You are not logged in.

#1 21-02-09 16:18:54

mon
Verified Member
Website

out and about

out and about
« Thread Started Today at 4:16pm »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi everyone,
Started on public roads today with my nephew,thats my first time also.We went to a carpark done briefing for Left Turn of Major,I decided to do only one at a time as I had worked out a 4 mile route on not too busy roads with 7 LT s that would get us back to the starting point.
Can I just say that without Duals and only your voice to control your pupil,it is very scary sometimes.Especially when my pupil sometimes is a bit unresponsive,I have to raise my voice occasionally and am afraid I sound too Firm but when approaching Junctions and I ask Come off the gas please??I just wish he would do it more promptly,but I suppose thats what I will have to get used to.
Plus his road position was sometimes too far out and I found myself reaching over and gently taking the wheel and guiding him to the right position,just wondering is that acceptable on Test if its a phase 1 and the SE continues to position wrong.But the pupil who is my nephew,done very well for first time with smooth gear changes,brisk acceleration and Push Pull working well,so I got a great buzz today and I am going to Belfast tomorrow totally addicted to this game,will be delivering a brief on Clearance,meeting and anticipation,Mock tests start next week.Any advice please..
Mon

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

21-02-09 16:18:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: out and about

#2 21-02-09 16:30:01

Aspyre

i think youre doing it right by being firm.. if you're too wordy it takes too long to say.. stick with 'less gas' and 'off the gas' and being firm gets the message across quick.

it would be ok to correct the posn like that if you tell them you're going to do it but you have to make sure they know what posn they need and they learn.. try geting them to look at where the edge of the road is when you have positioned it but make sure they dont stare at it and keep looking ahead just glancing at the posn from time to time.

#3 21-02-09 17:02:05

driver69

Hi mon, you are braver than I am taking a learner without duals.  One thing I learned early on was to use as few words as possible to get the pupil to do want you want.  As Aspyre says "less gas" etc.  The pupil is trying to process a lot of new  information as well as being nervous and even things like left and right get mixed up so pointing can help.

I also find you may need to tell them what foot to use as saying off clutch for example they have to think which is the clutch where as saying "left foot of clutch" or  "left foot up" gets a quicker response.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 21-02-09 23:10:21

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Don't worry about sounding firm, early stages your telling them not asking them anyway. If you want him to do something, work on telling him about 2 or 3 seconds before you want him to actually do it, as a rough guide to start with. It takes early stage learners about that long to process the information your giving them.

Again nowt wrong with gentle guidance on steering wheel. Tell them why though.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#5 22-02-09 10:34:45

jonnmedds
Verified Member

If you're on the right route for his abilities, teaching at the right level and bringing subjects in at the right time then you should very rarely need duals anyway. In fact mine are hardly ever used except for demonstration purposes such as clutch control and hill starts etc.

Jon

Board footer