You are not logged in.

#1 02-08-08 17:19:02

evanadi

Feeling like you are not as good as your mates at learning to drive

This topic comes up so many times in my car and I bet in the cars of many of the instructors throughout the country.

Pupils who feel that they are not as good as their friends, partners, mums or dads when it comes to learning to drive.

Much of these feelings are derived from tales told to them from people who have passed their test, and in some cases have passed their test many years ago.

Its very important that you don't listen to a lot of the myths and tales you hear about learning to drive, in particular be careful about listening to how many hours it has taken people before passing their tests. In many cases people will be a little conservative with the truth about themselves, in some cases they will not remember exactly how many hours it took them and will pick a figure out of the air.

It is also worth remembering that many people who have been driving for years, passed a test which was not as tough as todays test, on roads that were a lot less busy.

The problems for pupils is that if you listen to much to these stories, you eventually start not believing in yourselves and this can be a major knock to your confidence.

Remember that your learning experience is yours and has neither bearing or significance to anyone else's experience, resign yourself to the fact that you will learn at your own pace and pass your test when you are good and ready.

Hope this will help some of you out there. Ev wink

02-08-08 17:19:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Feeling like you are not as good as your mates at learning to drive

#2 02-08-08 22:40:52

neil8181
Verified Member

Very good point Ev!

You hear SO many pupils saying "my Dad says, it only him him 0.00001 hr lesson"(slight exageration, but you get my point). What you have to remember is that this what they had with an Instructor. Back then many were taught by mums, dads, grandads, uncles etc...

Am I right oldies?

Approved Driving Instructor
DSA Grade 6 Fleet Registered
A1 Assessor
NVQ Level 3 in Driving Instruction
Ambassador for BRAKE
ROSPA Gold

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 02-08-08 22:57:00

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

This topic comes up so many times in my car and I bet in the cars of many of the instructors throughout the country...Remember that your learning experience is yours and has neither bearing or significance to anyone else's experience, resign yourself to the fact that you will learn at your own pace and pass your test when you are good and ready...

Not just in your country Ev!
It's a considerable problem here where we run on a subsidised log book system, many ADIs "sign-off" their students as soon as possible in order to become popular (And it certainly works for them. Shame about the under-trained novice drivers deliberately put at risk).

This is what I wrote in the FAQ section of my web site under the question "How many driving lessons will I need?"   http://www.drivingnt.com/faq.html#Q13

Note: learning to drive is an individual activity. It does not serve any purpose to compare your rate of progress with anyone else, there are far too many variables to make a meaningful comparison.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#4 03-08-08 07:30:21

DampDog
Verified Member

For some there's an un-learning process too. After years of sitting in with dad, perception of speed, safe clearances, attitude to other road users can affect the learning process. this can and does vary how long it takes the individual to learn.

On occasion it feels like your teaching two people to drive. The pupil who's doing their best to deal with all the new experiences and learning, then  mum, dad, or uncle bob, whoevers filled (filling) their head with unreasonable expectations.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 03-08-08 09:23:29

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

...You hear SO many pupils saying "my Dad says, it only him him 0.00001 hr lesson" (slight exaggeration, but you get my point). What you have to remember is that this what they had with an Instructor. Back then many were taught by mums, dads, grandads, uncles etc...

Yes you are right Neil, it's one of our biggest frustrations.
It's not just that dad Mum Uncle etc had it easier back then, it's also that their memory is being very selective as well!

...Am I right oldies?

BTW Neil, I'm only 58 going on 59 this December, so I hope you don't mind a youngster like me putting in his 2 shilling's worth?

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#6 20-08-08 17:44:09

koolchick

I must of been worst not the demanding type b ut over keen I was asking my ADI how long it would be before I was test standard in my 1st few lessons. I was told at least a year of lessons (I had never driven before and could not get private practice) but I was still over keen and hoped to pass before xmas 06 I started lessons on 30th May 06. After not even booking a test til May 07 my next aim was to pass before a year of 1st lesson which put far too much presure on me to pass 1st time so ended up failing. Next I wanted to pass before my 21st birthday in July 07 I had 2 more tests before it failing both so decided to try to pass before xmas 07 which I did on 27th September 07.

One thing I read a lot here that I wasn't like is that people expect to pass without taking regular lessons. I would have as many lessons as I could and never once canceled a single one I hated ADI having to cancel lessons aswell but understood when they did.

#7 30-08-08 07:36:05

robinsamuels
Verified Member
Website

I think that part of the problem is that pupils use the number of lessons to assess their instructor.

The number of times we hear that their old instructor was just doing lessons for the sake of the money is amazing. I always tell my pupils on their first lesson that as soon as they are ready, I will tell them but that I will not let them use the car for test if they want one too early. I've only ever had to let a pupil go elsewhere once because of this policy. I explained that she wasn't ready, she insisted on booking a short notice test and I told her that as she clearly didn't trust my judgement and thought I was only taking her lessons for the money, I wouldn't take any more of it at all. I got 3 new pupils from people who she complained about this to, they preferred to have an instructor who was honest with them.

Also, parents don't seem to realise just how busy the roads have become over the last 15 - 20 years. I was looking at an old film of me as a small child in Southampton, running around next to one of the main roads, there was virtually no traffic passing and this was less than 40 years ago. I heard on the radio that the number of registered cars in the UK has doubled in the last 18 years. What about all the cars which are on the road illegally and the million plus that are foreign registered?

Finally, I really do believe that the standard the DSA is now looking for is approaching that needed for an IAM pass. If a pupil passes with less than 4 or 5 faults, I'm sure that IAM would not be beyond them. I sat in the back on a test a couple of years ago with a pupil who had taken 2 hours a week for 2 and a half years due to really bad nerves. It was like sitting in on a police demo drive, without the commentary. She got 1 fault for a stall when her foot slipped-off the clutch while stationary in traffic (handbrake on) and I'm sure to this day that the examiner just didn't want to give her a clean sheet!

When it gets to the stage of sadobestionecrophilia, give up: Otherwise known as flogging a dead horse!

http://www.robinsdriving.co.uk

Board footer