You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 29-01-09 03:45:39

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

Part 2 test - Motorway driving.

Hi all,

I take my Part 2 in a week or so, I'm happy with the way my training has gone, everything seems to be in place. I have, however, one question.

During the Duel Carriageway/Motorway drive as part of the test - what happens if, speaking hypothetically, I join the main carriageway and I'm straight in behind a lorry doing, say 50 - 60 mph. Obviously you want to make progress, so I'll look to overtake, but what if the outside lane is busy and there isn't a safe gap for me to move into. Do I pop on a right indicater and wait for someone to let me out? Or sit patiently until a gap in the traffic appears? If the latter, what if the outside lane is chocker block, and I'm behind the lorry doing 50 - 60 mph for the whole part of the motorway drive. I don't want the SE marking me down on progress, but at the same time, is indicating and relying on others reactions the right thing to do? :?

http://chriseddydrivertuition.yolasite.com/

DSA ADI operating in Gateshead, Tyne & Wear and surrounding areas.

29-01-09 03:45:39

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 2 test - Motorway driving.

#2 29-01-09 09:36:06

Makem Drive
Verified Member

I would be interested to hear what other think of this situation.

My personal take on this is that if the lane 2 traffic is moving at 70 and there is no safe gap to move into then I would have to remain in lane 1. I would have thought that SE would have to accept that & not mark down. As for indicating & waiting for someone to let me move out, is this not technically wrong as a signal means 'I intend to turn/move to right/left' (or so I have been led to believe) not 'I want to turn/move to right/left, please let me'.

I do indicate as a request, when necessary, in my normal driving but would like to know the official 'take' on this.

#3 29-01-09 11:49:21

kte

Hi,
Not sure if it helps but my instructor told me that if the road you want to move into is busy when needing to pull out then indicate so someone should let you in, however this was just in busy town centre trying to get out of parking bay, not on motorway! I'd like to know what should be done too..

#4 29-01-09 12:08:49

ExAdiNigel

Go into commentary mode and explain what you are doing and why.  Say what other options you have considered and why you may have rejected them.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#5 29-01-09 12:47:11

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

When you join D/C or M/Way, you should be given some indication of how long you will be on for. For example "In order for you to plan your journey, we will be coming off at the next exit in 2 miles"

If not ASK.

This will help with the decision. Also consider what is in front of the HGV, is there a gap to come into, or will you be going past several vehicles.

If the other lane is "chocker block" do you have a SAFE gap to move into whilst keep the proper distance from the vehicle which will be in front of you?

Having said that, you should be showing a level of skill above that of an average driver.

Too many if's and but's I'm afraid. A yes /no answer to use of the indicator needs a more specific scenario.

Having said that, you should be showing a level of skill above that of an average driver

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#6 29-01-09 13:06:07

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
My advice;do what you would do if you were in a hurry[safely];as an advanced driver you should have no problems developing a gap.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#7 29-01-09 13:46:00

Makem Drive
Verified Member

It's not hard to show a level of skill higher than the average driver (judging from the average drivers I see that is). For the average driver a 2 second gap means room for 2 cars to move in to without signalling.

Often I find that in front a a HGV going at 60mph is a line of traffic all doing 60mph otherwise the HGV would not be doing 60 (I was behind one with a sticker saying 'this vehicle is limited by law to 56mph, or words to that effect, I was doing 70 & just keeping up).

One of the biggest problems of a situation like this is that following traffic 'get the gap' before you do.

I would normally signal (indicator AND right of lane position) to make it clear that I would like to move out & do so as soon as someone shows they are letting me out. This could be a flash of h-lights or a slight 'hold back'. I would then move out & match speed asap & give a 'thank you' wave.

That is my method of creating/developing a gap but how would a SE react?

Even in very heavy traffic you get some good drivers who allow space for these situations or will 'hold off' a little if they see one develop. Also if lane 2 is 'chocker' then the chances of there being a gap in front of the HGV is reduced meaning that to overtake could create the problem of getting back in.

You know in part 2 you time is limited so won't be on DC too long. If the same situation occurred when driving in an area unknown to you 7 you knew that you would be turning off the DC quite soon, would you take the chance of getting stuck in lane 2?

My method 'works for me' but is it acceptable to the DSA?

#8 29-01-09 20:08:16

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
It is not that difficult to manufacture a safe gap if you leave yourself enough room to accelerate to the same speed as lane 2;even if it is not a 2 second gap;it is extremely difficult to join in,if you get too slow and everything is going by too close together and much faster.
Plan early,leave yourself some room in front and dont hesitate to move out as soon as it is safe.
Sometimes on part 2 you are so busy worrying about'how will i get back in'that the brain freezes and hesitations occur.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#9 29-01-09 21:18:50

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

Many thanks for the feedback guys. Great posts and I really appreciate your advice. Makem, I'm from Gateshead, taking my test at Dunston, I reckon the SE will have me on the A1 around team valley, often gets congested round there - hence the initial question.

#10 29-01-09 21:32:19

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi Eddlad
I live in Morpeth and work in the Toon;often use the A1 past the metrocentre and teams.
Good luck.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 29-01-09 21:57:10

Makem Drive
Verified Member

I reckon the SE will have me on the A1 around team valley

I know what you mean, get there at the right time and your laughing, at the wrong time and it's wacky races (or worse).

Pray you are not there at the wrong time with PST overtaking etc.   lol

ps. whoever said that that road should be 2 lanes needs their bumps felt. Three is minimum & four could just be enough. Metro slip needed to be 2 lanes for it's full length & same again for the southbound on slip.

#12 30-01-09 00:30:38

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

Cheers lads, I know what you mean big_smile

Test is at 14.20 on a monday, hopefully I'll be all right eh?

Board footer