You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 07-02-09 14:02:43

Target
Verified Member
Website

Re: Starting Up - Brand New Green Badge!

Personally If I ran a franchise I dont think id want to see that instructor driving around in the morning with Target Tuition on the roof sign then have his own roof sign later in the afternoon. Even worse if it was my car.

YOu want someone on board whos serious, you want that car driving around advertising 24/7 not having someone else just use you as a merry go round.

It seems the way forward around here thou. See plenty driving around with their own car in the morning, they off to do the franchisers work in the afternoon.

Surely theres another way of passing on pupils, if we could just get over ourselves. Anyways.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

07-02-09 14:02:43

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 07-02-09 15:04:30

Makem Drive
Verified Member

I did say own car (see line 2 of post). I can see your point of if it were your SOM, but then headboard franchise companies know that many will go indy at some point so use use new ADIs to take some of the excess pupils. If there are 2  ADIs been together for years & are now turning work away, would they take on a new ADI & split ALL new pupils 3 ways?

Those who want to expand their SOM would have fixed term contracts & include what could & could not be done in the T&Cs.

#28 07-02-09 18:12:24

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

As a school we would not allow somebody to run under their own livery as well. Our Terms and Conditions don't allow it. From our point of view they would be using us, our name and reputation for half of their work. The half they can't source themselves. The marketing they would be doing would also conflict with ours. There are too many conflicts in the whole arrangement. So sorry guys but in this situation we would say if now's the time to go it alone do so.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#29 07-02-09 18:47:15

Target
Verified Member
Website

Personally I feel one of the problem we have in this profession ( amongst a whole lot more ) is that the Adi is undervalued.

Firstly they are more skilled and experienced, yet they are not given any credit within a franchise business against their Pdi counter parts. In some cases a Pdi is worth more financially than an Adi.

My time at the AA, whilst I never received enough pupils, I did enjoy a low fee of £135.00 per week. With my car now and expensive insurance premiums in London Id struggle to beat that with the same standard of vehicle. Personally I thought we could work together at the time, and I was doing everything to build my diary, yet money came along and a £40 increase kinda put a stop to my plans. With those sort of charges I could'nt wit around smelling the roses.

What Im trying to say is, this concept that people need to move on just produces more of a problem long term, it would be better to nerture and invest long term with instructors rather than seeing them move on and lost.

Sadly some have a different view and the cash is king, I just hope that things will take a turn, I know with the callers I get people are beginning to realise that there is a difference in what each instructor can provide.

SLightly drifting, but related.

The instructors I see may have asked there franchiser, some are independents, and have started giving tuition in the franchise car, what could happen is the independent starts with Jimmys School of Motoring after being indepedent for 20 years, does 4 weeks with Jimmy's and BLEEP!!! off again after he has filled his diary.

I might do that with the AA, they do a good start up deal big_smile Could get a full diary with little costs. wink

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#30 07-02-09 19:24:59

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

We do like to work well with our instructors and do everything we can to help them. I have even been to the scrap yard in the rain to get parts off a car for an instructor to help out. Our view is the relationship is symbiotic.

We had an instructor come to us about 4 years ago from Big School Motoring who had no work to speak of so was seriously out of pocket. So this guy gave us a couple of weeks before he started and we filled his car. He wasn't happy, came to see us a couple of times on his first week shouting and ranting that his quantity of pupils was not enough. We couldn't understand it, he had a good 40 hours work but wanted loads more pupils. We said they would come but at least he was busy now. Could not figure him out and thought we had a serious head case on our hands as he was so mad he was near to violence.

Among his pupils we gave him a couple of semi-intensive ones, this was the problem. It turned out he had already booked his Yellow Pages advert to start a couple of months later and wanted to up his pupils ASAP to tide him over while he built his business then drop us. Of course his semi-intensive pupils would all finish with him quickly. We parted company after a couple of weeks and he took his pupils with him.

As a school this left a bad taste in my mouth. He thought it was somehow OK to take advantage of another business built up by it's family owners. Suffice to say I saw him around all over the place so he was having to travel far and wide for work. Lasted about a year, Yellow Pages adverts ended and haven't seen him around since.

Colin Martin

#31 07-02-09 21:11:12

Makem Drive
Verified Member

I have heard the some franchise require that the ADI pays an introduction fee for EVERY pupil, even the ones that came to them direct (including their family & friends).

As mentioned in my last post some may only throw the extra to the new guy, keeping the lions share for themselves & keeping their own books full.

I've heard stories of how some ADIs get little work from the company & are expected/have to source most of the pupils themselves but still pay the fee & display the boards.

To go with a franchise purely to 'steal' pupils is wrong but if you are not provided with en ought work & have to self source then that could be considered differently.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#32 08-02-09 10:04:14

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

I have heard the some franchise require that the ADI pays an introduction fee for EVERY pupil, even the ones that came to them direct (including their family & friends).

As mentioned in my last post some may only throw the extra to the new guy, keeping the lions share for themselves & keeping their own books full.

