You are not logged in.

#1 16-01-09 18:44:09

SnaxMuppet

Starting Part 3 training Monday

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would say hi as I am starting my part 3 training on Monday and I am looking forward to sharing with you all my experiences as they evolve in the same way you have shared with everyone else. It is partly through reading about you all that I am pushing ahead with it now so thank you everyone.  smile

I have decided to train PAYG with John Curtin of Roadcraft in Plymouth. I had an assessment with him today and he seems like a great choice. He does some of the part 3 training first and mixes in part 1 & 2 at appropriate places on the basis that part 1 & 2 knowledge is gained through part 3 training and as the 2 years starts as soon as part 1 is passed he likes to get his students to take part 1 quite a way into the part 3 training. I am sure that this is not without its controversy but I really like the idea of part 3 training early... if I don't like it I can bomb out without it costing me for the part 1 & 2.

More news as my training progresses.

16-01-09 18:44:09

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Starting Part 3 training Monday

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 16-01-09 18:53:23

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Good Luck & Enjoy  smile

#3 16-01-09 22:17:17

scannermanh
Verified Member

What crossed my mind about his method, is how can
he teach you, how to teach a subject, that you may
need to learn and practice yourself.
I'm not saying his method doesn't work but it sounds
very disjointed.
Imagine he's teaching you a skill like juggling, he can show
you, you may know the theory, but you're not going to be
able to teach it yourself without being able to do it yourself.
Most people find pts1&2 no problem, some even achieve
the passes with little cost and little time, in my case 4 months,
the struggle people seem to find is part3 and this could take all
you've got to achieve. I personally would not have wanted to be
doing pt1&2 training while tackling the difficulties of pt3.
Best of luck anyway and I hope it works for you.

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#4 17-01-09 00:08:40

Louisa
Verified Member

Hi Snaxmuppet

The earlier you get your head around part 3 the better in my opinion.... its the hardest bit but although part 1 and 2 are the foundations, they dont teach you how to teach/instruct pupils... which i why i agree with your trainer.
Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Louisa  smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PXGn42tCbc

This is what qualifying as an ADI makes you do!!! smile yes its me smile

www.drivingschoolsloughborough.com

#5 18-01-09 11:45:26

mrbrightside
Verified Member

I would've thought that you need to be able to do things and know the required standard to do things yourself before you can teach other people how to do it. During my part 3 training I would constantly ask myself what I would've done for my part 2... if your "student" does the same as you would've done then you know they were correct. Just my way of checking some things I suppose.

My instructor had done it the other way really. I passed P1 very quickly on my own. Then started P2 training to get my own driving up to standard. But my instructor would also throw in elements of P3 such as Q & A, and common mistakes made etc. while I was doing P3. By the time I actually came to P3 (which wasn't very long) I'd already got some knowledge of what to do.

Doing things in reverse seems a bit awkward to me.

Have you spoke to anyone else that he's trained? How many people has he trained in the past? What is his pass rate? Is he ORDIT registered?

These kind of questions can give you an idea of how successful his method is.

Good luck anyway!

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

#6 18-01-09 12:14:07

mrbrightside
Verified Member

No, you're right part 2 isn't a big deal and that's why most people can get through it in a very short time.

Im quite curious about this method now. How does he actually do it..... Are you sat on the passenger side with your instructor roleplaying the student and from this you're essentially doing P3. At the same time you're watching his driving (minus the errors) to learn P2. Or do you get in the driving seat and practice P2 yourself (which I presume you do). I struggle to get my head around it, but then again, it is me :-S

I have to respectfully disagree on the sensible part though. Sensible to me is doing things in order, not backwards.

Like you say though, he must be doing something right. Does he say how long it takes him to train someone (on average)?

#7 18-01-09 13:19:30

mrbrightside
Verified Member

I understand much better know. I'd obviously read your initial posts wrong and didn't quite understand what you meant.

Now it seems much more logical. And he's right P1 doesn't really need any instruction (I did it on my own for about £20 in materials). P2 is fairly quick, and is easy to incorporate P3 into it once youve had a little practice at P2.

Thanks for clearing that up and good luck with your training.

Board footer