You are not logged in.

#1 02-09-08 14:30:38

rooster
Verified Member

Stopping Distances -

Does anyone else find that referring to the Overall stopping Distances, (Thinking and Stopping), totally unmanageable?

Do you memorise them somehow?

Do you use the Vehicle Lengths equivalences?

If I can't make sense of them - how can I instruct a pupil, (the SE), when they are relevant?

(Would it be a cheat to turn to the relevant page in a book?)

:?

02-09-08 14:30:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Stopping Distances -

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 02-09-08 14:49:02

keefidee
Verified Member
Website

Hi Rooster,

I am showing my age here, but I always refer to them in feet rather than metres.

Thinking distance is always the same in feet as their speed in mph. ie. 20 mph = 20 ft thinking distance. 30 mph = 30 ft thinking distance etc.

Overall stopping distance starts with;
20 mph x 2    = 40 ft
30 mph x 2.5  = 75 ft
40 mph x 3    = 120 ft
50 mph x 3.5  = 175 ft
60 mph x 4    = 240 ft
70 mph x 4.5 = 315 ft ( incidentally, this is very roughly the length of a football pitch)

Braking distance is stopping distance less thinking distance.

Hope this helps.

Keith

#3 02-09-08 15:06:29

rooster
Verified Member

Great,
Tx Keefidee - just shows that there was no logic in going metric! smile

Board footer