You are not logged in.

#1 04-01-09 14:17:45

rooster
Verified Member

Starting Up - Brand New Green Badge!

I'm coming down a bit now - after the great news that I have eventually qualified!
....... and as I expected, the hard work is actually only just starting.

I haven't even yet decided between Independent or Franchise. Top-Box or pupils own cars!

My further CPD training opportunities, tax affairs, accounts, costs, advertising - etc etc etc are all buzzing around.

Obviously a working profit is a necessity, so how do I price my lessons?
Will the first year be run at a loss, not even taking into account the outlays to date!

Happily I'm not in a headlong rush to get started but I'd like to find out how others have negotiated this stage in their fledgling careers?

Any previous threads or topics, or better still - current thoughts?

04-01-09 14:17:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Starting Up - Brand New Green Badge!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 04-01-09 17:48:38

AlphaBob
Verified Member

Congratulations Rooster its a good feeling when you pass.  I passed Part 3 February 2006. At that stage I already had a car on 7 month lease as a PDI and was with a local driving school.  I was not getting much work from them so changed to another local franchise.  I have been with them just over two years. 

I now feel that I can go out on my own so have given the school 4 weeks notice of my intention to leave. Before I made the decision I looked the amount of pupils I was getting from the school and those through recommendations.  The ratio of pupils was two thirds recommended to one third from the school.

I have not had a pupil from the school since Sept 08.  Why am I telling you all this well....  You have just become an ADI, where are you going to get your pupils from. You will need to become known and build up your reputation so that you get plenty of recommendations, perhaps you already are I don't know.  My advice would be to start will a local school, build up you pupil base and start seeing how many recommends you get.

If most of your pupils are through recommendations and that is sustained over a period of time, why pay a franchise fee to advertise someone else's school. Get you own Top box, logo etc and advertise yourself. 
Well thats a start I'm sure you will get plenty of other advice. 

All the Best Bob     

Whose the Daddy!!!
www.bobsdrivingschool.co.uk

#3 04-01-09 19:25:39

Target
Verified Member
Website

Others will have different opinions, but mine is that if your with a driving school, no matter how independent you feel you are, you are still promoting that school, and whether you have 100% recommendations ( very unlikely depending on areas and local trends ) your still promoting that school.

My point is, new businesses start all the time, and they are very successful. Building a reputation on the scale needed in this profession takes many years. We are selling a service that currently people see their 40-50 hours required to pass the test then off they go. 10% ( if your lucky ) take up pass plus.

For example if you compared Driving Lessons with Golf Lessons, or Horse Riding lessons. Sure not everyone wants golf lessons, but these services are taken on a regular basis, once you have sold the service you tend to get a life long commitment.

Your typical pupil ( I say typical ) does not want to tell their friends they are having lessons, they want to pull up outside the school in their brand new mini and surprise them. They want to be the ones doing it first and not letting others see them taking lessons, not to mention all their friends took 10 hours to pass.

You need to think carefully. Your own personal situation will dictate perhaps the course you take. You will still have alot of learning to do, you could say why not use that time to spoil someone elses business rather than your own wink, but I truely feel if you wait till you build a business under a franchise your be waiting forever.

That does'nt mean to say you should not have a Good business plan.

The benefits of a franchise of course are that all the questions you have asked above have been answered by the franchise, the only question they will not answer is how many pupils they can give you.

At the moment, its all Doom & Gloom, i try not to buy into it, because where im standing it seems that things have always been the same.

p.s When I started my decision was simple. I joined the AA because the franchise and lesson rates were far better than any deal around, and I needed to start earning money as soon as I qualified, I could'nt see a way around working 2 jobs.

Good Luck!

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#4 04-01-09 22:59:45

rooster
Verified Member

Very helpful responses guys - thanks for the thoughts - it gives me a base to work from!

I don't see a lot of optimism in going with a franchise, how can they guarantee enough pupils to even cover the payments? Do any of them contract to supply a minimum or is it a risk that the ADI has to take - I didn't go on a pink because of that very same concern!?

I'm awaiting a response from TIC, who now should offer me a 3 day business course, perhaps they will have some answers.  tongue

#5 05-01-09 07:49:41

Target
Verified Member
Website

You have hit the nail on the head.

I don't know of any franchise that can guarantee work. Of course they have more marketing backup, and they may or may not have that reputation already developed, but if your picking pupils off some schools like I do your realise the rep is near but non existant, and its a rep you do not necessarly want to get involved with.

Some schools will claim to have pupils, and im sure alot do, but are these gathered by cheaper deals, are they the pupils most of us complain or discuss online here, who cancel constantly, who come and go, the ones in those hard to reach areas.

Then again, im sure there are schools that are run very well and have a consistant supply of good quality pupils.

My experience tells me thou, that no one seems to corner the market - not yet anyway. If one schools quite the other is quite, or theres occasions when the tied turns, but it all seems to balance out in the end.

