You are not logged in.

#1 30-01-09 12:29:26

lucy_mitchell

one slight problem ONLY

Hello
I have a silly problem with parking forward into bays. at my test place there are bays and i could do reverse parking fine, find it quite easy. but when i come in to park forward i always end up with alot more space on one side and sometimes too close to the other learner car.and i never know if im straight. mostly there are other learner driver cars there and i park in between with the problem that happens as above. can anyone help on this,or is it just me.also if the bays are empty i turn in when i can see the bay but as im going forward i never know if im in the bay of off it. any help at all if possible on this would be great. all other aspects of my driving i find okay.
also when going into bays forward, i press down clutch and on press brake while im going in as im in 1 st gear. is this right way?
thanks.......

30-01-09 12:29:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: one slight problem ONLY

#2 30-01-09 13:41:28

driverpete
Verified Member

Hi Lucy. You aren't alone; there are some of us been driving for 40-odd years and still get it wrong. As far as getting central in a bay is concerned there is really no substitute for practice. Each time you get it less than perfect think about what you did to get it there and what you need to do to improve it (more left, more right, etc) and then immediately try again. Try approaching the bay from a wider angle so you get a better view and come in straighter.

As you are moving really slowly your technique of clutch down and use the brake is spot on.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#3 30-01-09 18:05:03

Makem Drive
Verified Member

Hi

I don't have a problem with positioning when driving into a bay. Not because I'm an absolutely brilliant driver, it's because I don't do it. I always reverse major to minor so than means I reverse into bays.
When I say I don't do I tell a little white lie. I do drive through one bay in to the second if both are clear. That way I'm ready to drive out minor to major.

If you find reverse parking easy then do it every time, after all it IS the safest way to bay park (you do not have to reverse out in to an area where there could be people or cars moving about).

If you must drive in then practice as Pete says. Try approaching further from the bay, slow speed & use quick steering both on & off. I often see people get it well wrong & many of then are moving quite fast for the situation.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 30-01-09 19:12:30

KevB
Verified Member
Website

How do you position to turn right at a junction?

where does the centre of the road seem to line up on your car as you approach a right turn position?

Try using this reference as you approach your bay, lining up the right hand bay line as if it was the centre of the road, when turning right.

(typically, this is probably somewhere between the dash dials console/cowling and corner of the window).

Board footer