You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 10-09-08 22:06:46

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

My mother's buying a car!!!!

Got an email off her this evening and this is part of what it said:

"A Clio caught my eye, as it was 4 years old and 4,995 pounds, so I took it for a test drive (in the inevitable rain!).  Rather nice and it ran very well, but it's black and shiny and smart looking, so I can't see it loaded up with gardening stuff somehow!  However - it had "16 valve" on the side, which made me think that this is unusual, although the salesman said that most new cars these days have 16 valve engines.  If so why have it emblazoned on the side?  Was he telling porkies?  What is the difference?  More petrol consumption?  More racey?  More efficient?"

Now I know bog all about cars so can anyone here help??!!
Cheers

10-09-08 22:06:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: My mother's buying a car!!!!

#2 10-09-08 22:27:34

mike@d4q
Website

Very basically, every engine has to have some way of getting fresh air and fuel into the combustion chamber so it can be burnt and then a way of getting it out and into the exhaust system. The vast majority of engines, including the Clio use valves (which open and close at different times) to do this. There has to be at least two per cylinder (or combustion chamber if you like), one inlet valve and one exhaust valve. To improve engine efficiency nearly all manufactures now fit four valves per cylinder, two inlet and two exhaust. The Clio you mention will have four cylinders therefore sixteen valves. The reason it is printed on the side is because they cant think of anything better to put there!!!!

ADI, Fleet, Skid Car, 4x4 Instructor.

#3 11-09-08 07:41:50

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

lolololol

thanks for that!

#4 12-09-08 00:46:15

dog
Verified Member

Back in the 90's I think having 16 valves was supposed to be something for young lads to boast about, since the majority of 4 cylinder engines only had 8 valves (2 per cylinder).

The advantage of 16 valves over the traditional 8 was less restriction I believe, having 2 valves for intake and 2 for exhaust per cylinder rather than just a single valve for intake and a single valve for exhaust lets you get more air in and more exhaust out during the combustion cycle.

A lot of cars have "16v" stickers or badges on them, in the same way some cars have stickers/badges on them advertising the fact that they had ABS, dual airbags etc.

16v is really the norm for most petrol engined cars since the year 2000 (except for under 1200cc as it's not really needed). A lot of cars even have more - my friends Seat Ibiza has 5 valves per cylinder - so 20 in total. A number of cars which share the same engine also have the same - such as the turbocharged Golf GTI, VW Passat, Seat Leon, lots of Audi's etc.

Then some of the bigger engined cars have 6 valves per cylinder, so 24 in total. The Audi A8 has a V6 (6 cylinder engine) with 7 valves per cylinder, so 42 in total.

And finally the Bugatti Veyron, with its 16 cylinder engine, has 4 valves per cylinder, so 64 in total.

Board footer