Which ever route you choose setup a business plan, but be prepared for the plan to change and always look forward to the next step.

When I was with the AA I must admit, I never anticipated the franchise being increased by 35%. A very dangerous move by the owners and one im sure looking back they regret making. Alas, i was not prepared and it cost alot of time and money getting things setup on my own.

Good luck!

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#6 05-01-09 10:50:39

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Who did you train through?

The franchise I'm with offered a start-up discount of 4 weeks free, I know the AA were offering a sliding scale over 8weeks starting at a tenner for the first week leading up to full fee after 8. If you have some pupils in the pipeline then these sorts of offers can help. Also, if your franchise know you are going to start in say a months time you will more than likely get a few pupils in that time through them so when you start you don't have a completely empty diary.

As everyone says, noone can guarantee pupils but how can you guarantee getting them yourself?

With regard to advertising your franchise, yes you are but all rcommendations ring me direct not through the call centre. It's your number you need to advertise so get your own business cards and a sticker on your car with your number so people can call you direct.

Pro's and con's both ways. I'm happy with my franchise but purely due to saving money I may well go indy although if the proposed loyalty discounts on fees, extra franchise free weeks etc come into play I will more than likely stay. I can charge more than I would on my own - most indys are £3 an hr less round here - and on 30hrs a week that's nearly 5grand a year.

The decision is yours and yours alone. Good luck!

#7 05-01-09 11:11:52

gday
Verified Member
Website

Rooster their are many debates on this forum from those that say paying a franchise is just thowing money away and Indi is the only route and their is much discussion about which is best. All we can give you as our own personal experience and how that satisfies are own personal life, everybody and their needs are different.

The 1st thing you need to consider is getting customers, how are you going to achieve that. For me the obvious way was a well known Franchise so I started with and am still with the AA.

They do not charge you full franchise fee from week one. The 1st weekly fee is £10, the 2nd weekly fee is the same, yes that's all! No they cannot guarantee you customers but even if they only give you one that 1st week, they have already given you a new car and you are all ready making a profit, very small but a profit non the less. The Large Nationals WILL get customers each week, they have just taken you on as a new franchisee it is in their interests to give you customers, By the time you pay full franchise fee, 8 weeks in you will have sufficient customers to cover your costs and make profit, can you guarantee that on your own, why are they going to choose you Mr New Kid on the block?

2 and a half years on I am still with the AA, my weekly fees have come down, loyalty reward and not paying for so many pupils from them and my own self generated pupils are increasing. I am in a position now where I can consider being Independent and making my own way completely but still the Franchise suits my needs and enables me to make a reasonable living whilst retaining control over my life. Maybe I am fortunate that I live in an affluent area where lesson prices are high, so this is my own personal experience.

#8 05-01-09 11:15:49

gday
Verified Member
Website

Christhedrummer posted at the same time as me and echos what I was trying to say. Yes it sounds grand to be driving round in your own car with your own name on straight away but just because I don't have that doesn't mean to say that I am not my own boss working for myself, I just made what was a sound "new" business decision for ME! People still contact me direct because they want me not the AA, I am still building my own repuation, 1 bought lead from the AA has provide me with a number of additional customers I would otherwise not had that have come direct to me.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 05-01-09 12:17:26

rooster
Verified Member

Now that's interesting !!

not paying for so many pupils from them and my own self generated pupils are increasing. I

People still contact me direct because they want me not the AA, I am still building my own repuation, 1 bought lead from the AA has provide me with a number of additional customers I would otherwise not had that have come direct to me.

I'm sure I'll find this in the paperwork provided, (contracts etc), but you are saying that even with a franchise, you can generate your own pupils from recommendations or independent advertising????

I expect that there will be a 'ceiling' on the proportion of one to the other, but I suppose the franchiser gets the fee from you anyway?
How much do they lose by you generating your own business and side stepping their referrals??

I trained with TIC Southampton. They as a college do not push the 'RED' school any more than other franchises as a route to choosing your preferred franchise, but they aren't yet established round my bit of Surrey, (south of Guildford). Good opportunity :?

Great discussion - thanks for sharing!

#10 05-01-09 16:25:25

scannermanh
Verified Member

Hi Rooster
If you go the franchise route, you are still working for yourself
and no one else, so if they give you a car to use, then use it for
your own pupils as well, your paying for it.
Ideally the school would like you to generate all your own trade
then they could take on another ADI to cover what you no longer
need therefore doubling their income for the same number of pupils,
but then you would go indie, so they like it somewhere in between.

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#11 05-01-09 17:10:14

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Some thoughts Rooster;

Sit down and take a breath.

You are a new business whatever route you go. Like any new business you need to look at all aspects and plan. Fundamentally it is simple. You will earn money and have costs the difference between the 2 is your earnings.

