You are not logged in.

#1 20-03-04 00:38:22

jonks

Getting over bad experiences

I would love to hear from students as to whether there was ever a time during learning to drive where you almost gave up.

I remember learning to drive and remember coming to a point where I was almost scared of the road, i had had a few experiences where I was a bit shaken up and was having a real problem with my hill starts onto roundabouts. I got so frustrated that I gave up for almost a year.

I have never before admitted to this because I believe now that I am an excellent driver, but I found learning to drive really hard. (Oh my god I can't beleive I'm admitting that. nobody tell my Girlfriend!)

Have any of you had similar problems? And if so how did you get past it?

20-03-04 00:38:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Getting over bad experiences

#2 20-03-04 10:41:27

Bob_FOADS

Not quite the same but,
I had problems when becoming an ADI.
My cure was just to force the situation, booked a test in the NEAR future and took all and any training I could. Didn't have time to consider giving up and that did it for me.

#3 13-04-04 21:18:24

awaddington

Jonks - thanks for admitting to times when you found it hard learning.  Encouraging for a learner like me...  (Especially as I consider myself the most nervous learner ever!)

Reversing to the left has been my most challenging - in fact, I came so close to losing my temper one lesson that my instructor actually gave up on it for that lesson!  (Didn't make me quit learning to drive, though.)

Something disconcerting I've experienced since starting to learn to drive is actually dreaming about driving the car on my own, knowing I'm not competent enough.  Am I alone in this? :idea:

Alison.

(By the way, I don't like hill starts, either wink )

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 13-04-04 21:53:30

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Alison,

No you're not alone in dreaming about driving, at least you're not having nightmares!

It's important that pupils develop a mental image of themselves driving a car without their instructor, once that is firmly in place pupils tend to have more confidence and make greater progress than those that '...can't ever see me driving my own car'

Some do this in dreams, others just in daydreams and some through just thinking about it and planning what they will be doing once they have passed.

Dream on!

Regards,

#5 22-05-04 22:34:51

foilerist
Verified Member
Website

This is something i try to encourage in pupils whenever their a bit challenged by a particular part of driving.  I find that by imagining that you're on the road by yourself it will make you more confident, I get pupils to "travel" on a journey they regularly take, if they visualise themselves driving it makes them less dependant on me and more independant.  "seeing" the car from above can sometimes help with the reversing exercises.  I never had difiiculty learning how to drive, I loved it, which is why i'm quite jealous of my new pupils.  Seeing the enjoyment they feel when driving is one of the perks of the job.

Board footer