You are not logged in.

#1 05-10-08 08:39:51

sophy
Verified Member

Help

This site is the most useful thing I have found so far- I have signed up with the AA & am on Part 3 & had about 10 hours lessons- can anyone tell me when it will all fall into place- I am stressing so much at the moment I am also finding it difficult in putting what I know into words, I have spent so much time & money that I don't want to waste my chance, I have bought all the books can anyone else tell me if they are in a similar place. Am I getting myself tied up in knots for no reason? Stress stress is all I seem to be doing lately.

Thanks & congrats to all of you that have qualified- what a relief that must be

05-10-08 08:39:51

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Help

#2 05-10-08 09:54:39

evanadi

Hi Sophy pm sent to you. Ev

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 05-10-08 10:55:48

DampDog
Verified Member

Hiya Sophy,

Loads of us have been where you are now, Parts 1 & 2 are really straight forwards, part 3 is the real eye opener for most. I posted a thread something similar about twelve months back, might be some stuff in there that helps.

http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … 216.0.html

Part 3 is a bit like a jigsaw. When you start out it's a collection of pieces that you're not sure quite how they fit together and what it's going to look like at the end. The more you do the clearer that picture becomes, a good trainer will help you fill in the gaps and keep you going in the right direction. Try not to think about doing it all, consentrate on the parts to begin with, once you're happy with one piece move on to the next.

Plus there are lots of people to ask questions of here.

Goodluck
DD

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#4 05-10-08 12:18:29

sophy
Verified Member

Thanks that makes me feel better, yes I guess it is like a jigsaw & I am sure it will click ONE day!!!
These posts on here are so informative & valueable & makes you realise you're not the one struggling.

Yes I am kind of blown away with it all but I know I must do one part at a time & build up confidence in what I am doing before moving onto the next bit.

Thanks again I feel morepositive now

#5 05-10-08 15:44:14

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Try having alook at the Baline Walsh tapes at
http://aditraining.tv/frames/frames.asp … ruzegul222

Many people, myself included have found them to be a godsend, you can see what you are meant to do and how to do it, as well as watching how not to do it.

They are worth more than all the books you could ever buy.

#6 05-10-08 17:21:14

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Unfortunately, too many ADI trainers start by only giving you bits of sky and expecting to tell them that it's a jigsaw of a horse.

They then seem to take a great deal of enjoyment from seeing you confused.

Start with the corners first - learn about levels of instruction and core competencies. Only once you have mastered these should you be asked to put them together in preparation for the PSTs.

What have you been taught so far Sophy?

#7 05-10-08 17:43:38

DampDog
Verified Member

Paddy rings up his mate Dermot..

Paddy "Dermot I've been trying to do this jigsaw for days and it's driving me mad"

Dermot "What's it a jigsaw of?"

Paddy "It's a tiger"

Dermot "Ok, I'll come round and give you a hand"

Paddy arrives round at Dermot's takes one look at the pieces and says

"Dermot, put the "Frosties" back in the box"

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#8 06-10-08 09:32:27

onmyown
Verified Member

hi sophy
We all know how you feel, and I am sorry to say there is no answer, just like when your pupil says WILL I PAS MY TEST TODAY, we honestly do not know.
Eventually it will click into place HONEST, just keep going over it, and do not flitter from one to the other, learn one pst and then move on and always keep going back to the pst that you have just taught yourself, it is not easy we all know that, just keep going it will come to you
good luck

#9 06-10-08 09:41:07

sophy
Verified Member

Thanks for all the advice it has been very helpful- I'll plod on then & keep you posted

#10 09-10-08 19:48:24

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Hi

I haven't been on for a few weeks, and i was just about to write a post, but you have written exactly what i was going to say. I am also at my 10 hours training for part 3, and am feeling exactly the same as you are...

I hope it starts to sink in soon for the both of us, my trainer has said it will, i really hope its soon.

Cat

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

#11 10-10-08 07:46:04

sophy
Verified Member

Hi Cat
Thanks its good to know there are other's out there going through the same thing- who are you training with? I am with The AA & although my Trainer is excellent the stuff they give you to help like the modulesetc are !!!!!!!! useless!
Maybe we can help each other then, keep me posted on your progress. Good Luck & Happy Driving!!
Sophy

#12 10-10-08 08:36:43

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

The problems most trainees have stem from the fact they are being taught to pass a test. Most trainers structure their training round the PST's. Before you worry about PST's you need to master more basic skills. How do you control the lesson/pupil, understand the core competencies, what is level of instruction (most trainers will deal with novice and part trained - ask your trainer about those at different levels wink) what is Q&A and when is it used, how to use feedback.
Only when you understand these things will your "jigsaw" start to fall into place.

If you want to know how good your training really is ask your trainer to teach you how to teach D/C and motorway.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#13 10-10-08 08:42:44

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

I completely agree.

When we teach customers to drive, we endevour to make it simple, building up from simple building blocks so that each new step makes sense.

Unfortunately we hear all too often that PDIs are confused not just for a moment, or even after a session but for many sessions on end and are left "hoping" that it will all fall into place.

Both Tony and I have said it - get your trainer to explain and work with your Levels of instruction  and core comps before even thinking of starting with the PSTs, briefings and lesson planning etc.

#14 10-10-08 08:55:32

sophy
Verified Member

Thanks Guys all info taken on board, so glad I have found this site it has taken away some self doubt at least for now!!!

#15 12-10-08 09:12:20

Janeway
Verified Member
Website

Hi Sophy,

This might help.. Just keep this at the front of your mind:
'What am I teaching this pupil to do correctly?'
'How much help do I need to give right now?'