Costs first. Your major costs are going to be a car and marketing. Analyse the costs of buying new and used, include the cost of financing and projected depreciation as well as the obvious costs. Look at the cost of leasing, either through a school or leasing company, which can be more but gives you a warmer feeling of security.

Marketing, if you do it yourself try not to spend more than a franchise fee as a weekly average otherwise it becomes pointless doing it yourself. Think hard about how your phone is answered, a franchise will do this for you but you can't answer your own phone whilst teaching. To make people leave messages without going onto the next web site on their list, or advert in a book, you have to have a reason for them to wait for you to get back to them otherwise your advertising money is wasted. This is traditionally a quiet time of year but don't be put off by this, we are having a very busy time at the moment, can't work it out but will take it while it's here. Try and budget some costs for this.

Money in. This is simply how much you get an hour multiplied by how many hours you realistically expect to work not how many hours you want to work. Remember if you are looking at franchises check their hourly rate first not their franchise fee. £1 less an hour and a free lesson each week can reduce your earnings compared to a higher franchise that charges more and doesn't give away too much.

I will stand in defence of schools, as you would expect, look what you get for your money there are good and bad out there. When the phone stops ringing then it usually does for everybody and as a school owner I have had sleepless nights being aware of the responsibility to generate work.

Consider all of the variations and what you believe you are capable of in the context of what you need to earn to live. Then you will have the best path for you and your abilities.

A bit of a PS where are you in the UK?

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#12 05-01-09 21:32:17

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

I trained with BSM and without a single thought of going Indy, went on franchise with them.
Expensive? Yes.
Do I make good money through them? Yes.
My worst week I earned £125 after franchise, my best, over £800 after franchise. Most weeks I was a lot nearer the larger figure than the small one.  Working a large area (and 3 test centres) where there were few other BSM instructors helped to keep a full diary.
There are no guarantees, but for me as I have said before, it suits me for now.

I am just coming to the end of 3 months of being unable to work due to a back problem. Most if not all my clients have gone elsewhere and many of them have passed their tests (most having phoned me for advice or thanking me or their tuition and a couple waiting for my return to do Pass Plus or Motorway). I will be going back on the road with an empty diary, but BSM will build it up for me, albeit slowly at this time of year.  How would I have coped if I were Indy?  Quite simply, I wouldn't.  Having notched up over 6 months service with BSM, I made a claim on their sickness policy so I at least had some money coming in. Had I been Indy, I probably would have had serious financial issues by now.

What suits one person will rarely suit another.  I always said I would stay with BSM for at least a year and see how it goes.  So far it hasn't all been bad, and as already said, it suits me for now.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 06-01-09 01:42:27

gday
Verified Member
Website

Now that's interesting !!

g'day wrote:

I'm sure I'll find this in the paperwork provided, (contracts etc), but you are saying that even with a franchise, you can generate your own pupils from recommendations or independent advertising????

I expect that there will be a 'ceiling' on the proportion of one to the other, but I suppose the franchiser gets the fee from you anyway?
How much do they lose by you generating your own business and side stepping their referrals??

Great discussion - thanks for sharing!

Yes absolutely Rooster, generate as many as you like as each pupil the AA gives you they charge you £30 for. Scannermouth has hit the nail on the head, they won't stop take on more franchisees so the pupils that ring the AA, the AA will still get dished out and they will still get their fee.

#14 06-01-09 16:51:10

rooster
Verified Member

Great stuff this, some sensible advice to give thought too!

Thanks Colin for the advice to 'take breath', I don't intend to rush in, in fact I'm more than a little hesistant!  neutral
By the way, I'm in SW Surrey, south of Guildford.
As a bit of plan - I intend to have my Missus as my secretary, at home, answering 'phone, making bookings, marketing (?) etc.
Then I'm sure I can show her pulling a salary and get some tax benefit? :angel:

Wow £30 per pupil g'day; how does that work?? Just a one-off fee I presume, with the hope that the pupil goes for more than 1 lesson.
Otherwise - does the AA get the money from the pupil and pay you, or do you pay the AA £30 and keep what??
As you may detect - I am pretty naive in business - but wary of getting a bad deal!  roll

Good mention about 'sickness' by Smithwold, thanks.  An issue that is worth some consideration! Speedy recovery M8 !!

#15 06-01-09 18:30:18

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

As a bit of plan - I intend to have my Missus as my secretary, at home, answering 'phone, making bookings, marketing (?) etc.
Then I'm sure I can show her pulling a salary and get some tax benefit? :angel:

Don't have her down as an employee as that gets very complicated.

If she registers as self-employed herself, all of her own personal tax allowance can be used (assuming she has no other form of income) as she can work on a self-employed basis providing services (i.e administration) for your business for which you pay her a sum equal to, or just under, the amount of her own tax allowance. On your tax return you put what you pay her down as a business expense.

