You are not logged in.

#1 27-01-09 23:57:08

Miss207

Fed Up!

I need some advice, I am getting extremely fed up with driving...

I have had 44 hours and feel like I'm being held back. I dont mean to complain but I'm losing the enthusiasm to continue and feel like I need to change my instructor but feel so bad about doing that. But I think I need to. I feel like the small mistakes are being dramatised and I keep hearing huffing and puffing and as soon as I start getting down about it ( my instructor can obviously see by this point) she starts saying oh but your doing well etc.. too many mixed messages, I feeling very demotivated and slowly losing confidence whereas in the begginning I was so full of confidence. Its almost like if I am not making mistakes shes is bored and when I do its dramatised... really sorry to bang on but need to get this off my chest...

Before I start actually hating learning to drive, I think I need to change!

I would like to do an intensive course.

Please advice.

Thanks

P.s. I hardly ever complain or moan...lol

27-01-09 23:57:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Fed Up!

#2 28-01-09 00:08:19

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Sorry you feel demotivated;why not book an assessment drive with another instructor before you jump ship.
Or have a heart to heart with your present instructor,after all,you are the customer.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 28-01-09 00:17:24

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

In order for pupils to learn there has to be a certain rapport between instructor and pupil, a mutual respect for each other. They don't necessarily have to be best friends but they do have to work TOGETHER.  If that has gone, then pehaps you should change.

You may want to discuss your feelings with your present instructor before deciding, she may not be aware of how you feel. But if your relationship has gone so far that you feel you can't do that then, at the end of the day, your paying.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#4 28-01-09 06:25:46

ExAdiNigel

If you feel it is time to change instructors then do so.  You shouldn't feel bad about it - easy to say I know!

As an interim solution, why not ask your instructor if she could arrange a mock test with another instructor to see how close you are to test standard?

Where are you based?   There may be someone on here who could help you out with an intensive.  I could if you're not too far from Swindon or fancy travelling to Swindon.

Good luck

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#5 28-01-09 07:11:49

RJHGT
Verified Member
Website

I would agree with all the above, if your not happy, book an assessment with someone else! I am in Congleton Cheshire, if thats anywhere near you?
Good luck in what you decide to do smile

Driver & Rider Training Centre www.rjhgroup.co.uk ADI Approved Driving Instructor Grade 5 (Car) DAS Direct Access Scheme Instructor (Motorcycle) DSA Driving Standards Agency- ATB Authorised Training Body (Motorcycle) RPMT Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainer

#6 28-01-09 21:37:56

evondoll
Verified Member
Website

I think changing instructor would depend on what stage your at. If your at test standard and just waiting on your test date maybe the instructor is just being harsh on your faults as she wants you to do the best that you can on your test.
Although probably you wouldn't be talking of changing instructors if you had a test booked.

Hope everything works out for you,
Evon x

#7 29-01-09 13:17:02

BroomBroom

There's nothing worse than being with the wrong instructor.....well, famine and the AIDS crisis in Africa perhaps, but you get my point...

I think some instructors aren't really 'people' people, if that makes sense. My old one used to bark random things at me and expect me to know what it meant.

"Clutch!" - and there was I thinking "more or less?", if I misunderstood I'd be told to pull over and informed of how he has taught for twenty-five years and how wonderfully marvellous I was to have the opportunity to pay him £40 a week for a two hour driving lesson.

A change in instructor can do you the world of good. Find yourself someone who makes you feel relaxed like I have, no good being in a car with someone who just winds you up as it's neither economical if you're not progressing and not very safe either.

#8 14-02-09 17:06:16

koolchick

Have an assessment lesson with another ADI and see how you feel. Some ADIs only let you drive in certain areas like test routes others will let you drive anywhere that you can get to in the time of lesson. My 1st ADI only ever did the area I lived in and round test centre which was ok but similar each lesson and didn't talk much apart from giving directions.I thought she was ok but eventually changed ADI and my 2nd one was totally different on my 1st lesson he just let me get on with it and had good chat while I was driving it didn't feel like a lesson at all apart from being told where to go he didn't tell me a single thing about how to drive as I had had enough lessons to know that is. I know I didn't check mirrors any where near enough and made a few other mistakes but my ADI could see I knew what to do so left me to it and I enjoyed it. This ADI took me different routes and one lesson he just decided to ask if I wanted to drive on tramlines in the next town so I said yes tho it wasn't a test route it was still experience. Also he got me on dual carriageways up to 70mph which I'd only ever done 50mph with my 1st ADI. So definatly change ADI if you feel you are being held back you will enjoy lessons more if you get to do more.

#9 14-02-09 19:38:02

scannermanh
Verified Member

Ask yourself at the end of each lesson
1 Did I learn enough?
2 Did I enjoy the lesson?
You may make mistakes or not achieve a skill
but your instructor should be able to tell you ,explain
why they are happening ,how to achieve the right
result, without making you feel a failure, then help you
get it right then larf about it afterwards.
If I dont get a positive to the first 2 questions, they get
their money back. Never had to do it yet.
I cover SE London, if thats where you are.

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#10 14-02-09 19:48:15

evanadi

Do you have a syllabus which your instructor marks every lesson?
May seem a strange question, but if you do have one you should be able to plot your progress.
If there are areas that you are weak on, then the two of you should be working on them, and you should see some progress by the end of the lesson. Just telling someone they are doing good, is not good enough, you as a pupil need to see your progress plotted (record card) showing this progress.

Huffing and puffing...........why? She is being paid to instruct you, and you have L's somewhere on the car which means you are a learner and expected to make mistakes.

Last but not least, maybe you are at what we call a plateau stage in your learning, where you have learned a lot but seem not to be moving on, quite common in most pupils. You need to sit and have a chat with your instructor, and see where you are going, and see what she has planned for the future lessons, sometimes you can fall from the frying pan into the fire. If you are not happy then, make a move.

There is an old saying ''If you can give your child only one gift, let it be encouragement''. This is so true whenever you are teaching people a skill. Ev

Board footer