You are not logged in.

#1 12-08-08 19:50:32

robertjones207
Verified Member

Help

Hi all,

I have had a couple of days part 3 training, i am enjoying it and working hard at it but i seem to have a little problem.

I feel i am looking at the road too much and not at my trainer (Role playing as the pupil). Whenever we are doing an exercise i feel that i am paying too much attention to the road and not to any potential mistakes that the pupil might make.

Is there anything that anyone can suggest to help me.

I also have a little problem with the controlled stop where i feel i am looking at the feet of the pupil to make sure that they are using their feet correctly and i don't feel i am looking closely at any other mistakes that the trainer can put in.

i know that practice makes perfect and i know myself how much work i need to put but if anyone can give me some pointers then it would help me on my next training session

Thanks

Robert

12-08-08 19:50:32

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Help

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 12-08-08 20:08:34

Mat_Leeke
Verified Member
Website

When I ask the pupil to do something I ask and look at them just before I ask the question and watch them until they have done the necessary checks etc. Same with the emergency stop. I look at there eyes then work down to the pedals, quickly obviously. I find the hardest bit is watching them on the move tbh

DSA Approved Driving Instructor (car)

www.adi-mat.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 12-08-08 20:31:43

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

I feel i am looking at the road too much and not at my trainer

Alter your seat/seating position. Make more use of peripheral vision. Scan further up the road, you should know the next thing your going to be dealing with before the pupil is aware of what your dealing with at the moment  wink

I also have a little problem with the controlled stop where i feel i am looking at the feet of the pupil to make sure that they are using their feet correctly

You should be able to tell by feel if they're using feet correctly. Do the exercise yourself, properly and with various faults (clutch far too early etc) so you get used to the feel of the car.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#4 12-08-08 22:09:31

driver69

At the start I found it hard not to look at the road, it goes against your instinct as a driver but remember your trainer will not crash the car so you can afford to watch him closer than you would a learner.  As Mat says start watching him as soon as you give an instruction that really helps.  When emerging from junctions for example watch him to make sure he has done everything he should then have a quick look just as he starts to move.  I found at the start I was doing the looking at junctions and not seeing what the pupil was (not)doing.

As for the ES, you can pickup quite a lot from the feel of the car, such as taking feet of the brake, your peripheral vision can pickup things like lifting his foot and stamping on the brake.

#5 16-08-08 17:12:56

Dux
Verified Member
Website

This was one of my major faults when I started, I'd give the instruction to my trainer, then look where we were going instead of at her, it wasn't until she actually stopped the car and demonstrated to me what I was doing that I understood, it was a valuable lesson for me. Next time you're training just try giving the instruction and then watch what your trainer does, you might overdo it a little at first, but you'll soon get in the habit of giving the instruction, then watching the pupil, then a quick look to make sure all's safe, don't worry it something you get better at over time.

The emergency stop is similar, my first experience of it was that I wanted to look to make sure the car wasn't going to hit something, rather than at the pupil, but do it a few times and you'll soon get into the routine of watching the pupils, eyes, hands, feet, then a quick check in front yourself, after you've done the neccessary safety checks prior to giving the command of course smile

Part 1 Passed April 07

Part 2 Passed June 07 3 Minors

Part 3 Delayed Success 05/12/07    3-3

Part 3 Passed 20/02/08      5-5

Diamond Advanced Driver 03/06/08

www.polepositiondrivertraining.co.uk

#6 03-09-08 21:36:38

Jaemey
Verified Member
Website

Something I always use to help me is the acronym L.O.T. Which stands for;
Locate....
e.g. Your instructor asks you to instruct him to take the next road on the left, you should locate the junction and assess it quickly. Look for the usual problems that arise when dealing with junctions.
Observe...
e.g. Direct your attention now to your "pupil", anticipating any faults he might make in relation to the problems you may have seen at the junction ahead.
Tell.........
e.g. Tell your "pupil" that you want him/her to take the next road on the left. Depending on what phase your pupil is, and how many times he/she has turned left will dictate what your level of instruction would be. So from the Observe part of L.O.T. your attention is 90% on your pup.

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

www.passexpress.co.uk

Board footer