You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 25-08-08 15:29:52

Target
Verified Member
Website

Finding the right balance - Im still struggling

Just curious as to how you find the balance between pleasure and business.

Ive done alot to change it recently, one thing ive managed is to drop weekend working, I only take on FLH work, nothing permanent.

Yet come this B/H weekend my Saturday and Sunday was package with personal stuff, which is great but then the phone messages or emails are not replied to. B/H Monday then becomes a rush to get business jobs done. This morning I was out cleaning the car, not a great clean but still 90 minutes work.

One option for some is that you choose the Franchise route, but even then, the franchise is not going to clean my car, nor repair the tyre yesterday I got fixed, or swap my lessons around and make adjustments. The work still needs doing. As we know this also costs money, so less profits.

Im happy to work the hours, yet there seems to be a freshhold around 35 hours, that once its broken I cannot keep up the same standards - or lets say its very difficult finding the balance. Its ok being busy from 8 til 8 but when are the other jobs done.

Im not fortunate enough to rely on my wife doing everything at home. She works her own 50 hour week, so we try to share the chores.

So how or what do you do to balance a reasonable income without turning your job into a 24/7 career.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

25-08-08 15:29:52

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Finding the right balance - Im still struggling

#2 25-08-08 17:53:44

Mutley
Verified Member

I had a problem a couple of years ago when i was working most evenings and weekends, as a result would hardly be at home.

Suddenly it dawned on me that do i 'work to live or live to work',money isn't everything.

I decided that i would only work 1 evening/night per week, only average 5-6 of tuition per day and only work Saturday mornings.

Being fairly strict with myself and blanking out parts of my diary helps, as well as getting my students to fit around me!

I also find that after about 5.5 hours i cannot maintain the same standards.

DSA Grade 6 Adi,IAM Masters and Senior Observer,RoSPA Gold,Local Authority Fleet Trainer and Assessor, NDAC on Road Trainer.

#3 25-08-08 19:15:22

Target
Verified Member
Website

Thanks.....Evenings are not a problem as such, because the wife works 3 evenings till 10 pm - needs must and all that. If we dont do the hours, we go under basically.

Evenings at the moment make up 10 hours of my income.

What im trying to do is push for more earlier lessons, yet this is periodical. Sometimes you get a batch of pupils all wanting the morning, then you get a batch who can only do afternoons.

The downside to this is I do not get the time in the mornings, theres extra travelling time to lessons, and pupils will sit in traffic, if I cannot afford to school runs.

Oddly enough I get very few who actually really want the weekends. They would take it, but some prefer to do it mid week.

Last week was an exceptional week with 45 hours, yet no time to do the office work and thats spilled over into the weekend.

The busier I get the more pupils I take on, the more pupils I take on the more work is involved.

Its been a stressful time thou...Recently the old car was collected the new car delivered and the lettering all arrange in one week.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#4 26-08-08 04:26:21

la.monikita
Verified Member

I don't clean the car, I let someone else do it for a £10 in/out-fantastic.

I accepted the job for what it is and I'm flexible, but I work to live.

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#5 26-08-08 08:03:45

Target
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for ALL the replies.

I guess now with the new week starting I dont have to worry about free time.

Its great that you both work to live, Im not looking to kill myself in the process, yet there is a minimum number of hours needed, the job can be a pain without that regular income balanced across the year, so you are in effect working more hours now to cover costs later.

I too use a car cleaning place they charge £10 and do a really good job inside and out, then I keep the car as clean as poss between times.  Funny you saying that because I was ridiculed by some idiott on another forum for saying the very same thing, yet clearly it does mean you get to spend more time perhaps even just relaxing.

I was hoping to read a more balanced approach and perhaps some ideas. Hey ho back to the grind stone

Things can only get better as they say.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#6 27-08-08 15:31:36

HereComesTrouble

Yep, agree about paying someone else to clean the car. Mine gets done by some Polish guys at the local drive and shine place. I pop it in, wait 15 minutes and it shines on the inside and is hoovered on the outside.......

Hang on, thats not right! big_smile

#7 30-08-08 10:48:33

Carlo
Verified Member

Bit of a difficult one Target sad.  If you NEED to work the hours then obviously more time is required both in the car and in the office.  Bit of a vicious circle going on.

In regards to balance (play/work time) well unfortunately I don't have that problem.  I started up by myself 18months ago and am struggling to even hit the 25hr mark! sad.  However, when the hours occasionally creep up, I know how you feel about keeping onto of things without it cutting into play time.  The only thing I find that helps is being super organised (I'm not saying your not).  Deal with all messages/calls etc as you go.  I find it easier than trying to deal with them all in one go.  Try and keep on top of things so that they don't end up cutting into your time smile.

Again this is all easier said than done when your diary is full.  I've accepted that certain things will need to be sorted "out of hours" (basic car maintenance, car wash etc).

All this being said though, I entirely understand where your coming from.  There is alot more work involved in this game than just teaching people to drive sad.

"It's easy when you know how!"

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 31-08-08 16:20:53

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Yep, agree about paying someone else to clean the car. Mine gets done by some Polish guys at the local drive and shine place. I pop it in, wait 15 minutes and it shines on the inside and is hoovered on the outside.......

Hang on, thats not right! big_smile

Nobody esle lays a sponge on MY car...................................OK I'm anal   :angel:

Board footer