You are not logged in.

#1 02-01-09 19:31:04

jo

Undertaking

Hi everybody.  (I wasn't sure where to post this so please feel free to move it if I have posted in the wrong place).

I haven't been posting for a while due to the fact that I managed to pass my 2nd test at the beginning of October '08 in my automatic (2 minors so I was better than I thought).  However, since then, although I try to avoid driving as much as possible and still take the bus whenever I can, there is one journey each week I have to make.  It involves driving on M25 and M3.  A situation I've found myself in a couple of times now is I am driving on the inside (driving) lane keeping up to speed limit (70 unless otherwise advised) and there has been a driver in the second (overtaking) lane crawling along at 60-65mph.  Does that have an effect on me?  I'm never sure if I should be reducing my speed to match their's so I don't get done for undertaking or what action I should take.  Am I okay to continue at 70 or not? 

Thanks for your help.

02-01-09 19:31:04

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Undertaking

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 02-01-09 19:59:14

kjs
Verified Member
Website

Hi Jo.

Rule 268 of the highway code says,

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on the left to overtake. I n conjested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in the left hand lane may sometimesbe moving faster than traffic in the right. In these conditionsyou may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

I read into this that in certain conditions it would be ok to undertake. I would definately make sure that you knew what the driver on the right was doing before trying it. I always understood it that it ment that traffic was to be moving very slow, practically standing for it to be ok. It dose seem to me to be a bit dangerous to move from lane 1 to lane 3 and back again to overtake an idiot in the center lane causing alsorts of problems for other drivers. This sort of driving is irisponsible in my opinion.

Had a woman in a landrover pull onto the M6 this afternoon, straight into the center lane at 50mph causing traffic in that lane to brake sharpely almost causing an accident, and was totally oblivious to what she had done until she realised I was almost stuck to her rear bumper, and jesticulating to me about bad driving.

Have you ever thought about seeking some lessons on M-way driving ? I ask this not knowing if you have already. Hope this helps

kevin

#3 02-01-09 22:55:49

scannermanh
Verified Member

Unfortunatly this is not uncommon, but you must not overtake
on the left unless in ques of slow moving traffic.
On motorways you need to look further to anticipate, as speed
differences can be greater than normal roads, if catching traffic
in lane 2 you need to get into this lane early to prepare to use
lane 3 to overtake. do not try two lanes at once, take each lane
change seperately and be prepared to slow if you can't overtake.
As KJS posts, think about some extra training for motorways, they
are very safe roads if people follow the rules and act sensibly, but
you have to be able to deal with some idiots now and again.
You say you try and avoid driving, like all skills if you don't practice
it, you can lose it.

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#4 03-01-09 16:43:40

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

My first reaction when I saw the title of this thread was, its an alternative income driving a Hearse big_smile

Show how one person sees things differently from another...

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

Board footer