You are not logged in.

#1 11-02-09 13:10:39

sophy
Verified Member

Starting off

Hiya my problem is beginning the lesson, I'm still not quite sure how to start off, I know firstly Introduce & then do you recap on previous lessons & then go to the brief? I know what I want to say in my head but when I'm with my trainer I just freeze & I fluff my words- I have heard Keep it Simple so would you basically just explain what we were going to do on this lesson & then go on to explain, demonstrate etc- I'm sorry if I sound a bit thick, its just really getting to me & I normally am a great communicater & my current job involves dealing with people all day.

Thanks any help greatly appreciated
Sophy

11-02-09 13:10:39

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Starting off

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 11-02-09 19:45:58

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

I started off like that too. You will get over it.
Do you commentary drive?  Try doing a "lesson" on yourself and talking it through.  A voice recorder will help as you can play it back to see if you missed anything.

#3 11-02-09 20:06:33

mcculde
Verified Member

Sophy
Dont be put off by saying daft things to your trainer when he is in role.
Start by recapping what the pupil has done so far from the word picture you are given. For example today I would like you to teach me crossroads so far I have done cockpit checks and controls, Junctions left /right approaching and emerging and today my instructor was going to go through crossroads but he is off sick and you have been asked to take the lesson. Start with introduction confirm you may call them by Pete/Peter etc and find out what they know. So what routine to you do when approaching a side road to the left Pete . Listen for MSM/PSL and then what they understand by open / closed junctions. Look early on open and proceed if safe think of stopping on closed and inch forward until good view of main road. Once that is confirmed state your Objective for today ( by the end of todays lesson you will be able to deal with crossroads using the correct procedure) Then start your brief ask questions about parts they should know and mention fully the new parts you want to teach them. ( Road ahead and who has priority ) Treat them as a novice and instruct accordingly. Finally keep at it we all go through these fears.

#4 11-02-09 21:22:40

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Think about what you would do in the real world.

You'd want to know a bit about them and what they'd covered/understood/practiced before jumping into the brief.

Gear your questions to the subject, then be prepared to add to/reduce emphasis on bits of the brief from what you've found out already.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 11-02-09 22:23:41

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

I know what I want to say in my head but when I'm with my trainer I just freeze & I fluff my words

Your doing part 3 training with your trainer. You don't need to have everything off pat to start with. Write it down and read it out. You can then amend your script to add/delete things your missing or not getting right. The script then becomes a useful reference aid. Reading it out to start with helps you get used to talking in an unfamiliar fashion. After a while you won't need the scripts and you can then add or leave things out "on the hoof".

Don't jump to doing part 3 until you've actually learnt how to do it  big_smile big_smile

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#6 28-02-09 21:54:32

sophy
Verified Member

I have to say I have just spent the best £20 ever by subscribing to Blaine Walsh's video training- its helping me enormously by actually watching & listening to him & other PDI's rather than just reading & going out with my trainer, I feel like I have learnt more by watching one of these than I have so far, just by listening to him makes you more aware of what's expected & also how to say it, my advise to anyone just starting Part 3, watch these video's as soon as you start Part 3 & it WILL help you understand what its all about, wish I'd done it weeks ago. It seems to sink in more by watching & I seem to remember more too, great thing is you can watch anytime & as many times as you wish for £19.95 per month.

#7 01-03-09 19:48:34

scannermanh
Verified Member

Get yourself a voice recorder, will frighten the life out of you when you
listen to your lessons and will show you where you can improve.
Will also show how you are improving when you replay old ones.

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

Board footer