You are not logged in.

#1 17-03-05 20:35:15

charter21

Are you training for Part 3 in Woodford Essex

I have just started my Part 3 training, and whilst I believe that I can learn the briefings I have no one (except the wife!!) to practice the Set lessons with.
Is there anyone who lives in the area who is also training for Part 3 and would like to practice the set lessons.  If so e-mail me at Dave@buckwood.freeserve.co.uk

17-03-05 20:35:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Are you training for Part 3 in Woodford Essex

#2 17-03-05 21:03:04

WOOF

Hi Dave
Can't help you with your part 3 practice I'm afraid but can I ask who you are training with?

I live in Chingford and am looking around for an ADI trainer.

Many thanks!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 17-03-05 21:12:41

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Dave,

Whoever you find to be your trainer, try to make sure they teach you how to teach!

The briefings and PST's have some value but it's not all you need to do by a long way.

Good luck and regards,

#4 18-03-05 18:40:54

charter21

I bought my training on e-bay from someone else who couldnt do the course and I therefore didnt worry too much on who the course was with.  My trainer is LetsDrive 

My view is that I didnt pay a great deal and I will decide what extras I need once I have finished the package. I will probably then be a bit more choosy if I am paying full price.

#5 18-03-05 19:12:40

Nimrod

sad  sad  sad  sad  sad  sad  sad

#6 18-03-05 22:14:53

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Interesting move!

Did Let's Drive actually agree to that and is the course assignable?

We'd love to know.

Regards,

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 18-03-05 23:18:42

firehydrant

Nimrod wrote:

sad  sad  sad  sad  sad  sad  sad

What's that in aid of smile

What this guy has done has nothing to do with Lets Drive or how good/bad people think they are. And may I suggest that this doesn't turn into such? wink

By the sounds of it he's bought the coloured pictures and work book and nothing else (i.e. no instructor time). If that's true he needs sensible advice on what to do. smile

Thinking about it: even if he hasn't, he needs sensible advice on what to do - not judgments about Lets Drive smile

#8 19-03-05 02:34:14

Nimrod

Oooooooooooo!!!

Firehydrant,  we ARE touchy - aren't we??

I am absolutely amazed that you can read so much into a few emoticons yikes  yikes

I didn't say anything about anybody.  However, there are a lot of these "courses" being auctioned on ebay and bigred has raised an interesting point. Some of the asking prices would suggest that more than books are being auctioned.

BTW, I have no axe to grind with Lets Drive.

Nim

#9 19-03-05 02:51:29

firehydrant

No worries smile

I just think that this chap is going to need good advice whatever it is he's bought if he wants to be an ADI.

As you and Big Red have implied, there are a lot of potential issues to do with copyright etc.. But Lets Drive are not in the frame on this - they probably don't know about it. And they might want to - after all, it could drag their name through the mud wink

#10 19-03-05 08:00:11

bigred
Verified Member
Website

On reading the post again, it does look more like it's only the written/media element of the training, but I'd like to make sure people aren't buying actual part 2 or 3 training without the assent of LD.

This is not a criticism of LD, but they will have their part to play in this to ensure people get what they pay for.

There have too many people lose good money over the years for any of us just to sit back and watch from a distance.

Regards,

#11 19-03-05 09:48:26

Anonymous

So, what you are saying, BR, is that a guy may end up training to be an ADI by buying this stuff on E-Bay, maybe include training in the price and by-pass the interview stage?  Not that the interview stage with some organisations is very fact finding at all, 2 arms & legs, £3k etc.

If ever the selection process tightens up and I mean properly tighten up, then obviously, selling courses on to others should become a thing of the past.

How did this industry get into such a mess?  Lack of regulation in training and exploitation of the greedy and gullible I suppose.

Wessex.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 19-03-05 10:18:42

firehydrant

Wessex wrote:

So, what you are saying, BR, is that a guy may end up training to be an ADI by buying this stuff on E-Bay, maybe include training .

Just remember that there is absolutely no indication that training has been included. Everything the poster said suggests that it hasn't.

I happen to know for a fact that Lets Drive do interview and apply selection procedures. I'm pretty sure if they get to hear about this they'll be livid. So I see no reason to discuss it as if the training has also been sold - at the very least that will give people the impression that Lets Drive are bad.

I'm noticing an increase in comments stating that 'so-and-so' driving school is crap, for some direct or indirect reason, and that does not make ADIs look professional. I wonder if people know they're doing it?

#13 19-03-05 10:27:12

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Wessex,

You're right the interview stage isn't always as it should be. But if I was LD I really would not want to give 'unlimited' training to some one else after the original candidate has dropped out, for whatever reason.

The 'mess' as you rightly call needs sorting out urgently, There are some excellent training companies that cannot succeed because of the many rubbish ones. Unfortunatley, it's hard to find out which is which until after you've paid your money!

It also puts a lot of risk on the candidate - They may well be unsuitable or they may be given 2nd or 3rd rate training.

Regards,

#14 19-03-05 10:56:24

Anonymous

I think it is in our human nature.  Survival of the fittest.

Independents will always put two fingers up to the big organisations who are flooding the industry with PDIs, Learners teaching Learners.  It's the David and Goliath similarity.

It is also human nature to defend one's belief, whether it's right or wrong.  You will very rearely admit in public you're wrong.

Therefore there will always be an element of underming the rivals.  A chink in the armour will be exploited.

To bury your head in the sand and to imagine everything in the garden is rosy is plain commercial suicide.