As your training develops, everything will fall into place.  big_smile

ORDIT Registered ADI Trainer
Fleet Trainer
Grade 6
B.Ed
http://www.voyagerinstructortraining.com

#16 14-10-08 13:40:20

RazmoUK
Verified Member

Hi Sophie,

As many have said, most have been there. I can only tell you how I dealt with this. I think people get too confused. You have the knowledge because you passed part 1. You can drive to a great standard because of part 2. Now, don't worry too much about that side of it or where they fit in. I would rec that you get your head round the core comps and understand just how they work.

See the fault.
Say the fault.
Analyse the fault.
Fix the fault.

Now, if you follow that formulae and use the skills you already have (knowledge from parts 1 and 2) you should be able to teach and pass part 3.

Example:

Pupil emerging left but position too far right.

You've seen it now say it. Poition is wrong.

Pull up, Q&A and analyse. This is KEY. Understand this part fully.

Once source of problem is found, you simply tell them how you are going to help fix. Without good analysis, this part is no more than contratictory to how they are already doing it.

The thing is that you need to follow the core comps otherwise you will have no or very little structure.

I wonder if this makes any sense....lol

I remember during my own training how this was brought to my attention and it still didn't register...lol

Razz.

Both fingers are free,a nd a gift to those who need it.

#17 22-10-08 10:27:37

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Hi Razmo,
I don't completely subscribe to your sentiments in the last post.
This is not meant as a critisism, but merely a different view.

Passing part 1 and 2 may help with the fault ID and may even lead to an appropriate remedy, but it does nothing to assist the instructor in the analysis.

I personally beleive that to effectively analyse a fault, the instructor must not only know different ways of doing the driving task correctly, why it is correct and how to pass that information on to another person,  but also how it can be done incorrectly, why it is incorrect and how to help another person understand why it is is incorrect.

Just because a PDI did not coast around a corner on his part 2, it does not mean that he understands why it should be avoided if possible. Without that understanding, how can it be expected he can analyse all potential faults when cornering.

Example:

The car goes around a left corner and crosses the centre of the road into the path of oncoming traffic.

"You took that corner too wide".   He has given a fault ID. (seen it and said it).

On the next left corner he talks the pupil around the corner int he same way that he took all left corners on his part 2.

The pupil has now performed a left corner correctly. does that mean the true fault has been remedied? Has the pupil been educated regarding the incident and how to avoid it in future?

Whereas if the instructor understood that the actual fault was because the pupil tried entering the corner at 80mph he can then educate the pupil on not only the correct speed for that corner but also why excessive speed is inapproriate and the consequences of it.

Same fault ID, too wide at corner, but this time the instructor has felt the car coasting, resulting in excessive speed during the corner. He can now give a more approriate remedy.

Of course, there are many other reasons why a corner was taken too wide, I merely give 2 examples based on speed.
without knowledge of what causes a particular result, analysis becomes guesswork at best, and wholly ineffective, and dangerous at worst.

I know of one instructor that sat in the back of a test, and actually disagreed with the examiner regarding a test fail.

Apparently he saw nothing wrong with the candidate reacting to approaching a pedestrian crossing too quickly and then dumping the clutch as a pedestrian was still crossing.
The instructor felt it warranted a DF for approach speed, but not a serious as the driver had made an effort to "correct" the speed issue.

Regards Dimmy

#18 22-10-08 11:05:14

RazmoUK
Verified Member

Thanks for the reply,

I understand what you are saying, and agree. My point was to 'understand the core comps fully'. I am taking it as red that the PDI can drive perfectly, understands and knows the consequences....etc.... If this isn't the case, then what is the point in a part 1 or 2 test ifwe still assume that the PDI is crap?...lol.

Razz.

Both fingers are free,a nd a gift to those who need it.

#19 02-11-08 18:08:54

ExAdiNigel

Sophy,

Little concerned you are finding the workbooks useless.  Where are you based?  I am a trainer with the AA based in Swindon.  If you want a chat with someone different, either pm me your number or just pm me and I will send you my number - more than happy to have a chat.

Whenever you come against anything you don't understand ask your trainer, that is what you have paid your money for - support!  If you aren't receiving the support you expect contact the AA and ask for another trainer.

Remember YOU are the most important person in this arrangement.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#20 15-11-08 12:48:37

looprevil
Verified Member

Hi Sophy,

Thinks can seem a blur through the part 3 training process.

I would echo what others here are saying, make use of your trainers expertise and ask questions as that is what they are there for.

Learning the skill of educating others is one of the most important aspects of part 3 training IMO, this involves understanding core competencies and being able to identify, analyse and remedy difficulties that your clients display whilst sat next to you.

Being able to sit next to someone and teach them what they need to develop their driving skills is a much higher priority than only learning the DSA PST's IMO, it is unfortunate that some trainers and/or their companies choose to focus the priority on just teaching PST's.

regards

Paddy

smile  big_smile  lol  cool

#21 16-12-08 11:03:58

Hale
Verified Member
Website

With undoubtedly the beauty of hindsight and experience, the Part 3 is NOT as complicated as people make out.

It's finding a trainer who will break it down into a simple way, rather than baffle you.

But obviously, alot of money lies in the training industry and i suppose it has to seem complicated to justify the price people charge to study.

I eventually got an excellent trainer but there was a catch (he wasnt going to enlighten me for free!) a years franchise contract one i passed Part 3 - gave him 6 months.

When i say STOP, I can only mean ONE thing!

Part 1 - Passed Sept 2003
Part 2 - Passed Nov 2003
Part 3 - Failed Aug 2004
Part 3 - Passed Jan 2005

http://www.hayleys-driving-tuition.co.uk

Board footer