You are not logged in.

#1 15-01-09 22:04:12

baggie13
Website

Taxi Training course...

hi all, thinking of doing a taxi training course, anyone else done this or thinking of doing it?

15-01-09 22:04:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Taxi Training course...

#2 02-02-09 09:06:03

ExAdiNigel

What do you see as the benefit of atending such a course?  You are qualified to train taxi drivers already.  Have a quick check through the relevant chapter of DT1 (available on the DSA website) for the finer details.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 03-02-09 12:45:13

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

When people are DATT or whatever do they do some sort of test to get that accreditation, or is being an ADI all that is required?

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#4 03-02-09 18:50:15

Rockin
Verified Member

DIA run accredited courses if your interested and can count towards CPD

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 03-02-09 20:38:25

whodareswins
Verified Member

DIA run accredited courses if your interested and can count towards CPD

1. Accredited by who? Themselves?
2. The CPD is for your personal benefit only. The DSA has NOT approved anything yet.

percy

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#6 03-02-09 23:52:58

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

DATT is DIAmond accredited taxi trainer.

Query is how do they decide to award the accreditation. Do they run some sort of course or test. Or do you just send them a few quid for the certificate. As for being a registered taxi trainer, registered with whom? the local council?

Point being it's not a qualification as such and can hardly be classed as CPD. We're all already qualified as nigel has already pointed out.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#7 04-02-09 20:30:28

Target
Verified Member
Website

It never surprises me how easily people are willing to put something down that they have not had the decency to actually try.

I responded to this thread via the PM system because of the previous posts regarding taxi driver training.

The course is Diamond Accredited, and I doubt very much you could get the same content from reading the DT1, which is for examiners internal use, and definately not the be all and end all that some other members ive read thinking that it is. ( no one here thou - unless your using another alias I dont know of )

Of course Im an Adi, and in theory thus qualified to deliver Parts 1/2/3 training, but would I actually send myself onto the unsuspecting Pdi taking his money for sub-standard tuition. I know of instructors who are prepared to do so and could'nt give a monkeys of the outcome.

However. I could seek further enlightenment and take extra training that would perhaps put my foot through the door, this has worked very well with other sources on income.

I'll leave you guys to it. Im off to have my dinner and watch some TV. Nothing on thou.....

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 04-02-09 20:46:46

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Query is how do they decide to award the accreditation. Do they run some sort of course or test.

Still not answered. Is there a course or test?

It never surprises me how easily people are willing to put something down that they have not had the decency to actually try.

As well as being an ADI, I hold a private hire licence. I could argue that makes me more qualified  big_smile

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#9 06-02-09 18:28:31

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

I asked the DIA for info on the taxi courses, but it never arrived.

LA

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#10 09-02-09 06:16:21

ExAdiNigel

They keep sending me the info (had about 3 or 4 mailings now!).

Keith,

I wouldn't say that I am putting the course down - I haven't been on it so I can't do that.  What I am doing is questioning the need to spend such a high amount on a course that gives you information that is very readily available to every ADI.

No one has yet given me a good reason to go on this course.  What did you gain that isn't readily available in DT1 and you didn't already know from being an ADI?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#11 09-02-09 22:26:59

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Believe it's about the £300 mark for the DIA course. One day course as far as I know. Not entirely sure as seems to be some sort of national secret  big_smile

Anyway going on this course run by DIA gives one DATT. So in house course, no test or anything. Not like passing one of the advanced driving tests, not like doing Dip DI or various other qualifications that all have some form of test involved. I wonder how this is seen as a qualification? Maybe it's an interpretation thing.

I just personally don't see any value in it other than wanting to bung a few more letters after your name. Ah well each to their own.

By the way baggie, if you want to get into taxi training (and more and more councils are looking at introducing it) It will impress the taxi companies more if you can tell them you have taken the taxi test.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#12 09-02-09 22:32:28

evanadi

It will impress the taxi companies more if you can tell them you have taken the taxi test.

