you're doomed.

Also, don't try to make them the perfect driver in 20 minutes  - you wouldn't do that to a real pupil so why them? Focus on the key faults associated with the PST and don't get side tracked. If they try to take them off subject tell them you'll discuss it at the debrief (remember to do so).

Be yourself, teach in the way you want to teach not how you think he/she wants to see you teach. If it's not natural you'll struggle.

Don't make the briefing excessively long - 5-7 minutes is what I'd aim for.

Remember - "tell them about what they don't know, question them about what they do know".

Before moving off check they've driven from that point before and at that time - help them if not, question them if they have.

In the debrief summarize what you've covered and test their knowledge with a couple of questions.

Good luck.

#7 02-03-09 13:32:20

mcculde
Verified Member

Matt
Be yourself and look the examiner in the eye as much as possible when briefing him in phase 1.
In phase 2 use eyes, hands and feet when observing the pupil alongside driving the car the way you would do it from the passenger seat. Vary the questioning as much as possible and try if you can to not to use (why) too often when trying to gain agreement to your fault finding. Whatever happens go there to take control.

#8 02-03-09 18:38:50

Russ_H
Website

Matt,

I've just left DSA after many years of conducting Part 2, Part 3 and check tests.

Here is some specific advice about Part 3 tests.

1)   Avoid lengthy briefings. Far too much importance is often attached to them.
      Cover the main points, then get onto the road. The examiner will appreciate it.

2)   Many examiners like to have a go at three of each fault, so, for example, three
      right corner cuts. If you do not address them, the examiner will assume that
      you haven't seen them, and then will move onto something else. This will earn
      you a "not covered" marking for that particular fault, which is worse than
      unsatisfactory.

3)   On a complex exercise such as major to minor turns, there are, I think, 12 faults
      in the left column of the marking sheet. If the examiner wants to have a go at
      three of each, that's 36 faults. If you gave a 5 minute briefing, the examiner has
      25 minutes available to commit 36 faults. That's one every 40 seconds. You are
      going to be busy. Do not just sit there. Work.

4)   Reduce the number of possible faults by giving positive instruction to head them
      off. If you don't, it will be considered retrospective. Bad news.

5)   Some believe that it is correct to allow faults to occur, then correct them afterwards.
      Think of this. You are teaching someone to parachute, and you both jump out of the
      aircraft. You notice that your pupil has not pulled his ripcord. Would you wait until after
      he arrives at ground-level at high speed before you offered instruction?

6)   Do not correct imaginary faults.

7)   If an examiner commits a genuine, unplanned fault, one that is not in the left column,
      mention it, but don't harp on about it.

8)   On Q&A, try to ask constructive questions ahead of the game. Questions starting "Why
      is it important...?" used to irritate me, because they were almost always retrospective.

9)   Don't just sit there. Work.

If you would like me to expand on any of these points, just ask.

Regards

Russ

russ_hogg@hotmail.co.uk
http://www.russellhogg.co.uk

#9 02-03-09 18:45:37

jem
Verified Member

Welcome to the forum Russ. Good to have you aboard. Look forward to your contributions.

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.

#10 02-03-09 21:25:04

mattlilley
Verified Member
Website

Thanks everyone for finding the time to reply.

Some great advice.....much appreciated.

Part 1. Passed 16/4/08
Part 2. Passed 16/5/08

#11 03-03-09 08:01:20

The Saint
Verified Member

Hi Russ

I'd also like to welcome you to the Forum. It's always good to get another 'take' on some issues and your experience with the DSA will be invaluable.

I for one will look forward to your input...   

Did you think you didn't have to choose it?
That I alone could win or lose it?
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

Board footer