You are not logged in.

#1 19-03-05 20:48:38

adi chris

Some Help Please

I,ve been on a trainee licence for a couple of weeks now and feel i am doing well, BUT today I had a prat tail gaiting me and a pupil, it was my pupils first time on the road (4 hrs in a very big ind est).
My pupil was driving great on quite roads when we picked up this prat trying to get into our back seat, I asked the pupil to turn right at the next junction and went through MSPLS but he still cut the corner, so i explained the dangers of the right corner cut and why he had done it ect.
But i had this prat flashing his lights and making hand movements so asked pupil to pull over on the left.
Then was told that i was crap as i should have used my brake to slow the pupil down and not let him do the corner cut ect.

I explained it was pupils first time on real roads and he had been told the dangers of the corner cut ( and i would talk him through the next couple of times).He continued to gob off.
At this point i lost it slightly and told him to get out of the car as i was going to (can,t repeat). :oops:
Any way he drove off rather quickly.

But spolt my lession and ive felt deflated and wondering could i have stopped the corner cut.
I thought it was better for them to make the mastake with me so i could point out what was wrong, why they did it, and then how to correct it.

Its the first time something like this has happend to me and i,m still fumming.
Any advise would be welcome.

19-03-05 20:48:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Some Help Please

#2 19-03-05 20:55:01

buzdriver

you should never ever react to other drivers just compleatly blank them out. i know this can be difficult but you are the professional and you are expected to act as a true pro should.

#3 19-03-05 21:01:36

adi chris

I know i should have igonerd him. lots to learn..( the bas##=-)

#4 19-03-05 21:17:16

sparkle

I agree with Buz

It will happen EVERYDAY without fail...from someone yelling sweet nothings in the mirror behind you...to being overtaken dangerously on a very busy road...

part & parcel of the job  sad  sad ..just DONT rise to it. 8)  your better than them big_smile

#5 19-03-05 21:19:54

Troll

Sometimes other drivers will 'have a go' even if your pupil hasnt made a 'mistake' - its easy to say ignore them but when you've got a complete mindless prat having a go - its not that easy.

I would only ever pull over to be spoken to by the police - I do not have to justify what I'm doing in the car with a learner to anyone else, if someone else beckoned me to pull over or asked me to wind window down so they can have a go, I would ignore them.

If my pupil genuinely makes a mistake then I always hold my hand up in a 'sorry' kinda gesture.

Sometimes these people are looking for an argument from anyone - they've got out of bed the wrong side etc & are looking for any excuse to let off steam.

Had a young man today on a push bike cycling in front of us, middle of the road on purpose (he's checking his shoulder to make sure we're still behind him) - my pupils going dead slow cos of him - anyways he moves over a little so she very carefully drove past him dead slow & what does he do? He spits the biggest amount of gob onto our windscreen I think i've ever seen,  the pupil is mortified & calls him a few choice words - I said absolutely nothing - asked her to turn left at the end of the road - we're only 2 seconds away from where she lives - pulls up out side her house - by now kid on bike long gone.  Debrief at end of lesson - after she gets out I take out water bottle & hose gob off window.

I am so glad I didnt respond, either to the kid or the pupil - I didnt need to say a word really cos the action spoke for itself. I kept my dignity.

#6 19-03-05 21:24:45

adi chris

Thanks for the replys, i tend to think its only me.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 19-03-05 21:31:26

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I try not to react too much nowadays and most times don't but recently I got surrounded by about 10, 14year olds coming out of school one day whilst pupil was reversing around a corner. All on a massive wind up mission.

One of them (for some reason) started licking the windscreen, so I suggested to my pupil to press the washer button to clean it, we got his ear with the water and nearly got his tongue with the wiper. It diffused the situation wonderfully as all his mates just fell about.

With so many of my collegues own cars dotted around the town as sitting targets, it's unfair on them to really react in a vengeful way.

Regards,

#8 19-03-05 22:19:40

Anonymous

Chris, you are on a learning curve too.  You made a mistake you now regret so learn from it and go forward stronger.

If you get seriously tailgaited again then pull over to the left when convenient and let him/her pass, take 5 then carry on.

The corner cut was probably due to your pup going to fast being intimidated by the Tailgator.  It might not have happened if she hadn't been tailgated.

Lessons all round.  Tell her not to be intimidated but to control the traffic behind.  If she wants to slow down for a corner then begin the process earlier and more gently than she normally would.  No one is going to ram you intentionally.

Have a good weekend.

Wessex.

#9 19-03-05 23:04:15

Bounty Hunter
Verified Member
Website

A driving instrutor who used to work in my area never had a problem educating such morons as the one chris came across, but he did have one advantage, he was an ex royal marine and he was built like Arnold schwarzenegger. example, A guy was using his horn to hurry up one of his pupils having problems moving off uphill at traffic lights so he got out and asked what was the problem, I am late for an appointment came the reply, the instructor then said well your going to be even later now as he grabbed the guys keys and tossed the over a wall. Another time he was surrounded by a gang of yobs while parked up with a pupil, one of the gang leant in through the drivers window and demanded money, wallop left jab in face floored him and sat on him till police arrived, this event was witnessed by another instructor who was passing at the time and told me the story. personally i turn the other cheek and try to keep calm but it is not easy, I had a kid once running agter the car with a !!!!!!!! great stick in his hand, it took great willpower not to hit the brakes and bounce him off the back window, fortunately my young male pupil responded when i told him to hit the gas and we left him behind.

Chinese proverb "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 19-03-05 23:09:01

Django

Bounty Hunter wrote:

A driving instrutor who used to work in my area never had a problem educating such morons as the one chris came across, but he did have one advantage, he was an ex royal marine and he was built like Arnold schwarzenegger. example, A guy was using his horn to hurry up one of his pupils having problems moving off uphill at traffic lights so he got out and asked what was the problem, I am late for an appointment came the reply, the instructor then said well your going to be even later now as he grabbed the guys keys and tossed the over a wall. Another time he was surrounded by a gang of yobs while parked up with a pupil, one of the gang leant in through the drivers window and demanded money, wallop left jab in face floored him and sat on him till police arrived, this event was witnessed by another instructor who was passing at the time and told me the story. personally i turn the other cheek and try to keep calm but it is not easy, I had a kid once running agter the car with a !!!!!!!! great stick in his hand, it took great willpower not to hit the brakes and bounce him off the back window, fortunately my young male pupil responded when i told him to hit the gas and we left him behind.

Was this on the Intake Estate by any chance?

#11 19-03-05 23:31:25

Bounty Hunter
Verified Member
Website

Hello django, yes thats it, sounds like you know the area, maybe you know the instructor i mentioned, Dennis burchell from rossington, he was a legend, maybe i made him sound bad but he really was a nice guy, except to people who had the wrong attitude on the roads.

Chinese proverb "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

#12 19-03-05 23:47:33

Django

Yeah I know it well. I teach in Donnie amoungst other places. I try not to teach there now because of the abuse my pupils are given. The problem is the road layout, what with the 20mph speed limit, seems designed for learner driving. I do feel how ever it is abused by ADIs so try to avoid it anyway.  :?

Sadly I don't know Dennis. Hope I don't 'bump' into him though. lol  lol

Board footer