You are not logged in.

#1 12-02-09 10:14:58

paulcook
Verified Member
Website

If I pass pt 3 while on a pink, what happens to my pupils if I choose to go solo

If I pass part 3 whilst on a pink, what happens to my pupils?

I've 5 pupils near test standard and would love to see them through their test.  If I'm lucky enough to pass part 3 (exam coming up imminently) I'd want to cease my franchise and become an independent instructor.  It seems very unprofesional to "poach" these pupils from the school who sponsor me (and gave me the pupils in the first place).

If my pupils want to stay with me, would the school just give them to me?  Or would the school insist on placing the pupils with their other instructors?  What normally happens here?   Any thoughts welcome.

Paul Cook, ADI, Grade 5, DIAmond Special Test

12-02-09 10:14:58

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: If I pass pt 3 while on a pink, what happens to my pupils if I choose to go solo

#2 12-02-09 10:42:59

george
Verified Member
Website

Re: If I pass pt 3 while on a pink, what happens to my pupils if I choose to go solo

You said it Paul, "My Pupils"

They are yours. This is where your marketing and people skills come into play. You need to let them know that you have great news, you will me becoming an Indipendant ADI so therefore wont be restricted by your current school. You'll be able to affer greater flexibility, poss a cheaper price as you wont have the expensive franchise fee to pay, etc, etc.

Make the break a posative thing for your pupils and they won't dream of changing to a new, possably Trainee instructor.

All this is assuming you pay your school a franchise fee. If not, why go solo just yet? There are some good schools out there.

Paul Shackleton DSA ADI.-----DSA Fleet, Diamond Advanced, NVQ L3 In driver Training & Assessment, A1 & Ordit

#3 12-02-09 10:48:13

paulcook
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for your reply George.  I'm glad you think I should continue to offer my services to my current pupils.

I guess I was just worried about upsetting my current school (to whom I pay a franchise fee) who have been kind to me.  I'd suppose the right thing to do is to let the school make the decision.... I'd be happier taking the pupils with their blessing. 

#4 12-02-09 10:53:17

Mr.Pink Eyes

Hi Paul,

Ive been in your shoes it does feel like your poaching. BUT if you offer them a choice would they stay with your franchised company with another instructor, OR you the nice friendly instructor they have learnt to drive with. They are free agents let them choose, if you've done your job well they will stay with you. (Now thats not poaching is it).

ADI
Fleet Trainer
LGV1
Cycling Proficiency Test pass 1971

#5 12-02-09 10:55:58

Makem Drive
Verified Member

In a case like that you would little option but to explain to them that you are leaving the school to start up on your own. Explain that they are free to choose who teaches them and give them the option to

Be passed on to another instructor with the current school.
Leave the school & continue with you in your new school.
Leave the school & find a new instructor elsewhere.

In most cases you would find that they would come with you to your new school as it is you rather than the school that they deal know and feel loyalty to.
If you have a good relationship with you school then be honest & keep them informed and explain what option you have offered the pupils.

Remember the pupil is the customer & they are free to purchase instruction from ANY supplier they wish.

If you are employed (rather than on franchise) that would be slightly different situation as they would be pupils of the school so you would say you were leaving to start up your own school & you'll arrange for another instructor to contact them. At that point it is likely that they would ask if they can continue with you to which you would answer yes or no depending on how you feel about it.

Hope this helps. This is just me opinion.

#6 12-02-09 13:24:56

paulcook
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for your replies folks.  I'm reassured.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 12-02-09 17:28:10

Doc
Verified Member
Website

Pupils who come to franchised instructors via the franchise are no different to any other pupil, in the respect that they can't be owned. Your franchise has generated this work for you but then you pay a franchise fee so have already paid for the part they played in getting you pupils. As has been said, the most ethical way to manage this affair is to tell them of your intentions in going inde and let them decide if it's you or the school they want to stay with. You will find that most (if not all) will come to you and if your school shows the audacity to confront you on that issue then gently remind them that they have already been paid for their services.

Board footer