You are not logged in.

#1 04-12-07 12:50:54

driver69

Mobile phone questions

Now that I am starting to build up my pupils I am thinking about getting a mobile contract, I have always had PAYG because I do not make many calls but I can see that changing.

Do others find they make a lot of business related calls, or is it more receiving calls?  Can anyone recommend a good deal?

04-12-07 12:50:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Mobile phone questions

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 04-12-07 15:34:47

howly
Verified Member
Website

as far as i'm aware (i was told by the tax people at a self assessment workshop) that you can claim 100% of mobile phone bill as an allowable expense to offset your tax bill.  my understanding is PAYG has to be calculated via %usage of business/personal. so from a tax perspective it makes sense to go contract.

#3 04-12-07 15:56:11

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Im currently on orange. I have a pda handset (windows powered) so I can use excel word etc on it for business. I keep it synced up to my pc and it keeps my diary and contacts and sms backed up.
I am getting 400 anytime any network minutes, 200 txt messages for £30 a month, oh and 2 magic numbers to an orange mobile free any time. This deal meant I could sign up for orange wireless broadband with free calls to uk landlines aytime for just an extra £5 a month.

Think is racoon.

#4 04-12-07 18:32:03

driver69

Thanks howly, had not thought about that.  Tax, something else I am going to have to get my head around  :cry:

Jonny, funny you should mention a PDA, I was considering a Windows powered PDA.  I was thinking of writing my own software for it to keep pupil records and diary all in one program with some other features as well.  Is it easy to use as far as screen size and lack of keyboard?  £30 a month does not seem too bad especially if it can be set against tax.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 04-12-07 19:22:01

ChelmsfordADI
Verified Member

I used to have a PAYG phone and found I was spending about £50 a month on call-time. So, decided to try out a contract. Both on Orange and currently have 100 minutes and 300 texts for £25 a month. The contract is due up at the end of the month so I hope to get a better deal out of Orange or even one of the others to get my business.

driver67]funny you should mention a PDA, I was considering a Windows powered PDA.  I was thinking of writing my own software for it to keep pupil records and diary all in one program with some other features as well.  Is it easy to use as far as screen size and lack of keyboard?[/quote]
I've used a PDA for a few years and wouldn't be without it. Use it for diary, contacts and wrote:

http://www.softmaker.com[/url]) who produce fully functioning software for both Windows and PocketPC. It beats Pocket Word and Pocket Excel in to the ground and I've even replaced the Word and Excel at home with the Windows versions - the files are totally interchangeable with Windows and Pocket PC.

I've developed a couple of small database applications using SprintDB (http://www.kaione.com) to record mileages but haven't got as far as a driving school system yet, but it's on the plans as soon as I get my head around .NET and .NET Framework development.

Carl

Driving Instructor currently working in IT Business Support
BUT looking to return to instructing over the next few months big_smile

DSA Approved Driving Instructor since 1998
RoSPA Gold Advanced Driver

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 04-12-07 20:05:04

driver69

I've developed a couple of small database applications using SprintDB (http://www.kaione.com) to record mileages but haven't got as far as a driving school system yet, but it's on the plans as soon as I get my head around .NET and .NET Framework development.

Carl

I do Windows programming in C++ but have avoided .NET up to now, might give me an incentive to look into it.  I must look at those links as well, could be handy.

Carl what PDA do you use?

#7 04-12-07 20:26:46

ChelmsfordADI
Verified Member

I've done a bit of C++ and recently invested in a copy of Visual Studio 2005 from eBay (good deal) which includes VB.net, C#, C++ etc and the complete .NET and .NET compact framework, SQL server and SQL Server lite (for PDAs etc). Haven't looked at it yet though, it's looks a bit of a beast, taking up 7gb on the hard disk!!!

Carl what PDA do you use?

I use an HP iPAQ hx2110 running Windows Mobile 2003SE. It's obsolete now but it still serves a purpose. I create videos for 2Pass and have created smaller ones to run from the SD card so now I can show videos in the car too, especially of the tricky areas around Chelmsford and basic skills like steering etc. Couldn't be without a PDA now.

