You are not logged in.

#1 29-01-09 13:25:45

BroomBroom

Unsure of when to change gears when approaching junction

Junction or round abouts, I know that I have to change gear when approaching them (usually) but am unsure when  neutral

If I'm honest the whole pedal things sometimes confuse me too, I know that my feet know how to slow/speed up the car and use the clutch, but I'm not entirely sure my brain does....if that makes sense?

An old instructor once sat down and spoke to me about the "mechanics of the engine" and how all the pedals worked and to this day even after trying to read up about it numerous times I still don't understand what it means. My feet just know that if you do "this" you go slow and if you do "that" you speed up.

29-01-09 13:25:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Unsure of when to change gears when approaching junction

#2 29-01-09 14:06:18

Makem Drive
Verified Member

Don't worry about the mechanics of the engine or how the pedals work. A very basic knowledge is all that is required. When I learned to drive with an instructor I knew more than him as to how the clutch, brake & accelerator worked (I was a mechanic & had fitted a new clutch in his L-car a few weeks before).

Footwork does come natural in the end (usually) & it happens without thinking about it. This allows you to fully concentrate on the situation. I was in a sport where I had a problem turning right, I asked several people how they turned right & most didn't know, they just did when they needed to. One took 5 mins to work out what he did.

When to change is another matter & there is no 'cut & dried' answer of what gear & when, every situation is different. If it feels wrong then it probably is.

Are you still a learner? If so talk to your instructor, if not consider a few lessons (possibly pass plus) with another instructor.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 29-01-09 14:54:52

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Very basic guide to cover most situations. Sorry if this seems too basic or simplistic, but am writing it to possibly help those that have less experience than you as well, but are afraid to ask. Plus sometimes thinking about things more simply helps.

When approaching a junction or roundabout you normally have to slow (not always of course) so right foot comes off gas and goes on brake. At this point left foot does nothing (although if you use a foot rest to left of clutch or place your foot on floor in front of clutch) you can if you want move it to cover the clutch ready for any gear change you are going to make. But you should not actually depress the clutch at all at this point.

Once speed is down change gear, work on the rough guide, stopping or way below 10mph 1st gear. 10 - 20 2nd gear. 20 - 30 3rd gear. The simple rule to follow is bring the speed down then bring the gear down to match the new speed. Quite often you will find yourself braking through the gear change. For instance if your slowing down to say 15mph and selecting 2nd gear, as your speed drops below 20 you would depress the clutch whilst maintaining light pressure on the brake, once the gear is engaged, as the clutch eases back up, you would be coming off the brake and touching the gas back on to go again.

I quite often get pupils who think there is a specific distance from a junction when the should change gear, it's more a matter of just matching gear to speed.

Sorry again if it seems too basic an explanation for your level of experience.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#4 29-01-09 16:29:08

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Think about when you change up the gears....you know when to do it by the feel/sound of the car as it increases speed....then apply that way of thinking/feeling as you slow...you'll soon get the feel of it as you do when you go up the gears, but this time your doing it the other way, and changing down as the car slows.

Board footer