You are not logged in.

#1 28-09-08 21:49:05

RhiannonxXx

Duel carriageways

Hiya all,

Got another question for you  big_smile

I learn to drive in Grimsby and the test centre is situated in a place where you must travel on a duel carriageway to get to and from it. It's a 70mph speed limit.

So my question is this ;-

If you are asked to turn right at the next roundabout, when would the best time be to change lanes into the outside lane? Would it be best to do it at the earliest possible chance? Just concerned that you could miss the chance to change lanes, the longer you leave it.

Thankyou x

28-09-08 21:49:05

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Duel carriageways

#2 29-09-08 07:24:31

driverpete
Verified Member

The short answer is "Not too soon or you may find yourself obstructing faster moving vehicles and not so late that you find yourself trapped in lane 1".

In practice this means that you must keep yourself aware at all times of the developing situation and plan ahead for your intended right turn. If it's busy then get over into the correct lane as soon as you find a suitable gap in the traffic; if it's quiet you can leave it later. On test the examiner will take account of the speed limit and the traffic situation and may say something like "In about ½mile there is a roundabout where I'd like you to turn right, 3rd exit". Then it's up to you to plan your approach with minimum inconvenience to others.

Why not ask your instructor to help you practice this roundabout?

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#3 01-10-08 05:49:51

RhiannonxXx

Thanks for your reply.

I've not asked my instructor because i haven't done that lesson yet. I thought i'd get some advice on here to help me prepare better, instead of panicking when the time comes lol

Board footer