You are not logged in.

#1 01-03-09 09:18:13

tez

This is hurting my head

Hi, I'm new to this forum, I'm recently qualified and I'm trying to get my head around this CPD.
I struggle to understand things sometimes, and this is one of those times.

I think my problem is I have a friend who is an accountant and he uses the CPD system, He must acquire a number of points in every year, Attending a seminar may give him 5, subscribing to a magazine maybe 1 etc.. But he tells me it gets reset every year.

Is this the case for us?

If I go and do 'everything' now, IE go on a first aid course, IAM, Rospa, DIA diploma etc. Will I be shooting myself in the foot in 4 years time when I have done everything.

If it does NOT reset and the score keeps mounting up, how do I know what my score is?

Also, Is there a 'Directory' of everything that qualifies for a CPD score.

Sorry if this comes across as a bit dim  :?

01-03-09 09:18:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: This is hurting my head

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 01-03-09 09:48:01

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Our CPD system has not yet been quantified. It currently exists as a volountary system.

When (and it is a "when") it does arrive, it is likely to take the form of a set number of hours over the lifetime of the ADI licence, being reset to 0 on licence renewal.

What has been suggested is a set number of hours per year, but where some of the hours may be credited from 1 year to the next provided the minimum number of hours for the whole 4 year period is reached.

It is expected that the system will not accept all the hours being done in the final year, and none towards the beginning of the 4 year period.

I think the idea is to encourage ongoing development throughout the 4 year period, rather than a last minute rush.

Some of the CPD will be on compulsory subjects, and some can be done from a list of voloutary subjects.

No fixed criteria has been set although a list of what is expected is available from the DSA website as well as some of the representative organisations.

Anyone currently claiming to offer accredited courses or training are basing that on what is expected to be required rather than what has been legislated, as the final system has not yet been published or released.

#3 01-03-09 14:18:45

adi
Verified Member
Website

Try not to think of CPD as doing 'something' for someone else (DSA).
Look at CPD as the basis of 'continually developing' your understanding and skills relevant to the job you do, ie teaching people to drive.
If you do that, you will be keeping the DSA happy, your pupils happy and yourself happy as you become wiser and experienced in your new role as an instructor.
It's basically to stop you qualifying and then doing nothing for the next 30 years to 'build' upon what you learned and demonstrated to qualify.
It's a bit like looking at your average driver on the road, they pass a test and then do nothing more for the rest of their lives. how much of a better driver would they be if they studied and took further advanced tests and driving courses like skid control etc.

Board footer