You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 18-12-08 17:14:57

Carlo
Verified Member

Website Building Software

Hi all,

For thoses that have created and maintain there own site.  What software do you use??

I currently use coreldraw to design the site and then upload it in frontpage.  It's a bit of a pain when using to different softwares but I find frontpage a bit basic with design.

"It's easy when you know how!"

18-12-08 17:14:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Website Building Software

#2 18-12-08 17:43:58

SMILE
Verified Member
Website

I had a chap design my site for me, but do have to confess to fidling with it so it doesnt bare much resemblance to the original now - do all the maintenance myself (learning as I go  neutral) I've been using Dreamweaver and find it ok and straightforward to use.

www.smiledrivingschool.com
Lessons in and around Northamptonshire

#3 18-12-08 18:41:33

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Wordpress.

Very simple to use, extremely adaptable, updated live and incredibly easy to SEO.

Oh and it's opensource too, so free.

#4 18-12-08 19:50:00

TheBlackburnRover
Verified Member
Website

Dreamweaver MX for me-quite easy to use with a bit of practise.

Driving Schools In Preston www.philcope.co.uk

#5 19-12-08 08:34:27

george
Verified Member
Website

I use incomedia X5, got it free from a magazine. Very easy. I'm gonna buy the latest version I was so impressed so I can really make a good site.

Paul Shackleton DSA ADI.-----DSA Fleet, Diamond Advanced, NVQ L3 In driver Training & Assessment, A1 & Ordit

#6 19-12-08 11:40:09

Carlo
Verified Member

Cool.  Thanks for the replies smile.

I have been thinking about Dreamweaver as I have heard lots of good things about it.  Just seems very expensive!  Will look into it though.

"It's easy when you know how!"

#7 19-12-08 12:29:26

scannermanh
Verified Member

Hi All
I have Microsoft Office which contains Publisher, this has
a web site buiding facility, has anyboby created their site
in Publisher? neutral
Was considering Dreameaver, but baulked at the price (£300+). yikes

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#8 19-12-08 13:54:40

SMILE
Verified Member
Website

I downloaded my copy of Dreamweaver from the internet  for free - it may not be the lastest fullest version (Dreamweaver 8) but it does the business for me  big_smile

#9 19-12-08 16:58:20

scannermanh
Verified Member

Hi Smile
Hope it was legal, friend of mine got sued by software
company in Japan, cost him £3.5K + his legals, his barrister
told him he got off light because he wasn't a business or they
would have "taken his head off", his words. yikes

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#10 19-12-08 18:00:38

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Seriously - have a look at wordpress.

If you need convincing you can set yourself up a free blog on www.wordpress.com with your schoolname as the first part of the url (mysom.wordpress.com) and have a play.

This is one of the biggest and best developed pieces of software on the internet. The whole thing, including a huge amount of plugins for specific applications is free. You can get thousands of free themes which you can adapt. If you decide to go upmarket, all you need to do is either buy or commission a new theme, or find a free one that you can adapt.

I was introduced to wordpress by a professional web developer who let me in to the secret of many successful designers and I cannot thank him enough for it. It has saved me a fortune on website design and actually earnt me more than it has cost.

Why pay for one of these programs when you can get something better and more effective for nothing. I don't get it.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 19-12-08 18:09:58

SMILE
Verified Member
Website

Hi Smile
Hope it was legal, friend of mine got sued by software
company in Japan, cost him £3.5K + his legals, his barrister
told him he got off light because he wasn't a business or they
would have "taken his head off", his words. yikes

I seem to remember it was from a website selling dreamweaver but as it wasnt a current version you could download it free?  Obviously, I will now check...

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 22-12-08 21:17:51

fidel
Verified Member
Website

I currently use coreldraw to design the site and then upload it in frontpage.

those are Victorian age softwares. use dreamweaver, flash, photoshop

#13 23-12-08 07:26:55

DampDog
Verified Member

Seriously - have a look at wordpress.

Is that what you use for your site?

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#14 23-12-08 21:29:08

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Yup, all of them barring a couple which are done in 1and1's free websitebuilder package.

#15 23-12-08 22:24:51

george
Verified Member
Website

1and1? are yoe serious? They are my host but, but, but! It's really cr@p. Prove me wrong please. It was two years ago i tried to make a website with 1and 1.

Paul Shackleton DSA ADI.-----DSA Fleet, Diamond Advanced, NVQ L3 In driver Training & Assessment, A1 & Ordit

#16 23-12-08 22:30:51

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

I'm not recommending 1and1 as a host, as there's better hosts around these days, many of them with 1click wordpress installation, which would save me a lot of aggro, but I just haven't got around to changing.

However, the websitebuilder thingie is actually really simple to use. My local fleet site (http://www.companyfleetdrivertraining.co.uk/)is done with it. It looks a bit scruffy at the moment, but that's my fault - not the program. It still hits page 1 for some pretty competetive searches, considering it took me an afternoon to put together and gets 20 minutes spent on it every 3 months or so.

Only reason I did the 3 with 1and1 was because I fancied having a play with their program.

#17 23-12-08 22:40:09

george
Verified Member
Website

Not having a go, just found 1and1 web builder thingy confusing. Mine is "Chimp tested" and needed to be, lol.
www.g-som.co.uk

#18 24-12-08 09:49:12

Disky
Verified Member
Website

Not having a go, just found 1and1 web builder thingy confusing. Mine is "Chimp tested" and needed to be, lol.
www.g-som.co.uk

George.

I saw this post and decided to have a "play" with WordPress as well. I did find it very confusing at first to be honest,,, a bit like the "Offside Rule", but i kept at it,, then i started to understand how it was thinking.

Got some help with a few settings,, and away i went.

I have spend just an hour or so doing this site, www.portonian.wordpress.com and it seems to be coming on now, need to fiish it and tidy it up,, with the integratio of a shopping cart,, but im sure it will get there.

And by the way,,, i am definately no web designer LOLOLOLOL, have a go, you may be surprised.

Ray

#19 24-12-08 10:31:18

DampDog
Verified Member

[quote author=Disky]I have spend just an hour or so doing this site, www.portonian.wordpress.com and it seems to be coming on now, need to fiish it and tidy it up,, with the integratio of a shopping cart,, but im sure it will get there.

You did that in an hour! Think me's gonna be downloading that over Xmas and giving it a waz...

I assume you'd already had the little ADI badge and other images already and just pasted them in (or whatever you do to embed them)

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#20 24-12-08 17:17:04

Disky
Verified Member
Website

Yup,, all the images were already done, just a case of inserting.

have a go,, im sure you'll like it

#21 31-12-08 02:58:12

Disky
Verified Member
Website

DD have a look now,, about 8 hours in and im quite pleased with it,, just need to make a new header image. Other than that,, it will be going live hopefully sometime in jan.

www.portonian.wordpress.com

Board footer