You are not logged in.

#26 21-10-07 17:48:20

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Re: Trainee Licence

Hi

Just to say, my 17 year old was great today. I got him to practise pull push on steering wheel cover before setting off. He is half way there now, he is pulling but not pushing properly but at least we have made some progress. He also got up a gear and his clutch work was much better than last week. That chuffed look on his face was a picture. Ahhh bless!

See you soon
SANDRA PDI XX

Part 3...April 10th.... 2-2      Delayed success
Part 3...June 22nd......4-3     Delayed success
Part 3...Nov 09th ... 3-3        Delayed success

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!

2nd time around...

Part 1... Passed March 07   1st time
Part 2....Failed March 07
Part 2....Passed May 07
Part 3....Failed Jan 18th 08
Part 3....Failed March 08
Part 3....I think its all over.... IT IS NOW!  Failed oct 08

21-10-07 17:48:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 21-10-07 20:47:54

jaspersplace
Verified Member

Here's a thought.

Some pupils, when being asked to focus on push-pull, just don't get it and quickly become disheartened, as you've already discovered. In these circumstances I continue with progress ie have a go at turning left  from major to minor rd. Your pupil will have a lot to do just getting their head around MSM, but as long as they steer the car safely around the corner using whatever method they can ie crossing hands then I would accept that.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you spend a lot of time getting each piece completely correct then your pupil will become demoralised and just move on to another school.

Get them safe, get the car under control, get them aware of space & potential danger and then review the detail. You'd be surprised at how quickly technique just happens without you having to force it.

Good luck and keep on enjoying the teaching.

#28 22-10-07 05:40:59

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Thanks for that advice jaspersplace. I understand what you are saying but I must explain that this lads left turns were awful, due to not steering properly. In a very quiet area, he swung to other side of the road every time he turned because of the way he was holding wheel, so it needed to be sorted asap. Now he has got it half right, I will just carry on with normal lessons and as you said, hopefully just watch him just find his own way. 
There is a lot to learn for me and its great to get invaluable advice from this site.

Thanks again
Sandra PDI x

2nd time around...

Part 2....Passed May 07

#29 04-11-07 04:16:16

peckerup
Verified Member

get em to do turn in road exercise over and over as it covers all aspects of driving. think about it, steering right. steering left. clutch control. braking. use of handbrake. observations. use of gears.
labour at it and you will win.

colin. 

#30 04-11-07 14:40:27

Karenadi
Verified Member

Don't forget too Sandra, that steering by whatever method the wheel is turned, is linked directly to where they are looking: if it was all over the place it'd be more down to him looking where the car was going rather than where he wanted it to go than whether or not he crossed his hands.

Like Jasper says, sometimes it's better to turn a temporary blind eye if they can't get it - give them something obtainable - you can always come back to it later on.  Making a big issue of something can make it a big issue if you get my meaning.

I reckon you always need to find something they've done well on a lesson - no matter how bad it's gone: even if it was just shutting the door when they got in the car.

The s h 1 t sandwich is essential at debrief! tongue

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#31 04-11-07 15:23:26

driver69

The s h 1 t sandwich is essential at debrief!

tongue

I like that one.

#32 09-11-07 18:21:01

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Hi all
Just an update:  All of my pupils( and I can still not believe I have my own real pupils) are doing brilliant. I am so proud of all of them, and proud of myself for teaching them and keeping them happy with themselves...

All good stuff but now I have a bit of a challenge on my hands with new pupil. Lets call the pupil X. Well X has had about 15 lessons 3 years ago. I have done 3 lessons so far, the first being very scary, the second little less scary and the third tonight I started to feel that I was losing it for the first time since on pink.

X has got major problems with positioning. X is litterally all over the place while driving. First lesson all I did was grab the steering wheel. Was going to the right towards middle of road then too far to left shaving and near kerb. I have explained dangers and X fully understands them. I have tried getting them to hold wheel more 10 to 2, lighter grip, look where they are going but nothing seems to work.

