You are not logged in.

#1 17-02-09 18:40:15

maders
Verified Member
Website

Moving.....

hello all,

i would like to advise, i currently work in SW london with BSM. I have done for approx 1 1/2 yrs only went full time last year. i love the job, but there is not as much money in it as i thought. i know that its not all about the money, but living in london is not cheap by any means. I would like to move out to Essex with my partner. Ive also been looking for a part-time/full-time job because of this whole recision thing. I have several options

1) Move out to Essex and do the 80 mile round trip to keep my clients in London?
2) Move out to Essex and move to the Southend off hoping that i get the same sort of work that is in London?
3) Get a part-time/full-time job and do the driving part time or start up my own driving school? (advise on how to do that would be grateful, is it hard??)
4) Sack the driving for a while and get some money behind me for my own driving school??

Feedback would be greatly appreciated, or any other options you can think off...

many thanks

Lee

'be driven to success'

17-02-09 18:40:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Moving.....

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 17-02-09 19:00:03

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Hi Lee,

BSM operate in Southend too smile

If you can give them a few weeks notice, i'm sure they could help with your diary filling in Southend to coincide with a moving date.

your existing pupils could then be handed over to BSM to re-allocate, or if you are friendly with another instructor who needs pupils  you could pass them onto him/her.

#3 17-02-09 19:04:51

george
Verified Member
Website

Being an instructor with BSM isn't cheap! Have you thought abouth getting a second hand car for around 4k and going solo? If 4k seems a bit scary get a 5 month old lease car from Robinsons for £295 a month. You'll only need to work a fraction of the time to "break even" than if you stayed with BSM. There is loads of good advice on this forum when it comes to generating pupils. Choosey learner, DLBS, DSBS and one2one are just a few franchise free ways of generating pupils.

I moved 220 mile last Dec. My a$$ watch twitching for a while but things are looking good for the future.

Good luck with the move.

Paul Shackleton DSA ADI.-----DSA Fleet, Diamond Advanced, NVQ L3 In driver Training & Assessment, A1 & Ordit

#4 17-02-09 19:06:22

maders
Verified Member
Website

im just worried that there will not be enough clients to make the money up there hence the reason for the part-time job.

i just want my exciting clients to think that im dumping them, the manager at the BSM office in streatham gave me a hard time about that, that would be a better idea

'be driven to success'

#5 17-02-09 19:24:05

george
Verified Member
Website

I would imagine you B$M manager was more concered about losing an ADI! Especially with all that's been going on.

Think about YOURSELF for a change. If you can't do that then THE WIFE, or KIDS.

Your your own man. Your current pups will get a new ADI/PDI and forget about you in minuets.

Time for you to put your moral compas to the back of the glove box, for the time being.

Paul Shackleton DSA ADI.-----DSA Fleet, Diamond Advanced, NVQ L3 In driver Training & Assessment, A1 & Ordit

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 17-02-09 19:32:00

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

i just want my exciting clients to think that im dumping them,

I've got some of these too, and there are many times I dream of dumping them big_smile big_smile

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#7 17-02-09 19:39:32

maders
Verified Member
Website

i so know what you mean, but im too nice of a person to just dump them

but i need to think of what i want and get things sorted

'be driven to success'

#8 17-02-09 20:40:53

Aspyre

i think you have too be careful advising people to take major carreer moves when theres no guarantees in this job.. it is quite likely that someone leaving there franchise to go solo would get few or no pupils and that could destroy them..

At this stage I would advise staying with BSM unless you have a reliable backup fund of money to use to kep you going solo.. pupils dont grow on trees.. you have to dig deep for them and its hard work if you have to do all the digging yourself.. perhaps too hard work in these reccession-hit times.

#9 18-02-09 21:08:12

Target
Verified Member
Website

I could write a book on the questions you have just asked so Ill try to keep it simple.

Ive never understood the B$M thing. They charge a staggering £350 for their franchise, yet they manage to keep some 2500 instructors on the road. I pay out less than half this on a weekly basis and still earn crap money, thats even making an allowance for £1/£1.50 difference in prices.

Monies a big issue here. Your either going to earn nothing working for B$M, or your going to take a loss and make it work for yourself.

I think the decision would come down to how much I wanted to move out of London.

Whereever you are thou, as you have realised theres no money in franchises - Only if you sell them, and even then its not easy.

If your happy in London, and I have to admit I love this city, I love where I live, then stay and work hard. Your gonna take a hit but you will reap the rewards.

If the work is there, and you have not mentioned lack of work, then theres no reason why you cannot turn your futunes in your favour and still make additional cash per week.

Theres some good cars out their at the mo. £4-6k, spread the costs over 3-4 years, the cars going to cost around lets say at the most £4k to run over 4 years. A big difference to a franchise, costing you some £13k a year.

Good Luck!

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#10 18-02-09 23:47:17

shelim
Verified Member

Hello Lee

Being a instructor in a new area is very difficult because no one knows you. Thats why starting new on your own in new area will be very very difficult.
So going indy is going to be a bad move, If I were you I would franchise with Big names e.g BSM or AA or any local driving school who is well known in that area to establish myself in that area.

I will not franchise with someone who has a base in long way from your area.
Or I will not sign a long tern contract,

GOOD LUCK hope this help

Board footer