You are not logged in.

#1 18-08-08 18:13:38

driver69

A suggestion to improve DTT

Is it possible to have the spell checker automatically correct the spelling of manouvre? or is it manuvre, no maybe it`s manoover. big_smile

I am tired having to spell check or look up the word and I am don`t seem to be the only one who can`t spell manoeuvre. Since it is such a common word I thought it might be worth while  smile

18-08-08 18:13:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: A suggestion to improve DTT

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 18-08-08 21:17:30

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Is it possible to have the spell checker automatically correct the spelling of manouvre? or is it (ii) manuvre, no maybe it`s manoover. big_smile

I am tired having to spell check or look up the word and I am don`t seem to be the only one who can`t spell manoeuvre. Since it is such a common word I thought it might be worth while  smile

I've found 3 versions:
(i) "manoeuver" (Eng/Can, non-standard)
(ii) "manoeuvre" (Eng/Can)
(iii) "maneuver" (US)

The best spell checker I've used is the Google one available for FireFox (it accepts (ii) & (iii) above)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#3 23-08-08 17:31:41

VandADI
Administrator

Hi Driver67,
I have checked the SMF customization site for any updates on the spell checker but it would appear that the spell checking system in place already is the best you are going to get for this type of forum.

#4 24-08-08 00:14:58

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I don't think I've seen a spell checker anywhere which will automatically correct a word without asking first (not counting some word processor options which can automatically capitalise and stuff like that) but someone might correct me on this.

I use Google's spellchecker (google "Google toolbar" to get it, available for IE & FireFox) because it's faster and uses less mouse clicks than the type usually supplied with forum software. It doesn't open a separate window but spellchecks right inside the original dialogue box.
Occasionally if I'm not sure of a spelling I'll type in something close to it then quickly spellcheck it to get it correct.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#5 24-08-08 13:47:45

dog
Verified Member

Either get Firefox (has built in spell checker) or get Google toolbar (has built in spell checker). smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 24-08-08 14:41:04

driver69

manouvre

Either get Firefox (has built in spell checker) or get Google toolbar (has built in spell checker). smile

Nice dog, who`s a good boy?  big_smile

I didn`t even know Google Toolbar had the facility and I have been using it for years, DOH!  Problem solved.

VandADI, I appreciate your going to all that trouble.

Now I`m gonna go play with the Google Spellchecker and see if it knows how to spell manoeuvre. Does that look like the correct spelling? If so then it works.  smile

Board footer