Tonight X has had a few little bouts of driving straight, then it all goes to cock again. I even had x driving with one hand (on quiet straight road) and its perfect, also good driving past parked cars. Seems like the more space they have, the worse the position.
Tonight, X said she  was happy with a little progress and realises that it will take time.  I was feeling very frustrated as x just could not do what I was asking.. am I being too inpatient?  It felt a bit like part 3 when it all goes pear shaped and I am losing control.    Any tips please, it is a pupil I dont look forward to teaching, but I dont want to feel like that as in the future I am bound to get difficulties like this, maybe because other pupils are doing good, I just expect too much and think that anyone can pick anything up easily.

Thanks for your advice

Sandra PDI X

2nd time around...

Part 2....Passed May 07

#33 09-11-07 18:54:36

Karenadi
Verified Member

Bet she's looking at the head lights of the cars coming towards her!

#34 09-11-07 19:30:48

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Never thought of that one karen, she reckons she is looking ahead but also when she checks mirrors and hand on gears, position lost

XX

2nd time around...

Part 2....Passed May 07

#35 09-11-07 19:33:14

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Am I expecting too much from her? I feel I want to steer for her and I feel a little dissapointed when she isn't getting much better.

2nd time around...

Part 2....Passed May 07

#36 09-11-07 19:37:27

Karenadi
Verified Member

Everytime the steering goes to pot reinforce: LOOK WHERE YOU ARE GOING!  Ask what she was looking at: look up quick and see for yourself where she's looking.

I have also in the passed (on a straight quiet road) got them to let go of the steering wheel completely, then said 'Look it goes straighter by itself!' :evil:

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#37 09-11-07 19:41:24

spikeyperch

Everytime the steering goes to pot reinforce: LOOK WHERE YOU ARE GOING!  Ask what she was looking at: look up quick and see for yourself where she's looking.

I have also in the passed (on a straight quiet road) got them to let go of the steering wheel completely, then said 'Look it goes straighter by itself!' :evil:

Top notch advice from a top notch instructor. Ain't nothing like experience to give you the edge. If any of you PDI's out there want advice, you would be well advised to consult Karen, I personally rate her as one of the best ADI's on this forum, I think many others do as well. Ev

#38 09-11-07 19:47:56

Karenadi
Verified Member

Evan: you make me very blush.  Thank you so much for your comments. :oops: :oops: :oops:

#39 09-11-07 20:09:15

spikeyperch

Yeah well you know what they say love, ''if you want quantity go to Lidl's, if you want quality, look for something with a bit of a good name tag attached to it''. wink Ev

#40 17-11-07 18:09:28

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Hi al
Lessons going well again, hoping to solve the steering problem tomorrow morning. My little 17 yearold star pupil is doing great.
Just thought I would share a scary moment I had today. At quite awkward junction on slope, turning left my pupil never quite got position correct on approach so we were more or less straight. Busy to the right so when clear she steered to left, pressing gas quite abit for some unknown reason, this caused her to over steer a bit then with panic, she came back in too much, mounted kerb slightly. I did get car totaly under control by using duals and grabbing steering wheel. I must admit, my heart was pounding and I was shaking like a leaf. We pulled over, I never let pupil see how scared I was, she was also very shook up. It was quite a bad situation, I calmed her down then off we went.
Again I am chuffed how well I took over the situation and am suprised we didn't hit anything. It also made me realise how dangerous this job can be if the instructor lapses for a split second. I know that things like this need to be prevented before they happen, but I am still pretty new on my trainee, so a very valuable lesson was learned today by myself and pupil. She does have a bit of trouble with position at junctions, I am trying to teach her at junctions to get position , stop then obs as position is very important. She has a habit of looking right on approach and nowhere else. She fully understood what went wrong, so maybe now she will remember that incident today.

joys of the job I guess!

Sandra PDI X

2nd time around...

Part 2....Passed May 07

#41 18-11-07 07:39:23

Karenadi
Verified Member

The very best can take you by surprise in a split second: be on your guard at all times: but remember you are human too.

Wait until one three lessons from test tries to turn off a roundabout on the wrong side of a dual carriageway! yikes yikes yikes

Well done for keeping it all under wraps.  You will learn more and more as time goes by and become better at anticipating and acting quicker.  All part of the learning curve. lol

#42 18-11-07 12:35:04

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Thanks karen, I AM HOPING TO BE AS GOOD AS YOU ONE DAY! I would like to add a smiley but not sure how to.

