You are not logged in.

#1 31-10-08 15:16:54

Aslin
Verified Member

Steering For Learners

HI All,

I have got a few learners now on thier 6 -7 lessons but not yet got the hang of steering correclty or turning left or right correctly crossing hands etc

Anybody got any tips on what I could do?

31-10-08 15:16:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Steering For Learners

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 31-10-08 19:23:20

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

If they're controlling the vehicle, don't worry too much at a very early stage.

I let them know what we're looking for eventually, but I don't jump down their throats if they cross hands at first. I'm more concerned that they are capable of steering a safe line every time. Once they've got the hang of this it usually takes half an hour to get them into pull-push. If you try to get them to do it from lesson 1 it will annoy both you and them.

Let them know that if they have an accident their wrist watch will be forced into their face at 200 mph, probably causing permanent disfigurement if they don't make an effort when they should - it spurs them to sort it.

#3 31-10-08 19:38:52

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

If your thinking of buying a steering aid [£40 or so] from driving school supplies, save some money buy a Frisbee it will work just as well. It will cost next to nothing. Thanks to Target who suggested it originally in a previous thread.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#4 01-11-08 11:59:39

MFB
Verified Member

Hi
For a steering aid I actually bought a steering wheel cover - mock leather with a hard plastic hanger to stay on display. It looks and feels just like a steering wheel and cost me under £2 - I got mine from JTF locally but I have seen them in quite a few places for a similar price.

#5 01-11-08 17:37:49

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi All

Just an idea I picked up last year when I did some retraining. How about taking student to an empty car park and practice steering in & out of the parking bays.

That is to say you are crossing from one side of a parking bay roadway to another. You can do oval & figure of 8 type turns, also introduce clutch control for slow speed (zither frame speed smile

I have found it most useful with those who have trouble steering & introducing TIR.

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#6 02-11-08 22:39:29

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

I'm fussy about steering.  If you allow it to be untidy in the beginning, it will cause problems all over the place.

I like the turns to be big. Don't swap from one hand to the other unless you reach 11 o 7 O'Clock with the left hand. 1 or 5 O'Clock with the right.  The hand which finishes steering in either direction, starts the steering in the opposite direction.

Both hands should start moving at the same time. I find that if the you finish steering to the right with the right hand, then start to turn back with your left, the right hand tends to stay still.

You can concentrat on getting your hands to reaching the top and bottom of the wheel but cannot look at your hands or the wheel. 

I take pupils to an area where they can turn all of the way from one lock to the other.  I'll point to various object ( lamp posts or anything that serves as a marker) and get them to look where they want the car to go.  Sometimes, I'll controll the clutch for a short while so they can concentrate on their steering.

Once thy have got the hang of these nice big turns, make sure they are looking where they want the car to go.

If you turn into a new road and allow yourself to look where the car is pointing, you miss the point at which you have to start turning the wheel back. This then leads to oversteering.  If you look where you want the car to go, then your steering will follow your eyes.  It's a skill we have had since we were children.  We use it when we are walking. 

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#7 03-11-08 12:48:23

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Lots of good advice above from Tony, Chris & Tim. I too use a local car park at the village hall.

I differ from Chris in that I am happy if they initially do small regular feeding of the wheel. Its when their hands seem glued to the wheel that you will have problems, if you coax them into extending the feeding movement in the end you get pull/push.

Notice though some of mine who don't steer perfectly initiate the turn by pushing up, so encourage them to start by pulling down.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#8 03-11-08 14:32:58

jonnmedds
Verified Member

Id have to agree with Tim. At the early stages it's more important that they can steer accurately.
When it comes to the pull push technique or learner shuffle as its sometimes known i take them into a car park and control the clutch from my side and let them practice steering each way.

jon

#9 03-11-08 20:41:49

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

I think that if you do big turns, there is more of a connection between what your hands are doing on the wheel and what your eyes are seeing.  I also think that if you do small turns, the hands are too busy figiting on the wheel to be able to opperate the indicators or gear stick.

If the wheel can be cotrolled with the right hand all the way frm 1 to 5 o'clock then the left hand is more easily available to switch from a right to a left indicator, at a roundabout for example.

There are some cases where pushing up to start the turn is ok. If you are exiting a right hand bend then entering a road to the left.  The right hand may as well carry on to the top of the wheel if it already has controll of the wheel.

If you need to steer sharp left as you come to a stop at a give way line, you'll get a bit more of a turn by the time your left hand has to go to the gear stick, if you pushed up to begin the steering.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

Board footer