You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 28-05-08 21:53:59

kevdyas
Verified Member
Website

HMRC Advice Team Workshops

I attended the 'Self Employment' workshop last week and I am at the 'Self Assessment' workshop tomorrow, I would highly recommend them! They have been very helpful and just goes to show "tax doesn't have to be taxing!" - I feel alot more confident following the workshop.

They tell you about registering as self employed, book keeping, what you can and cannot claim for etc. etc.

A couple of the people at the workshop have been previously or even been self employed a number of years and have gone on another to update themselves on the changes which come in at each budget.

The workshops are completely free of charge! More info can be found here; http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/bst/work.htm - Self Employed is a little further down the page. You don't have to of even registered as self employed to attend - so if you're just thinking about it you can still go along and can go as many times as you want.

Kev.

DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Drive iQ Pro Coach
IAM Senior Observer/DIAmond Advanced Motorist/RoSPA - Gold
www.wheelsbydrivingschool.com

28-05-08 21:53:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: HMRC Advice Team Workshops

#2 18-07-08 15:33:18

jonesy611
Verified Member

Even though I'm not registered self employed yet, I went on the "Becoming Self Employed" workshop this morning, and thought it was really helpful. Told me what percentages I could expect to pay to Her Majesty, but (more importantly) what I could claim back. It was only a brief overview (I say brief, was about 3 hours), but I'll be signing up for the "Self Assessment" one when it comes around, definately recommend them

Shame it was free really, otherwise I could have claimed it back....!!! lol

Part 1 17.12.2007 87/63

Part 2 09.06.2008 4/6
Part 3 ......who knows ???
Attempt 1 PST1 February 09 4/2
Attempt 2 PST1 (again) June 09 5/3
Attempt 3 PST 7 24.10.09 4/4

#3 18-07-08 20:52:00

FRANKS
Verified Member

When it comes to TAXATION of any sort I employ my accountant, he paid to know whatI can claim for or not, he deals with the tax man on my behalf.

I've been investicated twice by the tax man and it's not fun. On both occasions I was found to have submitted honest tax returns and owed nothing thanks to my account.

Hope those of you who opt to do it self assessment your self are being honest because I promise you the tax man will find you out if you're not.

Accountants fees are of course tax deductable.

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 20-07-08 21:40:52

howly
Verified Member
Website

Hope those of you who opt to do it self assessment your self are being honest because I promise you the tax man will find you out if you're not.

why do you say this??  are those of us who do DIY self assessments more dishonest than those who pay an accountant?? 

#5 22-07-08 08:45:17

FRANKS
Verified Member

The reason I made this comment is nothing to do with if your honesty.

I've known ADIs who have had two diary's one for the tax and one realistic. Trouble is when I was investigated the TAX INSPECTOR used car service records, fuel records, milage covered, average lesson milage and diary to work out your potential earning. TAX INSPECTOR tried saying I was not declaring enough lessons in my tax return, when I was called in for interview I discovered that they thought I was piggy backing (which is impossible for me to do in a rural area, I also disapprove of piggy backing). and he was not taking in the dead milage to pick up pupils.

Another point the TAX INSPECTOR tried pulling me up on was my home phone usage, first question he asked me about this was, "how many children had I got?" at the time I had got 3 and the eldest was 4 years old, so he had to agree with me that my kids where not on the phone talking to their friends all night.

I've known other business going under after tax investigations because they've been caught out.

So howly, I'm not calling yours or anyone who fills out their self assessment forms out dishonest, far from it. If I can be called in for investigation by tax office any one can. (I pride my self on being an honest trader) And let me tell you it's not a fun experience and goes on for months if not years.

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#6 22-07-08 15:05:06

howly
Verified Member
Website

franks, thanks for sharing that information.

the reason i commented on your previous post was mainly due to my disgust at tax evaders.  when i set up as self employed i was given lots of tips on "reducing" my tax bill - and whilst i'll minimise my tax bill within the law - i think tactics such as not declaring lessons is basically theft.  unfortunately too many people think that robbing the taxman/taxpayers is acceptable.

#7 05-11-08 00:52:11

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Ive decided this year to do my tax return online. I dont really have much of a clue what some of the terms and sections are about.
My accountant rang me concerned I hadnt sent the stuff to tem, and missed the October deadline.  Im maybe wishing I had just got them to do it for me, its seems theres a lot to work out, and Im clueless,

Is there anyone willing to kind of give me a briefing and full talkthrough?

#8 05-11-08 08:04:27

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Jonny - make an appointment with the tax office, they'll do it with you there and then. Usually takes around 45 minutes.

Board footer