You are not logged in.

#1 12-10-08 19:06:04

sal160

driving a car fitted with hand controls

i am learning to drive my partners car which is a mazda 1600 auto, i am having my lessons in my partners car with a proper instructor.
the car is fitted with hand controls as my partner uses them i dont of course he has a steering ball fitted to the wheel which does not get in my way and he had hand controls with the indicator fitted to it for him.
i just drive it as a normal car as none of his controls get in my way but i just needed to know if when i take my test will thst be ok still ? there is no way i could have anything removed if i was told i had to ...but it was my instuctors idea to use my own as i was used to it and hasent said i would need to change anything for my test ? so can anyone clarify this for me please

12-10-08 19:06:04

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: driving a car fitted with hand controls

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 14-10-08 21:26:38

johnp
Verified Member

Hi sal,
Pilgrim has alerted me to this posting. (thanks Tony)

There is no problem taking a test on a car equipped with hand controls, but if you use any of them they will be entered onto your licence as being required.
I remove my steering ball in the interests of safety. It can get in the way and be dangerous. Does yours not have a quick release ball which can be removed.?

I can't see how the steering ball does not get in your way.
I remove the panoramic mirror.

It will be difficult to remove the infra red indicator switch if he has one, but do not use them.

I think it will depend on the examiner, but I would definitely remove the ball. I remove mine for every lesson when the hand controls are not being used. It only takes a minute.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

#3 15-10-08 18:46:01

sal160

thanks for the reply
it's not a quick release ball but my partner will take it off for me for the test . and as for the mirror we just have a normal one so that wont be a prob
but like i said i will have to tape the indicator switch which is on the hand controls as i have on occasions knocked it on  :x
so apart from all that things should be ok
i still cant help worrying about taking it in our car lol as like what has been said before ...the instructors are only human (I HOPE ) and they must feel a bit uneasy as they have no dual controls so i just hope things go ok

#4 15-10-08 22:04:03

johnp
Verified Member

sal.

I use a film container. (remember when photos were taken on film? Well I kept all the containers.) The black ones fit over the switch very well.
If you are having difficulty (Gosling adaptations) Then put the container in boiling water and it will slot over and keep its shape.

I suggest you get a quick release one for when you have passed. They are very good and can be removed in a couple of seconds. Much safer.

The modifications we haves to make. I use a Sterodent container for indicator extensions.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

Board footer