You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 10-03-05 16:27:31

beatts

Failed part 3 today!

Hi all,

Failed my part 3 today - 2 2 ! terrible I know!!!!

I just thought I would post details of what happened so that others can avoid doing what I did!

Arrived at test centre and met the examiner all nicey nicey going well, told I was doing PST 2 (move off phase1 and meet, cross anticipate - phase2)

Great!! the one PST I didnt want to do!

Immediately felt under the cosh, because I couldnt remeber how I was to carry out this briefing.

Got in the drivers seat, went throught the welcome formalities - all fine here.

Next couple of questions on previous lesson (controls) no probs here

Didn't set an objective at this point!!!

Also I couldn't remember how or where this briefing should take place re: mirrors etc. So I did a little bit of mirrors at the test centre, then drove to the location to do the rest of the brief, whilst explaining my drive on the way.

I was told at the end of the exam that a couple of points on my drive i.e check nearside mirror before a left turn was carried out incorrectly i.e after the left turn!!! ho hum!!

Anyway at the location, I started explaining the mirrors in more detail, then I realised, hang on he should be sat where I am!!!. So swapped seats. By now ten mins or so had gone so was thinking oh no he is gonna mark me down for too long a briefing.

Basically I rushed through the rest of the briefing - trying to talk him through moving the car off etc, and consequently I missed out valuable points such as ease the clutch up, and squeeze the gas no more than the thickness of a pound coin. :oops:

When I let him try for the first time, he was revving too high, raising the clutch up beyond the bite so the vehicle was moving (with the handbrake on!!!!!) - stopped that, got him to do it properly, and he was away. Far too fast!!! :shock: , tight grip on the steering wheel, first out over the central white lines, then sharply back in towards the kerb then back out again all at high revs with the clutch only partially up!!!! :?

oh my god I thought and had to take over on the dual, whilst constantly trying to correct his steering.

after a few more attempts, each one better than the last (with a few drives along the kerb inbetween!), the half hour was up, never really had a successful attempt, and didnt have an awful lot of control to be fair. Too many mistakes all at the same time, didnt help but I suppose thats what we can expect so I'm not disputing the result of that phase.

He did however mark me down for things that I apparently hadn't covered when I know for a fact that I did, I also forgot to explain how close to the kerb we should stop.

I had around 20 seconds or so before I was asked to start phase 2. Meet, anticapate and adequate clearance. The pupil had 4 weeks to his test.

I asked a few relevant questions, asked him to carry out safety checks etc and we were off. He drove very well - or so I thought!!  roll

I pulled him, on getting too close to cars in front and Q and A'd on this - ok nice work I thought, I questioned him on loads and loads of things (relevant things too!) and he answered all my questions well, I was watching him very closely and he wasn't putting in any obvious mistakes.

On a few occasions that we came into meet situations I asked him 'What do we need to check on approach to this situation?" he replied mirrors and he then checked them, he signalled correctly when applicable, I pulled him a couple of times on anticipation, however he did go through a pelican crossing on the solid amber phase. I mentioned this straight after. Should have got him to stop earlier I know but it was a crossroad junction and not enough space in the middle for two cars so he proceeded anyway.

A couple of meet situations with oncoming vehicles, we maybe should have waited, and it was a little narrow but the truth is, as a driver I would have gone for it too. We managed to get through. When I asked if we should wait to allow this car through, he replied no I can easily get through there, and he did.

At the end of the lesson, I thought I probably had stuffed up phase 1 but was reasonably confident with phase 2 though I may have scraped it.

Upon being told I had achieved a 2 2 and that my core competancies where woeful I was devastated.

The only score I got above a 3 was my communication which was a 6 on both phases.

Q and A on both phases got me a 3

level of instruction, planning and control all a 2

Also every single point under the PST heading was either unsatisfactory or not covered. I really really find this hard to believe. I'm not somebody who is extrovert or feels as though I deserved higher, but I do believe I deserved to fail but not with that score!

All of my core competancies where a 2 also!

All in all the exam itself I felt fine with, after the initial 5 mins of extreme nerves, and the examiners approach to me was excellent and the hour passed extremely quickly.

I now know what to expect in my next test, but I can't honestly think how I can improve my teaching standard by at least double what it is now, especially as my trainer thinks I am as near as dammit!!

Oh well such is life, If it wasn't for these little challenges in life, the world would be a dreary place.

Thanks for your attention if you have read this right through

Beatts wink

10-03-05 16:27:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Failed part 3 today!

#2 10-03-05 21:30:21

luchell

Have you taken out a pink licence? that would perhaps help with lesson structure. i've read in alot of places if you don't really care which pst you get you're ready. Sorry you failed, i'm sure there will be lots of advice popping up to your question.xx

#3 10-03-05 21:41:21

donegalbiddy

Beatts

Too bad, better luck next time, but it made interestiing reading.  I am currently about to go trainee for a bit before attempting my part 3 and thought that on reading your post, gives an insight, as to what they're really looking for.  Keep up the good work, your trainer wouldn't say you were as near as damnit, if you weren't, so take something from this.....We all get nervous.

