You are not logged in.

#1 31-10-08 10:31:10

SteveSAS

LGV Gearboxes

Hi Can anyone explain the difference between gearboxes?

I've had couple of looks at Rigid lorries, one which had 8 gears visibly on stick with switch (Range Changer I believe) & other with only 6 gears visible on stick but switch as well (Splitter Box I Believe) so made it 12 gears in all.
Ok to use either type for Catagory C driving Test??

Thanks

31-10-08 10:31:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: LGV Gearboxes

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 02-11-08 23:10:42

bandb666
Verified Member

as long as it has 8 or more forward gear ratio's it will be ok - so both mentioned will meet test requirements.

easist way to explain them is splitter box ratio will start with lowest ratio being 1st Lo, split to first Hi, change & split to 2nd Lo, split to 2nd Hi etc... till reaching top 6th Hi, whereas a range change gearbox rotio's start more conventional at 1st change to 2nd, 3rd,4th then change range & 1st gear position on selecter becomes 5th, 2nd become 6th etc...

sounds a lot of gears but with block changes driving an unladen vehicle many gears can be skipped.

32228867b788f001d0578227977f51516cfb185f8a8b5a90a373e985.jpg

#3 03-11-08 09:53:10

SteveSAS

Thanks for that explaination, I understand the difference now but think I prefer the way the Range Changer works with a switch to go to the complete next gear rather than Lo & Hi in the same gear lol
Do u have any preference on makes to drive? I've tried a Scania & Merc so far.

Thanks

Steve

#4 03-11-08 10:19:51

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

As I remember it.  Range change or splitter gear sticks may look exactly the same.  As truck engines become more powerful, the manufacturers seem to be moving away from splitter boxes.  I always used to prefer the 16 speed ZF gearbox which could be found in Daf, Man, Mercedes. Volvo used to offer a 16 speed box but I'm not sure if it was the same gearbox.  16 and some 12 speed boxes usually have range change and splitters on them.  6 will usually be a staight conventional H pattern. 8 and 9 speed boxes will usually be range change.

After 10 years or so of using 9 and 12 speed gear boxes, the old 16 speed boxes(range change and splitter) seemed very cumbersome.  The 9 and 12 speed boxes I was using were on Volvo FL10s and FM12s.  If you are going to spend most of your working life on motorways then the 9 speed is plenty.  If, as I did, you do a lot of your work up and down the valleys around South Wales then the 12 speed box is a much better option. 

If you are going to use it as a training vehicle, I don't think it will make a lot of difference which gearbox you go for, as there are so many different types fitted.  The driver will just have to adapt as they go along. You should make sure they know the difference between a splitter and a range change. 

Sometimes especially as an agency driver, you get into a different truck every couple of days.  Even if the truck has all of the same badges on it.  The gearbox may be completley different. If I wern't sure. I'd drive around at a low speed and try the switches to see how they worked and which switch did what.  The gear stick on MAN and Foden trucks look the same. but the switches for split and range gange are opposite.

As for the gear exercise on the test, If you are using a splitter gearbox, you don't have to do splits in that part of the test. 

Just to complicate things a bit further. A lot of manufactureres are producing Automatic gear changes.  I think that is the way they are going to go.  We had some when I worked at Alied bakeries, and the clutches in particular never seemed to wear out.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 03-11-08 10:32:00

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

Do u have any preference on makes to drive? I've tried a Scania & Merc so far

Scanias are nice trucks but the leg room is cramped because of the huge engine cover. Parts are expensive. but thety are good on fuel.

Interbrew were using Scanias, but then switched to MANs. They were very comfortable but were a lot heavier on fuel than the Scanias they replaced.

I find Mercs with conventional gearboxes are not particularly well put together. The gear change feels like they did 20 years ago. They've spent a lot of time and money on their power shift, or whatever they call it. The manal box feels like it came off the shelf.

I like Volvo's myself but you could have 20 drivers in the same room and thet could all like a different truck.

If there are 8 gears shown on top of the stick and a switch on the front, you may find that the range change is operated but hitting the gearstig through a gate. Is this on the Merc?  You'll have the firsr 4 gears, tap the gearstick to the right, you then have another 4 gears.  The switch on the front will be a splitter.  1          3  A range chane with a switch will usually be marked this way.
                                 5          7

2          4
                                 6          8

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#6 03-11-08 14:15:59

SteveSAS

Thanks for great Info,

I have so far tried these Rigid trucks Volvo (8 speed Range Changer with switch on stick) & 8 speed Iveco (8 speed Range Changer that switches by left or right nudge in neutral).
A Merc with conventional 6 speed on stick but with switch on stick to split the box from Lo & Hi.
Was told by the Merc Trainer that u can get away with the 6 gears only for the test as truck powerful enough. Where with the Range Ghange in the volvo & Iveco would need the switch to go to Hi range for 5 - 8 gears.
I prefered the idea of the Range Change rather than the split as seems more confusing what gear ur in lol. After reaching 6 in Lo range whats the next ratio up??
Just trying to find suitable truck for my LGV training & test.

Thanks

Steve

#7 03-11-08 15:12:38

john55
Verified Member

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

#8 03-11-08 15:35:10

SteveSAS

Great Forums, covers evrything there, thanks

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 03-11-08 17:28:56

bandb666
Verified Member

As for the gear exercise on the test, If you are using a splitter gearbox, you don't have to do splits in that part of the test.

The gear change exercise has now been removed from the test.

I was teaching on a 8 speed range change, normal driving would set off in 3rd block change up into 5th then 6 & 7 and that would take you to about 40mph so your mostly only using them 4 gears for town driving.

I would probably say 6 speed splitter is easier for trainiees but maybe not preparing them the same for post test driving.

You can also get splitter & range change on same box, our C+E had 8 speed range chage & splitter giving 16 forward ratio's + crawler & trainees managed that.

32228867b788f001d0578227977f51516cfb185f8a8b5a90a373e985.jpg

Board footer