You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 15-08-08 23:00:37

MsZetec2.0

Eco driving...and a wee update o/

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is doing OK and is enjoying life on the open road.  big_smile Haven't been on much as haven't been doing too well lately. Also been too skint to drive much (and have had problems with the car), hence my post. Heard lots recently about this and gather there are techniques that can be taught to increase your MPG - something I desparately need to do with the rise in petrol prices. Can anyone advise who I would approach for such instruction? Any courses? Any books out there? I understand the IAM teaches a bit of this with their test preparation? Thinking about contacting my old instructor to ask about this.

I have been mostly learning to caravan this last year. I have only managed to go on holiday once this year but it was a proper tour with 3 separate stops on a wide variety of roads. Also towed quite a bit when not on holiday for practice, and am also now comfortable towing solo with no one in the car with me, when I had to take the van in for repair. I am surprised and delighted how quickly I have gotten used to it, and it's not nearly as hard as I thought it'd be. Am confident I can handle most situations that arise with the rig. I can even reverse it down my drive, which is on a hill and not exactly wide.

[IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg90/MissZetec/Wonkyhitchnewvan009.jpg[/img]

The current van is what you'd call a "classic"  lol of 1978 vintage, but is in much nicer condition than the 1980s one we had before it, which was riddled with damp, broken appliances and an over-run braking system in desparate need of an overhall. Did the job for a few weeks and let us get away. Nothing better for me now than hitching up my bed and sodding off for some chill out time by the sea.

[IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg90/MissZetec/CaravanholidayMay08Lennyandvanpitch.jpg[/img]

Please excuse the gaffer tape on the bumper - I was only just paid out the write-off money for my accident earlier this year and the car needed more work than I thought to get through the MOT. Once that was done I started to mold it into the car I wanted but a certain mechanic has FUBARd quite a bit of the work that I am still trying to put right. I am very much at a crossroads with this car whether to keep going with it or to cut my losses and buy something cheaper to insure, repair and fill with fuel.

I am hopefully going back to college next month to start my car repair evening class again, providing sufficient numbers sign up. Once I have had a proper look at what needs doing and discussed with the tutor what can realistically be achieved then I will be in a better position to decide what to do. Shame they can't do a similar course for caravans - am currently rebuilding the brakes! One side was not braking at all but Lenny is such a good tow car that he can really keep it under control and the van is only 70% of Lenny's weight even fully loaded. The beauty of an older van......

I will leave you with some holidays pics and all my very best wishes. xx

[IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg90/MissZetec/CaravanholidayMay08Muasdalebeach4.jpg[/img]

[IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg90/MissZetec/CaravanholidayMay08stunningsunsetov.jpg[/img]

[IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg90/MissZetec/CaravanholidayMay08MullofKintyreBea.jpg[/img]

[IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg90/MissZetec/CaravanholidayMay08BanksofLochFyne-.jpg[/img]

[IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg90/MissZetec/CaravanholidayMay08ferrycomingintoG.jpg[/img]

(on a car ferry for the first time this year - enjoyed it!  big_smile Dog didn't!  sad Was terrified the poor love. Likes caravanning tho - )

[IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg90/MissZetec/CaravanholidayMay08Jazonhols.jpg[/img]

And I get scared but I'm not crawling on my knees...

http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/index.p … ral/26123/

May all your crossroads be signposted.

15-08-08 23:00:37

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Eco driving...and a wee update o/

#2 16-08-08 08:05:59

Disky
Verified Member
Website

nice one Jaz, great to see you back with it again, hope you feel much better now.

Lenny, still going, OMG,, and what have we said about calling cars names ?? LOLOLOL

P.S. Try Dunoon, Hunters Quay, it's ace smile

#3 16-08-08 13:21:17

MsZetec2.0

Yep Lenny's still going, tin worm eating him tho......and the new doors don't fit as they should and are now leaking....  neutral Dunno wot can be done there really. Just had new springs fitted on the rear, just about to change the front struts myself today but already driving much more positively than before. Not as much body roll and not as twitchy. Like it.  big_smile

And I get scared but I'm not crawling on my knees...

http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/index.p … ral/26123/

May all your crossroads be signposted.

Board footer