The downside is that she'll have to fill in a tax return etc herself, but it's pretty straightforward  smile

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#16 06-01-09 18:38:36

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Or make her a partner so you can offset both of your tax allowances against earnings. About 12K at current levels, I think.

Colin Martin

#17 08-01-09 15:55:43

gday
Verified Member
Website

Wow £30 per pupil g'day; how does that work?? Just a one-off fee I presume, with the hope that the pupil goes for more than 1 lesson.
Otherwise - does the AA get the money from the pupil and pay you, or do you pay the AA £30 and keep what??

Basically you pay the AA £30 for the customer lead. They are then your pupil and it is up to you to retain them. So if you are lucky you pay the AA £30 they give you a 17 year old who you take all the way though to test, so your income for the pupil would be between £800 - £1000 (depending on number of lessons needed), all yours other than the initial £30 (minus tax of course). The AA have nothing further to do with them unless they are unhappy with you and want a different instructor. Yes you pay the AA £30 for some customers that you may not get as much from as that, for example some from other countries who can already drive but want their UK licence, but you have to take the rough with the smooth. So £30 for some guaranteed income is not a bad outlay in my view and far cheaper than I hear most people saying they spend on advertising or marketing or whatever impressive sounding name they give it and with you own advertising you have no guarantee of any income at all however much you spend on it.

#18 08-01-09 20:36:18

Target
Verified Member
Website

So how many hours does a pupil do on average?

I find its around 25 hours. Some come along for 1 hour and the jobs done, others come along for 200 hours, but it all evens out. Your probably need around 3-4 pupils per month once your diaries full, bare in mind thou in the current climate pupils are taking less hours as they jump from school to school looking for the next deal on wheels.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#19 08-01-09 22:53:25

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

I don't pay for pupil referrals which is good as my latest cancelled even before the 1st lesson!! We had a lesson arranged, had 10hrs previously about 6 months ago with another ADI and wanted to start again. I got a text 2 days later saying "Sorry, I'm not taking lessons any more". Would be seriously narked if I'd paid £30 for that lead!

#20 09-01-09 09:35:20

Target
Verified Member
Website

I've always been a little sceptical about 'Pay Per Pupil' pricing. With the way this profession works it tends to lend a licence to print money. I've been there and paid out plenty, along with paying out for my own advertising on top of that.

Ideally the instructor, or call centre operator needs to weed out the trash and pass on those pupils looking for driving lessons, not just a run around to see if they like the car.

Theres never an ideal situation, a minimum number of guaranteed pupils would be one solution, but difficult to monitor, then when that minimum has dropped, so does the franchise.

Theres no definate answer.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#21 09-01-09 09:41:20

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

A minimum number guarantee would never work because the big unknown for any business is how much the phone is going to ring, or how many people are going to walk through the shop door. So if the minimum guarantee isn't met, despite everybody's best efforts, you could refund franchises etc. but you are still short of work and not earning.

Colin Martin

#22 16-01-09 14:32:34

Bern Roberts
Verified Member
Website

Something you need to be careful of with the franchise route is this: How many instructors are working for them? I used to work for a school with about 70 instructors all packed 9into a fairly small area. Needless to say I left because I wasn't earning enough. The school may be doing well (with 70 franchise fees every week I'm sure it is!) but the instructors may not. The number of pupils the school takes in is almost irrelevant... what matters is how many pupils you personally will get from it.

#23 07-02-09 02:13:21

gday
Verified Member
Website

I don't pay for pupil referrals which is good as my latest cancelled even before the 1st lesson!! We had a lesson arranged, had 10hrs previously about 6 months ago with another ADI and wanted to start again. I got a text 2 days later saying "Sorry, I'm not taking lessons any more". Would be seriously narked if I'd paid £30 for that lead!

If they cancel before taking a lesson you don't get charged!

#24 07-02-09 09:36:54

Aspyre

i know a couple of aa drivers and if pupils sign up for the free lesson being advertsed in the papers and only take that 1 leson theyve still had refunds when theyve complained.

#25 07-02-09 13:54:58

Makem Drive
Verified Member

Anyone thought of this then?

Set youself up as indy, own car, box, mag. decals, web site etc.

Go part time with local franchise & swap box & decals depending 'whose' pupil you are taking.

Is this ethical?

I ask because being selfemployed you are your own boss. As long as the franchise rules don't state you can't do this then you can.

Alternatively you could do your web site and advertise learning to drive with 'YOUR NAME' & leave off the SOM or franchise school name. This should be OK as you are not advertising a school but sourcing your own pupils to train which is allowed by many franchises. Any paperwork your pupil gets has your name & number & no mention of the franchise (but the car decals. & box would be his). Cards given out would only show your name  etc. When you go fully indy you add your school name to paperwork & web site.

Board footer