You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 04-02-09 16:17:04

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Marketing and Social Networks

I've noticed that more and more indy instructors and small businesses are using Facebook and the like to try to reach new customers.

Have any of you tried this? If you have, what has been the response?

If you have any hints or tips please let us all know.

04-02-09 16:17:04

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Marketing and Social Networks

#2 04-02-09 17:03:51

kaf
Verified Member
Website

I started this a few weeks ago.

I have had one recommendation so far, but by far the best bit is it forms another means of communication with pupils.

I put the photos of all the passes on the page.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=38539259047

#3 04-02-09 17:38:40

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

I discoursed at length (as usual  big_smile) about this in the following thread a few weeks ago;
Getting recommendations

Networking and recommendations is only one way in which Social Networking sites are useful. As Kaf says it is another means of comunication with pupils - for us it's second only to text messages as the way pupils like to keep in touch with their instructors.

Here's a link to our Facebook group - Clearway Driver Training Facebook Group

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#4 04-02-09 17:47:18

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for that kaf, it's good that you've got some recommendations coming about because of it.

Lou - I was hoping you'd appear as I've noticed you've got 2 entrys on facebook - is one a page and one a group? If so, what exactly is the difference and how do you use them both?

I'm not looking at this for myself, but for one of the companies I work with to whom client communication is done through other means, so I'm guessing that forming a group would be the better option than creating a page for the company. The main aim is to create a "buzz" and to gain a wider audience for what they do (recreational & fun stuff mainly), something I think facebook would be ideal for.

#5 04-02-09 17:56:05

kaf
Verified Member
Website

You need somebody to be an individual member first.

They then start a 'group' and become the administrator.

They can then appoint other members as admin as well.

The original member can either be somebody like the company secretary, or better still the top bannana.

#6 04-02-09 17:58:11

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Ta Kaf.

When you're building the group, can you keep it under wraps until you want to unleash it, or do you have to just blitz the thing in one go.

I don't like leaving unfinished things hanging around visible to all if I can avoid it.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 04-02-09 18:41:57

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

Thanks for that kaf, it's good that you've got some recommendations coming about because of it.

Lou - I was hoping you'd appear as I've noticed you've got 2 entrys on facebook - is one a page and one a group? If so, what exactly is the difference and how do you use them both?

Yes, one is a group and the other is a page.

My intention in creating both was to cover as many bases as I could and incorporate both of the phrases "driving lessons in....." and "learn to drive in....." for the Facebook search facility.

I had envisaged the pupils joining the group and any others (parents etc) joining the Fan page and that's more or less how it's turned out (but with some very keen people joining both!) - but as you can see it's the group that has mega amounts of members and I suspect that's due to the nature of the business we're in  8-)

You can promote the page with Facebook adverts, but you can't do that with the group. I haven't done this so I can't tell you any more about that aspect - sorry  sad

You can keep both "under wraps" while you create them in 2 ways as I remember;
1) Restrict access (can't remember how you do that for a page, but for groups you make the group either "closed" or "secret" and then change it to "open" when you're ready)
2) Don't invite anyone to join until you're ready!

Other than that, as Kaf says, whoever creates the group or page has to be a Facebook member - they then do the creating and from then on they can appoint others to help out as administrators/officers etc.

Shout if you need any more info and I'll wrack my poor old brain cell a bit more  big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 04-02-09 19:01:35

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

I had envisaged the pupils joining the group and any others (parents etc) joining the Fan page and that's more or less how it's turned out (but with some very keen people joining both!) - but as you can see it's the group that has mega amounts of members and I suspect that's due to the nature of the business we're in  8-)

Thanks loads for that Lou - though I'm still a little confused with the difference between the two - I kind of understand the groups - they're like an etherial "club" that people join and get updated from, but I don't know how the pages work - do they work pretty much like an individual - almost like a person?

How do both of them communicate? If you post something new, do they both send updates to all members/fans?

Apologies for the questions, but though being a complete facebook addict personally I have no real idea how to utilise it professionally. I also intensely dislike the badly made groups and pages that get posted, which just make me think they're run by amateurs.

Ta for the help both of you. If anyone else can chuck anything into the mix, please do.

#9 04-02-09 21:00:09

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

I'd describe a page more as an "entity" than an individual, because you can appoint administrators, all of whom can have input into the content and perform administrative functions.

With pages, you can post items to the page itself e.g , reviews, wall posts, discussion board or notes, or communicate directly to all members by creating events and updates.

You can also directly feed an associated blog into the page.

The pages also provide you with some general statistical information about who has viewed the page - such as number of visitors, gender, age group etc.

Groups are rather more "WYSIWYG" and communication options are more basic - restricted to wall or discussion board or direct messages to all or selected members.

Both groups and pages allow posting of videos and photographs.

My friend uses a page very effectively to market and promote his band.

As to whether a group or a page is more effective, I imagine it depends what type of product/service you are trying to promote and what your target audience is.

For a driving school, I'd definitely say a group seems to work very well...I don't utilise or have much need for a lot of the features incorporated into the page, so as yet, I haven't found all that much to do with it...I just have it because it's there and I can...and I'm sure I'll find a use for it in the fullness of time  big_smile

#10 04-02-09 21:04:34

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Excellent Lou, thanks again.

As we're looking at using this quite proactively (though hopefully with a light enough touch that it is interesting), it may be worth going down the page route.

Why do you reckon that the group has been so much more successful at attracting people than the page though?

#11 04-02-09 21:22:29

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

It's much easier to invite people to join the group than it is to invite people to become a fan via a page.

The group set up allows you to invite others via the group page itself...to become a fan, people either have to find you and join or you have to individually invite them by sending them a message telling them that you have a page and asking if they would like to join.

The group took off for us as the instructors were able to add their pupils as friends and then invite them to the group. From there, group members invited their own friends and it snowballed from then on.

I also think that people tend to belong to several groups and so an invite to another one is considered fairly normal, whereas becoming a fan via a page is a bit different.

I felt it was OTT to invite people to both the group and the page, so just made people generally aware of the existence of the page and then left it up to them.

As I said, the page does allow you to view visitor stats so you can see whether or not people are finding it and looking at it even though they are not members. We have only a handful of actual fans, yet we have a steady stream of people viewing the page. I've yet to be able to say that I have obtained any pupils directly due to the page, but that's not to say that I never will...it costs nothing apart from the time taken to set it up and it's worth a punt  tongue

The function of a group and a page is different - why not try both and see which one suits your purpose best  :angel:

#12 04-02-09 21:24:29

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

#13 13-03-09 16:15:32

Target
Verified Member
Website

A rumour was brought to my attention recently so I thought Id check.

I have found facebook entrys for local driving examiners and the rumour was that some pupils (one in this case) had followed up details of a driving examiner online.

Could be interesting!

Most dont write their full names now on the DL25.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

Board footer