If tales of impropriety are to be told then a certain amount of anonymity should prevail, but when I found out that a certain instructor, from the second largest school in Britain, in the Slaisbury/Southampton sector was selling Pass Plus for £60 for a couple of hours up the M27 don't you think that others should know about it?  Or should I keep quiet because nobody likes a grass?

Being an independent there's me & me.  Belonging to the AA or BSM schools then if one of your colleagues is verbally attacked there is an  immediately desire to jump to their defense or the defense of the school to that honour because no one likes to admit that their choice is a bad one and woe betide anyone that questions that choice.

Wessex.Referrances to you or you're etc are not aimed at anyone there just illustative of the text.

#15 19-03-05 11:06:36

Anonymous

Hi BR, it took so long to compose the above, in reply to Firehydrant, that you got one in between.  So it was firehydrant that triggered the reply.

It is not the training companies fault that they have exploited a loophole.  It is the governing body that has been slow to address the problem caused by flooding the industry with PDIs.  I know some PDIs go on to make excellent instructors but what of those that have taught but not passed themselves and fallen by the wayside?  Do these new qualified drivers that were taught by them form part of the statistics that have certain people in authority blaming ADIs collectively for the horrific accidents that take place daily on our roads?

You're right BR, it is a mess, a !!!!!!!! mess and there needs to be a ground swell from the ADIs themselves to begin to address this anomaly right now.

I firmly believe that teaching a learner to drive, whilst going part way to helping with core competancies, does not prepare the pdi for the half hour onslaught that the SE will wreek upon you.  There must be a better, more structured way to teach pdis than this.  It's time it happened.

Wessex.

#16 19-03-05 11:06:51

firehydrant

bigred wrote:

Hi Wessex,

You're right the interview stage isn't always as it should be. But if I was LD I really would not want to give 'unlimited' training to some one else after the original candidate has dropped out, for whatever reason.,

Big Red, I can see you're ignoring me, but I really think you should confirm that training HAS been transferred before talking as though it has.

I know it can be advantageous to talk down other companies, but if we're going to speculate then it is far more likely that Lets Drive know nothing of this than it is that they have sanctioned it. Therefore, any talk about what it would mean if they HAD sanctioned it can only have an ulterior motive.

The sale is probably illegal if only for reasons of copyright - so both Lets Drive and eBay would be interested to hear about it.

#17 19-03-05 11:29:51

ck
Website

With regard to the interview process whilst I can see from a trainers point of view its a good idea so you know how much training they may need etc.
The larger training establishments have a duty to their company and staff to keep the business profitable, and who are they to tell someone that they can't undertake the training?So long as they explain what will be required it should be left to the individual to make thier own mind up,and yes some of them won't make it and will inevitably waste several thousand pounds, but are adults and should be allowed to make thier own decisions.
People are ripped off all the time in all kinds of ways, I know someone who was sold a computer which was far too advanced for his capability and he will never use it to its full he could have spent half the money and still have more than he needs but should the salesman say no you cant have that you're not advanced enough.I know this analogy may not be the best but you get my drift.
I trained with one of the larger establishments who have come in for some stick but I was very happy with the training and passed everything first time the pt3 three with two 5s my training partner also did well and was happy with the training.
This establishment does'nt do an interview as such but gives an assesment drive, but after seeing some of the other pdi's I wonder why I think it would be better to just accept them rather than give the impression that thier driving was of a "standard" only to be told when starting part 2 training that they have no idea.
Another thing to consider is that unless extreemly rigourous regulation was intruduced and enforced if someone has decided this is what they want to do if you dont take thier money someone else will and at least with some courses they will get a reasonble level of training.
So in conclusion I would say it is better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all so let them have a ga if thats what THEY want.

ps I'm not saying this is my ethos but I thought we should have some balance.

ck

#18 19-03-05 18:08:45

ExAdiNigel

Dave, I would recommend you alter your email address on the forum.  The are some undesirables out there that have programs that go through web sites extracting email addresses.  If you want to put your email address in a posting, then insert 'nospam' after the @ sign.  At least then, if someone trawls and picks up your email address you wont receive a pile of cr*p.  Anyone who wants to email you can simply remove the 'no spam' bit.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#19 19-03-05 22:00:40

Anonymous

Hi CK, you're missing the point I was trying to make, or perhaps it wasn't clear.

Whilst I agree that PDIs are adults I am thinking of the poor student that parts with £500 for lessons.  He is given a student or learner PDI who may well be a good driver but is crap at teaching.  When the student's £500 is up and he has not been taught correctly and then has to stump up another £500 only to find his instructor suddenly disappears.  He may well feel aggreived.

Whilst the company may have overheads, they couldn't care less if the student gets a top grade instructor or a crap PDI.

I'm not tarring all the PDIs as crap.  Far from it but there is more to teaching than having the ability to drive well.  This is where the system falls down.

This where I'm coming from.

Wessex.

#20 20-03-05 11:22:50

ck
Website

Hi Wessex,
I take you're point and in principle agree with you though I don't know what the answer is,unless pink's are withdrawn all together.
It would also seem fairer if the driving school informed or asked pupils if they would accept a pdi, but given the choice would you.
I do think a pink can be a good way to hone your skills, though I managed without one.
I just don't know ? Half of me says pinks are bad half says they are good and half says there must be a better way.

ck

#21 21-03-05 16:31:42

nephilim

Half of me says pinks are bad half says they are good and half says there must be a better way

Since when did 3 halfs make a whole  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Board footer