Whilst reading your post though you quoted that on the phase 2, meet, cross, anticipate, that you would have made it through the space as a driver,  although it was a little narrow, so I think you know you should not have let him proceed here.

Anyway, chin up, keep practising and don't give up wink

#4 10-03-05 23:16:28

steveo
Verified Member

beatts

sorry to hear your news.

but, as has already been stated in a reply to your thread, if there is ANY pst's you think you are not ready for, you are not ready for the part 3 test.

had my 1st attempt on monday this week, pst 9 (part-trained x-roads, trained ped x-ings & use of signals), & passed with a 4-5. think i got a 4 for phase 1 'cos he kept going wide on left hand turns & i missed this a few times to start with, but covered everything else on the pst.

up until i was confident about all the pst's, i didn't appy to take the test. you've got to go up there full of confidence & expect to pass, not be nervous in case you get pst #? (although you can't help nerves, thought i was actually going to be sick when i got to the tc!!!).

are you on a pink? i was for just over 4 months & i don't think i would have ever been ready for the test if i hadn't been on the licence. if you're not, i would seriously consider it. some people don't rate pinks, but if you use one & use it for what it's intended for (ie to aid training, not just as a short term job/money making exercise), it's an brilliant way to gain confidence & experience & help with lesson plans etc. use it to highlight any weaknesses you have & then get as much additional training as you can to cover them.

anyway, don't give up, you'll get there in the end (& it's worth it when you do).

steveo.

#5 10-03-05 23:38:53

pj
Verified Member

always practice the pst you don't like more than any others as you can be sure you'll get it if you don't.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#6 11-03-05 02:38:46

ghamilton39

dont know if this is any  good to you sent you a pm but willing to help you through next test free,just passed part 3 in teesside so you can help me as much as yourself,use my car as its covered and will give you extra along with te school you are with please pm me if i can help.

#7 11-03-05 07:42:21

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hi all

remember guys the current pass rate is 53% non pinks and 47% pink licence holders

dont set too much store by holding a pink licence - as more training establishments refuse to take on PDI's the rate will get higher for non pinks

With the correct training you will pass Pink or not

Even with a pink how do you know you are doing it correctly?? the worse problems I have training are when I get a PDI who has had a pink for 5 months and he has "trained" himself really badly

Bit like a learner going out with parents - you spend time correcting faults

Fine if you are supervised but come on guys (those of you on a pink) how many of you have had 20% supervision since you started??

40 hour week thats 8 hours

Any of you???

regards

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

#8 11-03-05 09:27:09

steveo
Verified Member

hi jeni

as i stated in my reply, the pink has to used properly, ie. with as much additional training as poss. i was on a pink for 4 months & was up at the training school every other week at the most, every week if poss. when i was working on the pink, i was finding any weaknesses i thought i had & then going for add. trg. & working on the points which i thought were weak (with LOTS of advice from my trainers). obviously you do not learn anything when working on a pink, but if it's used to practice what you're taught, for me anyway, i found it invaluable. if a pink is taken & no add. trg. then i agreee, it's a bad idea, but if used properly, can help build up confidence, lesson structure etc.
like i said, just passed p3 this week (1st attempt), so this is purely my opinion, not saying it's right or wrong.
the stats you quote, 47% if on pink, point to the fact that quite a few of these people aren't using the pink for what it's intended for & if that's the case, i agree with you.
just away to put my flak jacket on!!!!!  big_smile

steveo.

#9 11-03-05 14:12:41

beatts

Hi All

thank you for your excellent advice, I admit I thought I was ready purely because I considered myself better than other people who had already done a test (and failed admittedly) whom I know from training.

I felt confident with all the PST's except the 1st two (control I knew I could wing it, move off - ok I genuinally should have spent more time on this one).

I think my problem has been for phase 1 most of my instruction has been on getting the briefings correct, I can honestly say I hav'nt done THAT much on the road control at this stage. I accept my attempt at this phase on the exam was poor, and could have been much better. But I felt he was driving so bad - with so many faults that no way would I ever have the chance to get in a controlled stop, never mind getting him to move off. therefore I rushed the whole exercise.

I have done more at phase 2 level on the road but obviously I am lacking somewhere.

Oh well back to the drawing boards

thanks again

Beatts wink

#10 15-03-05 00:16:00

yeah_and_man

Hi mate, I failed my part 3 first attempt on wed 9 march. I know how you feel. I had pst 1 and scored 5/2. I honestly thought I passed, but I took for granted minor inconsistent faults by the examiner, they were minor 1off faults and I didnt want to nit pick. Next time I will be looking for no less than perfect driving from the examiner. Dont take the phase 2 for granted, if the examiner drove like he did on a learner test he would of passed, but I still failed. Next time look for perfection, I know I will. I'm just recovering from the shock now. Better luck next time.

Board footer