You are not logged in.

#1 06-02-09 15:03:24

Quimby
Verified Member

Do you need a pink to qualify?

Just interested what other people think - do you get any extra benefit from having a pink badge and teaching on it?

I qualified 12 months ago having realised early on that there was no way I'd be ready for the Part 3 after the hours I'd paid my school were finished.  My trainer spent extra time with me, role playing & giving excellent preparation for the test (his roles were real barstewards, which meant the examiner was a pussycat in comparison!)

However I was not tempted to take a pink badge & get experience that way for a number of reasons

1. I knew that I wasn't able to deliver a lesson to the required standard, so didn't think it would be fair on a paying customer

2. My style of learning benefits me best when I drop out of role & get feedback on the go, rather than completing the session & debriefing at the end.  This wouldn't happen on a test

3. I was well aware that Part 3 is a role play, nothing more, and as long as you are identifying, analysing & fixing problems, your 'pupil' will learn very quickly within a 30 minute session - not something that would happen in the real world.

4. I wanted to concentrate on training and passing Part 3 first time, rather than lose focus and spend all my time on a pink badge trying to earn money and operate a franchise, which a friend of mine did - he failed 3 times and has only very recently managed to qualify after a long wait (and more expense)

What are your thoughts?  Anyone on a pink badge who thinks they're not benefitting?  Or are you finding it beneficial for you?  Are you an ADI who had a pink badge - was it worth it?  Or did you qualify without it and feel that you could have qualified earlier if you had conducted real live lessons?

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't understood the gravity of the situation

06-02-09 15:03:24

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Do you need a pink to qualify?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 06-02-09 17:15:31

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

The 'pink' always creates big discussion from both sides....it has to be down to personal choice at the end of the day in my opinion.

I know plenty qualify without using one, but for me...i dont think i could have without the real life experience & confidence it gave me...simple as that  big_smile

#3 06-02-09 17:49:58

Spike
Verified Member

It varies from person to person - some benefit from it and some don't. I worked on a pink and am glad I did because it was great preparation for the real world - PSTs are nothing like real pupils! The problem with the pink badge though, is that it is abused. Too many people (including the driving schools) forget that it is a form of training!. Many PDIs are sent out on the road with little or no supervision. (When was the last time anyone saw a PDI on the road with an observer in the back?)

So, my view is that the trainee licence is great if used properly but sadly open to abuse.

#4 06-02-09 18:26:34

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

I'm no fan of the pink badge system, although I have sponsored them with the express understanding that I will supervise some lessons.  Pupils are provided f.o.c.

However, I believe sitting in on lessons with your trainer and discussing it after with the PDI having taken notes, is invaluable.

LA

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#5 06-02-09 21:36:06

Richard48
Verified Member

There seems to me to be a few issues here --

1) the cost through the likes of BSM; Instructor College; and Red -- is it value for money and does the PDI have the opportunity to learn the in car skills properly when there are other/PDIs in the car?

2) if the various instructor colleges are as good as the amount they are charging then why is it that the % of PDIs that make it at the end -- beyond Part 3 -- is considerably small?

3) the pink badge does at least give the PDI a period of incar training -- the question is though "are there enough trainers to deal satisfactorily with the volume of people wanting to become an ADI?" -- that is under the DSA's quota?

4) the volume of PDIs coming onto the register outstrips the current number of pupils wanting to learn to drive (add in the credit crunch) -- so the number of ADI drop outs in the first 4 year green badge is excessively high -- is this then perceived as a "big con" and possibly a lack of quality training?

Just food for thought as to how the training profession actually approaches proper value training and should the DSA allow the "fleecing" to go on under their regulatory powers?

#6 06-02-09 23:33:26

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

I think if you get a good sponsor from a small school/independant ADI you benefit more from being on a pink than a larger money orientated organisation (this is my personal experience/opinion)

Board footer