Ive just seen lady with steering/position problem, what a great improvement today, we were both well chuffed. She is still steering too much at roundabouts and left turns, but position driving straight was miles better. Give me bit of a confidence boost, and her.
Oh well, got to go now ready for next pupil; still can not believe I am actually teaching real pupils.

Sandra PDI X

2nd time around...

Part 2....Passed May 07

#43 18-11-07 14:50:27

Karenadi
Verified Member

Remember:  steering issues can be cured: tell her everytime she wanders: look further.  At roundabouts, again, I reckon you'll find she's looking down.  Keep plodding on you'll get there.

Its not about being good: it's about experience Sandra.  You will also gain that experience.  Keep at it.

BTW for smilies: when you've posted click on 'preview' rather than 'post' at the bottom, and you'll get lots of smilies to play with.

#44 18-11-07 18:54:09

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Thanks again. Just trying it out now.
:afro: tongue :police: wink neutral  roll :evil: tongue lol 8-) big_smile yipee!

San x

2nd time around...

Part 2....Passed May 07

#45 17-08-08 18:33:07

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Hi

Not wrote on here much lately, feel I have no time sad
My second trainee lic is up in a couple of weeks and my test is about 4 weeks later. I am feeling right fed up with having no time for myself at weekends, as I work full time and teach sat and sundays. I sometimes do the odd evening. Yesterday and today I was so peed off with listening to pupils problems and to be honest I was just clock watching and not feeling 100% dedicated. I even had one pupil ask me was I fed up with doing this job neutral (she knows I also work but does not know I am trainee) which brings me to another big problem, how do I tell my few pupils I am having 4 weeks off? I know I should not worry but I do, especially one lady who loves her lessons, she will be devastated.
I can not wait for those 4 weeks off so I can spend time at home with hubby and do what I like.

If I do get through my 3rd test tongue I will have to take more pupils on to gain enough to leave my full time job, and this worries me ( I do have a frachise with small school). I will be doing more lessons weekends again so I feel so confused at what I really want. I have had weeks where I have cried because I do not want to teach, not good is it?

Well maybe its not the job for me afterall as its been going on for so long and I think I am bored with it b4 I even get my green badge.

Sorry for being a moaner but that is how I feel about it all lately.

sandra :cry:

2nd time around...

Part 2....Passed May 07

#46 17-08-08 19:23:28

evanadi

There is nothing like working 7 days a week to make you feel down Sandra, it also makes you stale. I think you need to take a bit of time off and get the batteries recharged before your test.

Just my opinion, and I hope your next part 3 goes well. Ev

#47 17-08-08 19:48:37

hector
Verified Member
Website

All work and no play is no good!

When I started still with full time job, I used to start work at 4 am in Macclesfield driving a ambulance, then at 12 oclock drive to Manchester for training, about 3 id take out pupils till 6, then finish at work after another couple of hours. Then start again next day, including weekends.
Mad but seemed a good idea at the time. Trouble is done stupid hrs for the last 9 years and you get to the point where enough is enough.

You need time away from it, if you have a real job which i bet you do (I didnt, driving nurses and elderly people around wasnt real work!) working on building sites in all waethers was. To do a hard job and Driving instruction is very difficult.

Tell your pupils whatever but worry about yourself not them! They wont over worry about you! Take the time out and come back refreshed and fired up.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#48 17-08-08 19:50:56

evanadi

Tell your pupils whatever but worry about yourself not them! They wont over worry about you! Take the time out and come back refreshed and fired up.

Excellent advice. Ev

#49 17-08-08 20:39:34

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Thanks for advise, I do have a manual job spraying all day in factory. I also lift heavyish stuff quite a lot which can be tiring, especially in this warm weather.
Hopefully I will feel better after break.

Sandra

2nd time around...

Part 2....Passed May 07

#50 26-08-08 15:19:43

HereComesTrouble

First time I met a pupil was the day after my green badge arrived. I turned up, they got in and away I went. never looked back. It doesn't have to be bad. Just like the first day in any job really. Relax, enjoy it and WHATEVER YOU DO do NOT tell your pupil this is your first go!

Board footer