Carl

Driving Instructor currently working in IT Business Support
BUT looking to return to instructing over the next few months big_smile

DSA Approved Driving Instructor since 1998
RoSPA Gold Advanced Driver

#8 04-12-07 20:39:25

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

I have the orange spv 3100 (HTC Hermes). It has a slide out full qwerty keyboard and touchscreen. I also use WM2003se. the screen is huge and goes landscape when using the keyboard. It has wifi too. I aslo couldnt do without 1 now.

#9 04-12-07 22:28:42

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Have a look at the T-mobile flext tariffs.

Very good value

#10 05-12-07 05:38:15

AndyBerry

Agree with kaf - T-mobiles flext is excellent value. I've used it for 18 months now on my contract - pay £25 a month, I get £80 credit (bonus £20 when I signed up). So £25 = £60 credit normally, but with current money off, I believe it's £20 = £60, £25 = £90 credit... very rarely go over the limit either

Andy

#11 05-12-07 23:06:58

Russ
Verified Member
Website

with '3'. 600 x network mins 150 txts, £30 new phone every 12 months, not had a problem, now on 2nd contract.

#12 06-12-07 12:32:21

driver69

T mobile does look good, will have to have a closer look. I don`t think 3 is very good in N.Ireland from what I am told.

#13 06-12-07 13:02:16

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

T mobile does look good, will have to have a closer look. I don`t think 3 is very good in N.Ireland from what I am told.

I was on 3 for a while, at the time the 3G coverage isnt good in some of NI so they used o2 as a backup network, and it was constantly switching and disconnecting.  I believe they are using orange now, and their 3G coverage here is far better. The wife is still using 3 and has had less probs lately.

#14 07-12-07 18:55:06

driver69

I like the look of the T-Mobile Vario III on Flext, otherwise known as the HTC TyTN I think.  Anyone have one of these? I would be interested to know what you think.

#15 07-07-08 11:42:33

robertjones207
Verified Member

I like the look of the T-Mobile Vario III on Flext, otherwise known as the HTC TyTN I think.  Anyone have one of these? I would be interested to know what you think.

I don't have any of them but if you are going to a smart phone on a t-mobile contract i would recommend that you get a blackberry.

#16 05-11-08 14:43:07

Bern Roberts
Verified Member
Website

sorry to dig up an old thread... I noticed howly that you said 100% of your contract mobile could be offset against tax. I use mine for business and personal use, and its very hard to believe that they would allow me to chareg the whole of it to my business. If I can't do that, its very hard working out what percentage of the bill is business and what is personal. Anyone got any advice here as to how to deal with your mobile as an expense?

#17 05-11-08 17:04:04

howly
Verified Member
Website

I noticed howly that you said 100% of your contract mobile could be offset against tax

bern, i was surprised when the tax people said that this could be done.  i did challenge the adviser at the tax workshop and she made it clear to me that this could be done.

why not contact your local tax office to seek advice on this, they're usually very helpful.

#18 05-11-08 17:29:08

Disky
Verified Member
Website

T mobile are now doing a deal called SOLO,, loads of minutes and unlimited textsa on most of them for about £20-£30 a month,, i was going to go with them as my deal with 3 is due end of this month,,, the 3 bloke called the other day offered me 750 xnet mins and 150 texts and a new phoine for £15,, which seems to be the best i have found so far.

I also use a PDA, which is an Acer N95, also has built in sat nav, i just changed it to run on tomtom instead of the basic supplied one,, wouldn't be without it now.

Ray

#19 06-11-08 15:38:55

Bern Roberts
Verified Member
Website

I'll have to check it out. My bills before were astronomical... its not such a pronlem now as I'm on o2 £35 /month for loads of free minutes and texts... not been over my quota once smile

#20 06-11-08 17:26:23

KevB
Verified Member
Website

MDA Vario on T- mobile.
£30 per month contract and get £180 worth of calls or texts.

The only annoying thing about T-mobile is that voicemail is outside the price plan.

#21 14-11-08 17:25:10

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Just get an iPhone

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

Board footer