You are not logged in.

#1 06-09-08 10:28:26

jo

Failed my test, need some advice

Hi again everyone.  I failed my first test a couple of weeks ago, 1 serious and 9 minors.  The examiner gave me 3 minors for road positioning and said that I tend to drive too close to the white line in the middle of the road.  Since then I have been practising but still seem to find it hard to get to the correct driving position.  Can anyone offer any advice on this or give me any tips for maintaining the correct position?  Everyone keeps telling me to look straight ahead on the road when I'm driving, but what exactly is it that I am supposed to be looking at, I'm blowed if I know!  Thanks for any advice.

06-09-08 10:28:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Failed my test, need some advice

#2 06-09-08 10:40:47

Shazzer

My instructor said that the white lines should be disappearing into the bottom right corner of the windscreen, and you're in the right position. There are often faint tyre marks on roads too, follow them. Obviously if the road is wide you do not need to be as far across!

#3 06-09-08 11:52:20

may
Verified Member

Do you wear glasses or have any eyesight problems? this sometimes means you can end up too far near the white line/kerb.

do you look at the white line or the road ahead? sometimes when you look at something you will end up next to it.

the reference above won't work in every car because seating position/cars are all different.

If its none of the above i tell my pupils to sit their bum on the dry/dark bit in the middle of the lane or ask your instructor to sort it out and get you a good position and the feel of a good position.

#4 06-09-08 12:29:29

jo

Thanks for your replies.  I don't have any eyesight problems that I am aware of, I don't wear glasses.  I think, possibly, I might be focusing on the white line when I'm driving so maybe this is why I'm not positioned properly.  I'll have a look for the dry/dark bit in the middle of the lane next time I go out for a drive.  Am not having lessons with an instructor so relying on family for advice. 

#5 06-09-08 13:16:38

JLS
Verified Member

Your hands will steer to where your eyes are looking.ie. if you look at the verge or kerb, you will drift that way, if you look at the centre lines in the road, you will end up hogging the middle of the road. Therefore,to maintain a good position any road,look at the width of the road, divide it in half and drive looking ahead,at the CENTRE of your half of the road. As already mentioned,there is often a dark line which vehicles wheels straddle on the road, look at this shadow, sometimes it is a wet line, or a dusty line. When driving in Lanes on a Dual Carriageway,again, look at the shadow or line in the middle of the lane, not the white lines.
Always look well ahead,not only will this keep you in the normal driving position, but it will also enable you to spot early, any possible hazards,giving you more time to decide how to deal with them!
Hope this is usefull, good luck with your next test! JLS

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 06-09-08 19:53:43

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Yes, I agree with JLS

Where you may be looking are on-coming cars so as you look rather than glance it may be the cause of you drifting towards the middle of the road ( right of your lane )

See if that helps
Si

Part 1 Passed Nov 8th 04 - 1st Time
Part 2 Passed Apr 20th 05 - 2nd Time
Part 3 Passed Mar 23rd 06 - 2nd Time

http://www.rimmersdrivingschool.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 06-09-08 22:01:16

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Agree with the above...if u are focusing on the white line then u will drive to it.

My instructor said that the white lines should be disappearing into the bottom right corner of the windscreen, and you're in the right position. There are often faint tyre marks on roads too, follow them. Obviously if the road is wide you do not need to be as far across!

Exactly how i teach shazzer, also if the car in front is central use them as a guide, the darker tarmac in centre of road (some call it the oil slick where tarmac is less worn) aim for that to be under the centre of your car

#8 07-09-08 00:52:45

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Sorry to disagree with my learned friends, but if you are using the centre lines as your driving position reference then on wide roads you will be too close to the centre of the road.

The reference point should be the kerb.

I tend to get people to look ahead and imagine that the car in front is a door's width from the kerb (following other vehicles is not a great idea - they're often all over the place). Given a little time it is relevantly simple.

If a reference point is necessary I get people to stop the car a doors width from the kerb on a straight road and ask them if they can find a reference point. We then set off in a straight line trying to follow this same point.

Taking some lessons would be advisable and would give you techniques which you could practise while out with your family.

#9 07-09-08 12:53:12

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Just to clarify with tim above....kerb is always the first point mentioned then on normal roads use the white line as a back up reference...sorry to mislead was rushing to post!

Also i get them into the correct postion then get them to do door mirror checks and see how much gap tween kerb/white line they can see...usually looks like 1" in the left/right mirror

#10 13-09-08 18:17:20

mbn421

I fail all my theories I take!

Board footer