You are not logged in.

#1 09-11-08 20:03:17

David1108

IAM Observer training

Hi there, I'm new on here and just could not find anywhere about Observer training so I thought I start one myself.  Now I'm with the Newbury group of the IAM and I'm doing a course to become an Observer.  Now I have been out two times with the training officer and he has had me driving round.  First I can't understand why but I stick with it I think.  I know I learn more any way.  So if you are an observer then please talk to me here so I can then learn some more.  I'm doing the car observer course so if you are on bikes you may not be as good as the car ones.  Many thinks David.

09-11-08 20:03:17

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: IAM Observer training

#2 09-11-08 21:44:56

VandADI
Administrator

Hi David,
There are quite a few very experienced  IAMObservers on this forum, our very own Gizmotime being one of them.  wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 09-11-08 21:47:05

ExAdiNigel

....I'm doing the car observer course so if you are on bikes you may not be as good as the car ones

Are you trying to wind people up here?  Why wouldn't a bike observer be as good as a car observer?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#4 09-11-08 21:49:30

David1108

Well to be the advance test for bikes is going to be different but if I am wrong sorry to be wrong.

#5 09-11-08 22:37:58

Stephen7738

David,I take it that you will be using the IAMs watered down version of Roadcraft that being PYADT,if so,then the basics should be the same you should be doing the basics of the system and getting that right ,once you have mastered that then be going through each chapter in the book,first reading it over then putting it into practise when you go out with your observer.  If you are having problems with understanding what is required or how you should be doing it then you should discuss it with your observer at the end.
But,my experience with some groups of IAM that firstly you dont always get the same observer, and secondly thay all have different ways of approaching the training manual but you will find they will get there in the end.  If you are on Roadcraft then you may find it harder but once you understand it you will improve immensly with it.  Keep going if you have any problems with advice from observers ie conflict in it then speak to either your examiner or a resident police officer who will be able to help you better with the roadcraft book.
Stephen

#6 10-11-08 13:55:32

David1108

In my IAM we have a training officer that does the training for all the observers so I will work with him and enjoy myself.  Also I do understand roadcaft as if I don't then how would I pass the test with a class one police offiicer.  Now I not getting at you or anyone else but in order to understand roadcraft you learn it with the help of someone else.  If someone pays for it then they are going to listen to you.  But I will learn some more and I will then be able to go out and teach it.  If I have questions then I must ask him as I not going to learn anything. 

#7 10-11-08 15:35:52

ExAdiNigel

As you can see from some of the posts on this forum, there can be different interpretations of roadcraft and also, I think you will find, if you ask several different IAM training officers you will receive varying opinions.

Don't follow what your training officer says blindly, ask questions and query things you may not agree with.

Nigel

#8 10-11-08 15:58:20

David1108

Well of course I will ask him anything I don't understand as how does one learn new things or understand them.  You and I need to ask questions about what we are learning and yes I will of course do that. 

#9 10-11-08 16:06:54

daz6215
Verified Member

David as was said on ADUK your knowledge is limited on the subject is it not? So are you really in a position to be advising others?

#10 10-11-08 16:34:39

David1108

I am training to be a observer and I do know roadcraft.  The police made it for themselfs but then ROSPA and the IAM are using it to teach others.  So I do the the Roadcraft book and I read it again and again.  I watch the video and I must understand it as how did I pass a test with a class one police driver.  If I did not understand it then I would a fail my test.  So please lets use the forum to help people to understand advanced driving.  Rospa may have there way of teaching it and the IAM may have there way of training it but there is one thing that makes it right and that's its safe.  Its safe as we take information in, use that information and give information back out again.  We use are eyes to pick up what is happing down the road much more then other drivers.  We can pull up before someone else hurts something.  We can cross a roundabout without going round the left hand area.  We can use are gears to take us round bands in 2nd or 3rd gear as long as we can stop.  Then of course there are lots of others things that into it.  But IAM and Rospa may have different courses and one may be better then the other one but the police made it and we use it for ourselfs in public driving.  So I can tell me what I know as I know what I am talking about.  I am a IAM Advanced driver and good at it and its the police that made the system up. 

#11 10-11-08 16:41:35

daz6215
Verified Member

Whats your definition of advanced David? 5 to 6 hours practicing to pass an IAM test! Advanced means so many things, i would prefer to call defensive.

#12 10-11-08 16:49:05

VandADI
Administrator

David, you are in the company of some very experienced and highly qualified advanced drivers, who hold more than one qualification in advanced driving techniques.  We are here to help not only yourself but other advanced drivers as well.  Take a step back and read what this forum is all about, you will find that most of us are all singing from the same hymn sheet, well, most of the time  wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 10-11-08 16:56:10

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

We can cross a roundabout without going round the left hand area.

As you say - Roadcraft was originally a Police training manual, designed for use in specific emergency response situations.

Straightlining roundabouts is not something which should be encouraged as a standard, it is often used by drivers who are unaware of the dangers of doing so.

I'm not saying that you aren't capable of using the technique safely, but by doing so "advanced" drivers give the impression that this is the "better" way of doing things. This encourages those who observe you doing this that it is right.

I do sometimes personally straightline roundabouts, but not when others are in the vicinity, as it encourages others to do the same - others who may not have the observational ability or attitude to road safety that I have.

(now where was that hymn sheet again?)

There are some extremely well qualified and experienced drivers on here (many of whom shudder at the use of the term "advanced" though by all common standards they most certainly are) who could be a great help to you in improving both your own techniques, and your abilities as an observer.

