You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 11-11-08 17:44:18

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Civillian Advanced Driving Examiners & Trainers

Following on from another topic, I'd just like to explore something which I hadn't realised:

Why do RoSPA and IAM only use serving and ex-police (and a limited number of specific military) drivers to do their examining for them?

Is this a good reason for civillian instructors to recommend the DIAmond route, or (due to the costs involved) should those ADIs who are members of (and often give freely to) the voluntary organisations push them to accept civillian examiners?

Please keep this one civil (get the pun?!) guys, we actually want a sensible discussion on this one. To encourage safe driving and improving drivers' skills this could actually be an important topic.

11-11-08 17:44:18

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Civillian Advanced Driving Examiners & Trainers

#2 11-11-08 21:01:09

ExAdiNigel

RoSPA do use civilian examiners for some of the corporate delegates.  I think they only use ex-police for the 'charity' tests.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 11-11-08 21:04:35

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

This is the other side to it all.

For the moment, lets stick to the volunteer work. Is there any reason for the volunteer "advanced" driving organisations only using ex-coppers? Should they use civillians in the volunteer work?

I personally feel that they should use anyone who is up to the standard - they're not training emergency response drivers, so I personally feel that the ex-copper thing is irrelevant.

#4 12-11-08 03:07:07

Stephen7738

My view on this is based on past relationships that the big two organisations had with police driving schools,they got together with ACPO and agreed to use police class 1 drivers or Home office cerificated police Instructors,why I dont know.   Now as the years have gone by senior ex police officers have taken up posts within these organisations,and I would say have kept the old boys club going,which it still is to this day.

My feeling is this that the police are still the only ones that train to Roadcraft and are allowed to drive around with certain exemptions,then officers like myself who do many many emergency / pursuit drives and for one reason or another I feel that this is and only this is why they have police past and present testing.

Most police driving schools now are responsible for training a lot of other instructors who in turn go back to there employment,to teach there drivers and to give you an idea of what organisations they teach they are.
1.Fire Service
2.Ambulance
3.Prison Service
4.Customs and Excise
5.SOCA
6.Armed Forces

Perhaps this is why they want police as opposed to civilian but that seems to be how it is,i dont know the answer or how to change it a lot of it is the fact that they can say they are police trained.  Thats my opinion
Stephen

Board footer