I've heard stories of how some ADIs get little work from the company & are expected/have to source most of the pupils themselves but still pay the fee & display the boards.

To go with a franchise purely to 'steal' pupils is wrong but if you are not provided with en ought work & have to self source then that could be considered differently.

Let's look at the situation here before we get into big time school bashing.

What is a driving school? A supplier of services to driving instructors. These usually include marketing, phone answering and admin support amongst others. Like all good businesses a school should have a strategy to deliver the services with terms and conditions for the delivery of them.

What is the Instructor? A customer of the driving school who buys these services for a fee. As a customer they are happy with the terms and conditions. If not they can buy their services elsewhere. Like walking into another shop. Or they can do the work themselves. Like buying the wood from B&Q.

I know there are bad schools and terrible terms and conditions out there. But we are all big boys and girls so like any other part of life do your research and if you don't like the terms and conditions of a school, like stupid long notice periods, then go elsewhere. And always check before joining a school what their marketing strategy is and how pupils are allocated. Also ask how many instructors they intend to take on in your area. Get it written down as well.

Colin Martin

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#33 11-02-09 00:13:15

Makem Drive
Verified Member

Who does that makem? Come on... spill the beans...

It is just what on ADI/PDI mentioned in passing, no school name mentioned so don't know if it is true. Would be hard for school to check on so I don't think it would happen. Stories get passed around so unless you get the info 'from the horses mouth' you take it with 'a pinch of salt' like I did. The comment was posted to see if others had heard or know of this practice.

There are good & bad school, just like there are schools that may work 'hand in hand' (as B&Bs do. If they are full they phone each other B&Bs to check if they have rooms). Yes you are free to buy the services from any school but some come with fixed term contracts & if it turns out to be a bad school that doesn't fullfill it's end of the deal you could be stuck with not much work & no cost effective way out.

When taking a franchise there is nothing wrong asking if you can advertise your own services. It may be the school is 'out of your area' so they may not mind. Each have their own rules & you need to check them all before deciding.

#34 17-02-09 00:00:55

RIC

Hi Rooster

When I started my course 2 years ago I had laready made up my mind that I wanted to be 100% independent. I trained with TIC and didn't take up a pink badge, but as a consequence was forced to go up north to take further training from another company to bring me up to scratch. It has been a long, hard slog, but I passed my part 3 at the beginning of October 08 and received my first payment for professional instruction in mid November.

December was very gloomy for me - virtually no pupils, little experience and a mountain of debt, but January and Feb have been much better. In the space of 5 weeks I've found new 7 pupils - 4 referrals and 3 from internet advertising. I've been told that I can expect a few more pupils as referals, over the coming weeks too. I've also just got my letter informing me of my first check test in April.

So with regard to what you should do next, all I can say is I am very proud of my own humble beginnings going it alone. I've got my own school name, own logo, own website and my own car all sign written up. I've also got my own debt and advertsing costs, and constantly ponder how I should be keeping the most efficient records for the tax man (see my post for self assessment records)!

Do I have any regrets? Sometimes I think that had I training with a different organisation or taken out a pink badge I would have passed part 3 a lot sooner, but so what. Right now the future is mine and I've never been happier!

Rick

#35 17-02-09 15:02:20

scannermanh
Verified Member

If a school can only supply, lets say 20hrs worth of pupils,
then thats all they have a moral right of your time, therefore
if you have your own car and can source another 20 hrs yourself
or from another school, so be it. The schools can't have it both ways,
smacks of restraint of trade, could even be illegal in spite of whats in
their T&Cs

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#36 17-02-09 15:22:38

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

If a school can only supply, lets say 20hrs worth of pupils,
then thats all they have a moral right of your time, therefore
if you have your own car and can source another 20 hrs yourself
or from another school, so be it. The schools can't have it both ways,
smacks of restraint of trade, could even be illegal in spite of whats in
their T&Cs

If you don't like a schools terms, don't start working for them, it's that simple.

Colin Martin

#37 17-02-09 15:34:18

scannermanh
Verified Member

If the terms are illegal then you can't enforce them
without risk of being sued.
I think you miss the point I was trying to make.
When you start for a school you are not going to get 40hrs
from day one, but hopefully it builds up, but generally you
will be paying your fee very quickly. Your intention was
to be a full time instructor for the school, but the school
has not been able to hold its end up.
If you as a school, are so confident at supplying enough
pupils to your instructors, then you have no need to restrict
them as they won't have the time or need to work elsewhere,
so what are you afraid of?

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#38 09-07-09 20:03:46

Hale
Verified Member
Website

At the end of the day, how much do you need to earn?
Remember take that weekly franchise fee out and it makes a big difference.
If you can keep and get the most out of every pupil you get, it doesn't take much to slowly build up your diary.

When i say STOP, I can only mean ONE thing!

Part 1 - Passed Sept 2003
Part 2 - Passed Nov 2003
Part 3 - Failed Aug 2004
Part 3 - Passed Jan 2005

http://www.hayleys-driving-tuition.co.uk

Board footer