Please understand that we are not trying to undermine you, but help you to understand that there is a lot more to safe driving (and certainly a lot more to training others) than passing the IAM test with someone who may have no professional qualifications (or even professional experience) in driver training.

Gaining the Class One as a police driver is no mean feat and is something your trainer should be rightly proud of, however it gives no guarantees that the driver uses the correct techniques for civillian driving and is no endorsement of their ability to pass on the correct skills, knowledge or attitude to attain a high level of safe defensive driving.

#14 10-11-08 17:27:45

David1108

Well first if someone was to follow me though a roundabout doing a straightline as you say then let them as if they have a accident on the roundabout then they should have looked into the roundabout.  Plus why would they do it anyway as they see me doing it and think I going to back off this man.  We are all trained to do it right and yes sometimes I don't do it if it's unsafe to do so, if there is a car on the my right its not going to be safe so I don't.  We have to make are own mind up what to do at the roundabout and if someone was to follow what I have done let them, If then have a accident why follow me doing what I do.  If I asked someone to jump into the river would they have to do it? no.  But I will need to teach people how to cut the roundabout the right way as it's part of the test.  But also I will need to let them know if its not safe to do it then don't straightline it.  So it hard to say when to do it as it comes down to what is on the roundabout at the time and if its safe to carry it out.  I can do it most times and if not then its unsafe.  Thats what roadcraft is making us think more about what, when and how we drive. 

#15 10-11-08 17:41:09

ExAdiNigel

....But I will need to teach people how to cut the roundabout the right way as it's part of the test.....

No it's not.  There is no compulsion to straighten a roundabout.  That's not to say you shouldn't do it if it is safe to do so though.

Nigel

#16 10-11-08 18:03:10

David1108

So if I become an observer I can't teach it.  I will teach it as if its part of the IAM test the police will need to see it.  I use the straight across the roundabout three times in the test.  The Police ask me when I would not use it and I said when it was not safe to do it, when a car is on the right hand side.  The IAM teach it and if that is what they want they will get what they wont.

#17 10-11-08 18:08:21

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

The police aren't examining you David, IAM are. There are many police and ex-police drivers in IAM, but you may also find that you have a civillian examiner, observer or trainer, or even an ADI.

Don't confuse the 2, it could have interesting results!

#18 10-11-08 18:18:13

David1108

Ok so if he not the police then how come when I asked the man that take the test about what he done for a living he said he worked for Thames valley police Traffic unit and he ever showed me his card that the police carried.  Now how can someone with a police card be a police office taking a test.  I don't know if ADIs take out people for tests. But sorry to say it the IAM do use the police to test people as I meet another police officer at a meeting.  But I not going to be able to say if ADIs or anyone else do them.  But my test and all IAM tests are done by Thames valley police. 

#19 10-11-08 18:25:07

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Now I'm really unsure.

I presume that by lucky coincidence, your IAM examiner for the test happened to be a police officer.

Could another IAM member please confirm whether IAM are now a wing of the Thames Valley Police?

This would seem to me to be particularly strange.

I would've thought that while you were undergoing your exam, you were with someone acting as an IAM examiner who happened to be an off duty police officer, rather than acting as a police officer.

Otherwise I'm going to be a little more pleasant to IAM examiners from now on, and live in fear of being arrested for insulting and advanced driver.

#20 10-11-08 18:41:35

David1108

Well I know we use a Thames valley police officer as he came to own group meeting.  But I enjoy doing it and I still very good as the training officer of the IAM is checking for 8 weeks.  So I think we can close this now and try to go back to Observer training for both bikes and cars.

#21 10-11-08 18:58:34

VandADI
Administrator

David, some interesting reading for you...enjoy...
http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … 042.0.html

#22 10-11-08 19:00:59

VandADI
Administrator

Well first if someone was to follow me though a roundabout doing a straightline as you say then let them as if they have a accident on the roundabout then they should have looked into the roundabout.

Not a very defensive way of driving though is it? If you are going to do it, make sure it is safe, eg no one around. 

#23 10-11-08 19:06:01

Gizmotime
Administrator

So I think we can close this now and try to go back to Observer training for both bikes and cars.

David, so because you want it, we have to close the discussion and do as you want, ye right.

Right, as I have stated earlier I have been an observer for nearly 8 years now, so I do know what I am talking about.

We do NOT advocate straightlining r/bouts or double de clutching.

The IAM are NOT a wing of The Thames Valley Police, The examiners that the IAM use are either, EX Police Advanced Drivers or they have been a serving Police Officers of the Advanced Driving School.

"But sorry to say it the IAM do use the police to test people as I meet another police officer at a meeting." why do you say this David ??

The IAM do NOT use serving Police Officers to conduct tests, as I have stated above.

I really strongly adbice you to get your facts straight David before you come on here telling us incorrect facts.

As for the Observer course you said you want to do, I would suggest that you do a lot of research first, as in my own opinion from what you have posted on this board, you still have a lot to learn.

If you wish to have a sensible discussion then we are all willing to do that.

Giz

#24 10-11-08 19:09:05

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Giz - are all IAM examiners police drivers (or ex police etc), or are there some civillian IAM examiners these days?

#25 10-11-08 19:11:43

Gizmotime
Administrator

Giz - are all IAM examiners police drivers (or ex police etc), or are there some civillian IAM examiners these days?

Tim,
I have never known anyone but ex police examiners or ex police advanced driving trainers be examinrs.

Giz

Board footer