What driven a car whilst eating a pasty, and talking on a mobile phone...........Sorry Tony only joking :afro:

#13 09-02-09 22:50:00

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Don't forget to moan about BLEEP!!! learner drivers through mouthfuls of the pasty as well  big_smile big_smile big_smile

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#14 11-02-09 08:45:48

jonnmedds
Verified Member

I to have looked into this line of work, i'd like to be ready for when our council bring this test in(if at all).
As said in a previous post i've come to the conclusion that the best way to prepare drivers for this test is to take it myself. Surely if I can prepare drivers for the RoSPA test I should be ok with the taxi test or am I being daft  neutral

I'm all for CPD but it needs to be a course that will pay for itself and unless the DIA course is accreditted by a taxi organisation or DSA then I cant see it offering anymore than my fleet course did and my fleet course has paid for itself time and time again, not sure the DIA one will.

Jon

#15 11-02-09 12:54:06

johnnyfr
Verified Member
Website

I've said on here and other places before that the DIA course is fairly pointless unless your local councils actually test their taxi drivers.

In my opinion it is also fairly expensive at £275 last year for a one day classroom only course.

Yes, it counts towards CPD but in my opinion again, you would be much better off doing a 5 day fleet course at much less than 5 times the price.

However, if your council does employ taxi testing and there is local demand, I'm sure you could use it as an extra revenue stream - but it isn't going to buy you that villa in Spain.

Also, in my experience, 50 year old men becoming taxi drivers don't really want to spend too much time or money with a driving instructor when they've been driving for 30 years. Even if they have already failed the DSA Taxi Test.

I am open to disagreement with my comments but having done the course and the training, that is my honest opinion.

DSA ADI (car) -- DSA Fleet Driver Trainer [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk/grade6adi.php]Grade 6[/URL] -- ORDIT Registered Trainer
Level 4 PTLLS, Rospa Gold, NVQ Level 3 Driving Instruction, A1 Assessors Award, [URL=http://www.brake.org.uk]Brake[/URL] Road Safety Ambassador, DIA Taxi Trainer.
Visit us for [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk]Driving Lessons[/URL] or [URL=http://www.accufleet.co.uk]Fleet Driver Training[/URL]

#16 11-02-09 19:38:36

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

Is it only the DIA that conduct this course or are there any other providers?

#17 11-02-09 20:11:47

johnnyfr
Verified Member
Website

It's the DIA's course only but there wouldn't be any harm someone else setting up to deliver it!

The DIA will claim that they're trying to encourage councils to not only test their taxi drivers, but to forget the DSA test and use the DIA taxi test. They don't seem to have had much success with that so far. Strangely.

DSA ADI (car) -- DSA Fleet Driver Trainer [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk/grade6adi.php]Grade 6[/URL] -- ORDIT Registered Trainer
Level 4 PTLLS, Rospa Gold, NVQ Level 3 Driving Instruction, A1 Assessors Award, [URL=http://www.brake.org.uk]Brake[/URL] Road Safety Ambassador, DIA Taxi Trainer.
Visit us for [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk]Driving Lessons[/URL] or [URL=http://www.accufleet.co.uk]Fleet Driver Training[/URL]

#18 28-05-09 18:04:03

keja33
Verified Member

Am i correct in thinking that the DSA conduct the taxi tests  ?

#19 28-05-09 18:13:01

johnnyfr
Verified Member
Website

Yes.
But the DIA are going to as well.

#20 28-05-09 20:08:35

Disky
Verified Member
Website

Yes.
But the DIA are going to as well.

correct, but a DATT will not be able to conduct the test as far as i have been told, they are mearly trainers, not examiners.

#21 28-05-09 21:38:25

copsecavaliers
Verified Member
Website

Here's a question if they fail the DSA taxi test are they legally able to continue to charge for fare's?

Alex

#22 28-05-09 22:36:49

Peter_Cary
Verified Member
Website

It a test that only newly qualifying taxi drivers have to take, so they won't be charging fares anyway, but also precludes them from using "taxi and bus lanes" whilst on training AND on test.  :?

My experience is all would fail quite hopelessly if not had some training, but not too difficult to bring up to speed.

What does passing the taxi test prove?

Nothing IMHO, after all it's just a normal driving test that most of my clients pass with 5 faults or less. Far better for the the council to insist that drivers had two hours Fleet Trainers coaching report for the same money, updated when the licence is renewed which would get the drivers to take training seriously with the obvious improvement in safety for their passengers.

Board footer